Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
All Women's Martial Arts Camp - Would You Go?

Author Topic: All Women's Martial Arts Camp - Would You Go?  (Read 12446 times)

7 Star

Re:All Women's Martial Arts Camp - Would You Go?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2004, 12:51:24 PM »
Wado - Yes, I'll be at the next open sparring. I went to a street fighting/sparring seminar sponsored by Professors Fred King and Dan Anderson recently. I have some new techniques to try out on you.  ;D I was one of a handful of women there amongst 60-70 guys. The room seemed to "tilt a little to the left" for a few minutes until I got used to being in such a minority again. Have you ever momentarily noticed that something's "different" when you've trained with 30 women and you're the only guy?

Jess - I was hoping that the guys who read this topic would pass along the information to the women they train with. Thanks for falling into my trap! :D

Offline Jess

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2004, 02:03:19 PM »
7 Star - Your welcome.
If that's the only trap I fall into this year I can live with it.
Best of luck
Sifu Lauren Jessup,

Northern Tum Pai Tai Chi Ch'uan
Under GM Jay Burkey

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2004, 07:46:22 PM »
Wado - Yes, I'll be at the next open sparring. I went to a street fighting/sparring seminar sponsored by Professors Fred King and Dan Anderson recently. I have some new techniques to try out on you.  ;D

New techniques to try on moi? Je pense que oui.

I was one of a handful of women there amongst 60-70 guys. The room seemed to "tilt a little to the left" for a few minutes until I got used to being in such a minority again. Have you ever momentarily noticed that something's "different" when you've trained with 30 women and you're the only guy?

Yeah, I start wishing I actually knew how to speak in French. Err... that's not what you meant is it? See, everything is going good until I start opening my mouth.  :'(

Actually, I don't tend to feel different as much because of gender, I think part of it is just if you don't know very many of the people that you are training with. There is definitely more of a "comfort zone" when you know the people you train with. It has pros and cons, there is benefit to train with new people as well as train consistently with people you know.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2004, 08:49:39 AM »
You might want to consider putting my lesser half in the daycare for our visit.

Hmm...  I was wondering what she was laughing at as she was shutting off the computer. I hope what she meant was that I should volunteer my services for childcare and not that I should place in it. Moving right along...

7 Star, I read a couple of books by Professor Dan Anderson. He writes very well. In addition to learning new techniques, can I assume he did a good job teaching?

Thanks,
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

7 Star

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2004, 10:48:16 AM »
Yes, Dan Anderson is a great teacher. He's able to convey concepts in a very simple straight forward manner. The techniques and drills he showed us for reading what our sparring partner was going to throw at us were quite effective. I came away with several useful things from that 4-5 hour seminar instead of the usual one or two.  

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2004, 11:04:47 AM »
Janette,

We hope to stop by 7 Star Women next Wednesday. My wife is planning to train in the advanced class. I look forward to meeting you and Sifu Michelle McVadon either before or after class.

You folks are an inspiration. We always appreciate seeing something unique. Your efforts not only help the art grow, but also empower women.

Respectfully,
Andrew
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline pea_chee_keen

• White Belt
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2004, 12:26:58 AM »
I have to say that a an all womens camp sounds good at first but the guys do have a point. I mean yes it is more comfortable for women to practice with women and vise versa, but think about it, when your doing a take down or a throw would you rather learn to throw some one bigger than you (like a guy) or someone who is the same size or close (like a women). I don't see how cutting men out could realy help. Besides there something about big sweaty men that make this sport interesting....
So I guess what I'm saying is are there any co-ed camps out there?
Jamie

kadena

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2004, 01:15:18 PM »
Practically every seminar and camp offered is co-ed. Try the Events Listing on this forum to find one. Where you're from (Oregon) the Mo Duk Pai schools have a co-ed camp in Portland every year.  Many seminars and camps focus on only one style (or 3-4 at most) while at the two women's only camps mentioned above you can be exposed to anywhere from 10-15 styles assuming you're able to take every class.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2004, 04:26:39 PM »
Good Afternoon:

7 Star good luck with the seminar. Unfortunately, Washington is out of my reach this year.

However, I will be in Vegas July 8-10 2004 for Sijos Birthday/Seminar/Tournament. If you guys can make that would be great.  ;D

Kadena, what is Mo Duk Pai?  ???

Thank you in advance for your time.

Soifua,
« Last Edit: June 10, 2004, 04:52:25 PM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

kadena

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2004, 05:56:45 PM »
Mo Duk Pai kung fu was started in 1983 by Professor Fred King, a student of Al Dacascos. To learn more about it you can go to www.modukpai.com.

Perhaps next year's PAWMA camp will be held in California again which may be closer to you. Although places like Hawaii, New Zealand and Canada have also been tossed around as possible camp locations.

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2004, 02:26:03 PM »
Someone wrote, "Practically every seminar and camp offered is co-ed."  ::)   In my feminist dreams!!

Most camps and seminars may have some form of female participation but the instruction is usually conducted by MEN. Hmm...

Yes, men may be stronger, strengthwise that is, and bigger, watch that beer gut, but some of us women are kinda fast.

Sheryl
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2004, 02:37:25 PM »
Kadena,

If it's brought to Hawaii, I imagine the turnout would be great.  Besides, it would be closer to me and I might be able to go.   :D  Only time will tell.

Kempomama is right.  Most of the instruction is done by men.  I think a mixture of both would be most beneficial to all.  

Keep up the good work everyone.

aloha,
brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Kadena

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2004, 03:11:34 PM »
Kempomama - I interpreted Pea_chee_keen's request for information regarding co-ed camps to mean camps where both men and women are welcome to attend not where instruction is provided by both sexes. My bad. However, the camp that I mentioned in Portland has both male and female instructors.

Kajushodan - If the camp were to be held in Hawaii do you know any women who would be willing to make all the arrangements necessary for reserving a site, accomodations, etc.? I'd love to go to Hawaii.  :D

Offline kempomama

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2004, 03:19:03 PM »
Kadena,

No problem. We're all brothers and sisters in the art. My hubbie asked me to get on the Cafe and put in my 2 cents. Anyway, are you in Portland? We will be there next Monday. Andrew keeps telling me about all the cool bridges and some gigantic bookstore that takes up a city block.

Doesn't Prof King train in Modern Arnis also?

Just curious,
Sheryl
Sifu Sheryl Baber Evans
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, Kansas

Kadena

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »
Kenpomama: Yes, Professor King trains in arnis and no, I'm not located in Portland. I'm in Seattle. There's a good chance we may meet on Wednesday or possibly Saturday. - Janette

Triwahine - Maybe I should have addressed the previous question to you about knowing any women in Hawaii who'd be willing to coordinate a PAWMA camp. Perhaps even yourself?  ;D