Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Re:knife laws

Author Topic: Re:knife laws  (Read 12358 times)

TODD

« on: April 02, 2004, 10:55:14 PM »
I looked through MN statute and found nothing on blades.  Does this law apply to hunting in CA?  I'm thinking 2 1/2 inches may do the job on a deer or bear but not feasible.
Nevermind, just looked at CA penal code and recieved a headache.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2004, 12:03:24 AM by Todd Reiner »

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 11:11:51 AM »
In 2 days, Ohio will be issuing licenses to carry a CONCEALED weapon to the general public. The cops are nervous. What gives, Texas has been doing this for years.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 12:37:25 PM »
I'm moving to Ohio 8) :o
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 12:37:55 PM »
Not
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 12:38:30 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

TODD

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 02:13:18 PM »
Minnesota had revised a concealed weapon law to make it easier to obtain a permit.  Before a sheriff could deny just cause.  Now theres guidelines based on past criminal history and mental illness.  The applications were far below what was anticipated.  So far no problems I'm aware of.  As in knives I don't know where this state stands.  I started looking and so far have nothing on knives.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 06:42:59 PM »
Kansas does not have a concealed carry law for guns but allows for knives up to 4". Thankfully, my favorite Benchmade is right under 4".

Unfortunately, whenever I travel into Colorado or Nebraska, I have to switch it over to a model that's under 3.5". For someone who carries more than one knife, that gets to be a lot of work.  ;D

Here's Kansas Statute No. 21-4201:

21-4201.   Criminal use of weapons. (a) Criminal use of weapons is knowingly:

(1)   Selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying any bludgeon, sandclub, metal knuckles or throwing star, or any knife, commonly referred to as a switch-blade, which has a blade that opens automatically by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in the handle of the knife, or any knife having a blade that opens or falls or is ejected into position by the force of gravity or by an outward, downward or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2)   carrying concealed on one's person, or possessing with intent to use the same unlawfully against another, a dagger, dirk, billy, blackjack, slungshot, dangerous knife, straight-edged razor, stiletto or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument of like character, except that an ordinary pocket knife with no blade more than four inches in length shall not be construed to be a dangerous knife, or a dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument;

(3)   carrying on one's person or in any land, water or air vehicle, with intent to use the same unlawfully, a tear gas or smoke bomb or projector or any object containing a noxious liquid, gas or substance;

(4)   carrying any pistol, revolver or other firearm concealed on one's person except when on the person's land or in the person's abode or fixed place of business;

(5)   setting a spring gun;

(6)   possessing any device or attachment of any kind designed, used or intended for use in suppressing the report of any firearm;

(7)   selling, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing or carrying a shotgun with a barrel less than 18 inches in length or any other firearm designed to discharge or capable of discharging automatically more than once by a single function of the trigger; or

(8)   possessing, manufacturing, causing to be manufactured, selling, offering for sale, lending, purchasing or giving away any cartridge which can be fired by a handgun and which has a plastic-coated bullet that has a core of less than 60% lead by weight.

(b)   Subsections (a)(1), (2), (3), (4) and (7) shall not apply to or affect any of the following:

(1)   Law enforcement officers, or any person summoned by any such officers to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace while actually engaged in assisting such officer;

(2)   wardens, superintendents, directors, security personnel and keepers of prisons, penitentiaries, jails and other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of crime, while acting within the scope of their authority;

(3)   members of the armed services or reserve forces of the United States or the Kansas national guard while in the performance of their official duty; or

(4)   manufacture of, transportation to, or sale of weapons to a person authorized under subsections (b)(1), (2) and (3) to possess such weapons.

(c)   Subsection (a)(4) shall not apply to or affect the following:

(1)   Watchmen, while actually engaged in the performance of the duties of their employment;

(2)   licensed hunters or fishermen, while engaged in hunting or fishing;

(3)   private detectives licensed by the state to carry the firearm involved, while actually engaged in the duties of their employment;

(4)   detectives or special agents regularly employed by railroad companies or other corporations to perform full-time security or investigative service, while actually engaged in the duties of their employment;

(5)   the state fire marshal, the state fire marshal's deputies or any member of a fire department authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to K.S.A. 31-157 and amendments thereto, while engaged in an investigation in which such fire marshal, deputy or member is authorized to carry a firearm pursuant to K.S.A. 31-157 and amendments thereto; or

(6)   special deputy sheriffs described in K.S.A. 2003 Supp. 19-827, and amendments thereto, who have satisfactorily completed the basic course of instruction required for permanent appointment as a part-time law enforcement officer under K.S.A. 74-5607a and amendments thereto.

(d)   Subsections (a)(1), (6) and (7) shall not apply to any person who sells, purchases, possesses or carries a firearm, device or attachment which has been rendered unserviceable by steel weld in the chamber and marriage weld of the barrel to the receiver and which has been registered in the national firearms registration and transfer record in compliance with 26 U.S.C. 5841 et seq. in the name of such person and, if such person transfers such firearm, device or attachment to another person, has been so registered in the transferee's name by the transferor.

(e)   Subsection (a)(8) shall not apply to a governmental laboratory or solid plastic bullets.

(f)   Subsection (a)(6) shall not apply to a law enforcement officer who is:

(1)   Assigned by the head of such officer's law enforcement agency to a tactical unit which receives specialized, regular training;

(2)   designated by the head of such officer's law enforcement agency to possess devices described in subsection (a)(6); and

(3)   in possession of commercially manufactured devices which are: (A) Owned by the law enforcement agency; (B) in such officer's possession only during specific operations; and (C) approved by the bureau of alcohol, tobacco and firearms of the United States department of justice.

(g)   It shall be a defense that the defendant is within an exemption.

(h)   Violation of subsections (a)(1) through (a)(5) is a class A nonperson misdemeanor. Violation of subsection (a)(6), (a)(7) or (a)(8) is a severity level 9, nonperson felony.

(i)   As used in this section, "throwing star" means any instrument, without handles, consisting of a metal plate having three or more radiating points with one or more sharp edges and designed in the shape of a polygon, trefoil, cross, star, diamond or other geometric shape, manufactured for use as a weapon for throwing.

History:   L. 1969, ch. 180, § 21-4201; L. 1978, ch. 365, § 1; L. 1981, ch. 145, § 1; L. 1982, ch. 135, § 2; L. 1982, ch. 136, § 1; L. 1986, ch. 126, § 1; L. 1992, ch. 298, § 67; L. 1993, ch. 291, § 146; L. 1996, ch. 149, § 4; L. 1999, ch. 164, § 12; L. 2002, ch. 123, § 3; July 1.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Chief Instructor

• Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 11:02:33 PM »
One of the best places to start research on state law is to visit www.washlaw.edu and then scroll down to the particular state.

Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline SA_Kajukenbo

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2004, 10:48:48 PM »
For those of you with a CHL (Concealed Handgun License) www.packing.org is a fantastic site that shows what states honor other states licenses and which have have written reciprocity.  Sure makes your travel planning easier if you are taking handguns with you.  Have gun, will travel.
Sifu John Hood KSDI#4001
5th Degree
Pastor - His Time Missions; Ebenezer SMC
"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1

Offline tucsonkajukenbopoe

• White Belt
  • Carpe Diem
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2004, 04:25:55 AM »
"... upon the grounds of, or within, any public or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, is guilty of a public offense, punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or by imprisonment in the state prison."

The law you provided Mockster, which state is it from?  Or which municipality?  It seems all the descriptions leading up to what I have quoted above describes persons exempt from criminal punishment if they bring an item/weapon as it described... *upon the grounds of, or within any private or public school, etc.*  So it seems this is just an offshoot, specifically deeming it illegal to bring such items onto public or private school property... so this law would not apply to anywhere else other than said institutions (the schools), right?

In Arizona, so I've been told, a knife is considered a tool unless used otherwise.  The manager at the knife shop likened it to someone carrying a screwdriver around in their pocket... heck, you never know when you'll need to screw something, right?  But if you stabbed someone with a screwdriver, you'd be in just as much trouble if you stabbed them with a knife, or a fountain pen, or an ice pick.  

I was also told switchblades and other automatic or spring-open typed of knives are legal here as well... because they are tools.  I don't believe they can be "concealed" however; either a pocket clip must be showing or they have to be in a belt-type case, or such.  I am still researching all these laws... because just because the knife store manager told me something to maybe convince me to go ahead and buy a knife I'm unsure I can carry... doesn't mean he was telling me the truth or that he was correct.

Also, AZ is one of those great CCW handgun states as well, I mean, c'mon, it's the Old West!  Everyone here seems to have a gun, but there are laws (like the one Mockster posted) stating where you CANNOT have a concealed weapon... the first one coming to mind was schools and churches.

Great info from everyone, thanks for letting me throw in my 2 Bits!

Patrick, Tucson's Kajukenbo Poet

Offline GhoSSt

• denied
  • White Belt
  • Small Tiger Kaju Instructor
State Knife Laws
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 03:11:49 PM »
http://www.packing.org/state/

A good resource for carrying blades, and if so inclined, weapons of the bang/boom sort.
Kelly 'Ghosst' Rosato
Small Tiger Kaju Instructor. Robert Rapue, Ron Carlson, Bob Orlando Variety
http://www.ghostwheeltech.net/stkjkb.html

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
-Voltaire

Offline rockatear

• Blue Belt
  • "Study your teacher carefully", Professor Bones
    • JustThink.Us
Re: 950: knife laws
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 02:11:54 AM »
I'm in San Diego for a 4-day work conference and went over to Tijuana today.  Some of the vendors had these glass knives and swords, some even looked to be at least 1 inch or more thick.  Beautiful looking, but I couldn't imagine their use.  Anybody know anything about glass swords and how they've been used in the martial arts?  Does any one know if people perform with them in weapon forms tournaments?

Thanks,
Shirley Phelps, blue blelt, Hand to Hand Kajukenbo Self-Defense Center, Oakland, CA, www.handtohandkajukenbo.com, Gaylord Method, Chief Head Instructors:  Sifus Jen Resnick and Sonya Richardson

Offline GhoSSt

• denied
  • White Belt
  • Small Tiger Kaju Instructor
Re: 950: knife laws
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 07:22:11 AM »
I'm in San Diego for a 4-day work conference and went over to Tijuana today.  Some of the vendors had these glass knives and swords, some even looked to be at least 1 inch or more thick.  Beautiful looking, but I couldn't imagine their use.  Anybody know anything about glass swords and how they've been used in the martial arts?  Does any one know if people perform with them in weapon forms tournaments?

As a judge at several MA tournaments I've seen plexiglass and clear polycarbonate weapons which I've got no issue with. But a true GLASS weapon, even a tempered glass one, I'd have serious issues with. Given that glass has very poor flexibility, impact characteristics and is very brittle, I can imagine several very plausible scenarios with disasterous outcomes. A hard swing could flex the weapon leading to fragments breaking off and flying into a crowd or even a slight slight mistake causing a weapon tip to hit the ground could leave a practice/performance area littered with thousands of glass shards in areas that are crowded with barefooted tournament goers or a classroom full of students. These are issues that are rare with wood, metal,  polycarbonate or other plastic based products.
Kelly 'Ghosst' Rosato
Small Tiger Kaju Instructor. Robert Rapue, Ron Carlson, Bob Orlando Variety
http://www.ghostwheeltech.net/stkjkb.html

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it.
-Voltaire

LOYALONEHK

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 07:51:51 AM »
http://www.coldsteel.com/strider.html

Rather than start a new thread, I put this here for people that may be interested...  Its a link to Cold Steel that hs some very interesting information reguarding Strider Knives.  If you a collector of sorts and a patriot you may want to take a moment and read on...

Comments?  Opinions? Thoughts?

Offline cirillo

• Moderators
  • Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 11:57:07 AM »
Opinion:  No big surprise... sorry but this sort of thing is everywhere, just that Strider managed to take it further than many.  It suggests he is a smart con artist.  We see it in martial arts, business, politics (all of it), every field... hopefully they get caught sooner or later.

Thoughts:  This is why I don't believe ANYTHING anybody says until I see it (or feel it, which is my preferred way to go when it comes to training).  It is also why REAL quality is hard to sell in martial arts, people would rather believe a fantasy.  8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 05:44:58 PM »
Holy googaly moogaly
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision