Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo

Author Topic: WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo  (Read 4637 times)

Offline crswilfsh

• White Belt
    • Loveland Martial Arts Academy
WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo
« on: March 25, 2004, 02:23:46 PM »
     I was curious if there was an accurate way to describe the departure that WHKD takes from Emperado Method?  How much Emperado Method is actually taught in WHKD?  What would the transition be like, if switching from Emperado Method to WHKD?  
     I understand that WHKD's base is Emperado Method, but it seems to me, that WHKD is its own completely different art.  Any information would be helpful.  Thanks!

Chris    

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
Re:WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2004, 12:07:49 PM »
Hello Chris,

WHKD uses Kajukenbo as its roots.  We still teach a good number of the standard Kajukenbo techniques.  However, we do not really consider these completely WHKD, we consider them Kajukenbo.  We do not consider it "switching" from one style to another, but that each of the styles that have been incorporated is "part" of our system.  If it doesn't "fit" we do not consider it WHKD. Kajukenbo obviously "fits" quite well with what we do. Sifu Dacascos would say, WHKD is derived originally as an evolution of his martial arts from Kajukenbo, but is now different than Kajukenbo.  However, we are not totally separate from Kajukenbo.  A tree without its roots would die, eh?

Much of the Emperado method is taught within WHKD.  Actually, just to give you some idea, it may be nearly all of the "Original Method".  However, I must qualify that because I have never trained just in Kajukenbo.  I know we teach 4 or the original 8 forms as a single WHKD form.  So possibly other aspects of Kajukenbo are only partly taught.  In general our techniques are pretty comprehensive though.  As Professor Scott mentions, our tests tend to be very long.  The 3 hour test he attended (and I attended) in Hawaii was what I would consider a relatively short test for WHKD.

I hope that this information helps you.  Please feel free to ask any additional more specific questions you might have that I failed to answer.
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline crswilfsh

• White Belt
    • Loveland Martial Arts Academy
Re:WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2004, 09:07:13 PM »
Gentlemen, thanks for your answers to my questions.  Your information was very helpful.  

Offline Prof. Ben Fajardo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
    • WHKD-Nubreed Fighting Systems
Re: WHKD compared to Kajukenbo Kenpo
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:14:29 PM »
In the red book that every student get's at any WHKD Academy carries the information on what is required for advancement in rank. Grandmaster Dacascos has kepted as requirements the Kajukenbo Right hand punch counter's numbered 1-21, Kajukenbo Grab counters 1-10 along with the Kajukenbo Club and knife counters 1-10. All of the Kajukenbo techniques are broken down to find the hidden principles behind their use, and used with WHKD expressions of fighting principles attached. Sifu Ben Fajardo
Professor Ben Fajardo-Kajukenbo WHKD under GM Al Dacascos.
Train the way you fight and fight the way you train..
http://www.makephpbb.com/nubreed/

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 01:30:02 AM »
It is more a question of semantics thant anything else, but wouldn't every section of Kajukenbo be considered "Emperado Method?"  I am not trying to offend those in the Ch'uan Fa, Wun Hop Kun Do, or the Tum Pai branches.  Just a question.  :)
Dan Tyrrell

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 09:50:11 AM »
It is more a question of semantics thant anything else, but wouldn't every section of Kajukenbo be considered "Emperado Method?" I am not trying to offend those in the Ch'uan Fa, Wun Hop Kun Do, or the Tum Pai branches. Just a question. :)

Dan,

I am sorry, but I am not really sure what you are asking.  Could you clarify your question a little for me... sorry, maybe I am dense, lol. ;D  Got hit in the head too many times. 8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2005, 09:41:13 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:11:14 PM by badsifu »
Dan Tyrrell

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
OK, I think I get it.

It is just a term that has been used to refer to what is sometimes considered near to the original system taught.  It is certainly true that all the branches are under Kajukenbo, but since different people have influenced them, they are sometimes called their method; whereas, the original is often referred to as the Emperado method.  I just use the terms as they are commonly used, no inference intended toward them having no relationship to the original, as far as I know, they all do have their roots in the Emperado Method.  I don't think that most people using this term are inferring anything different from what you have said... though some may be... I can't speak for what they are trying to say. ;D  A tree without roots dies.

With that said, some of the methods have incorporated a great deal of other things.  For example, when we tested four Wun Hop Kuen Do black belts at Sifu Al Dela Cruz' school in Honolulu 2 years ago, many of the Kajukenbo black belts (and there were a huge number of them there, including Co-Founder Frank Ordanez) stated to me that they were shocked at how much had been incorporated by GM Dacascos into WHKD.  So I would say that there is some reason to differentiate between the different branches, they don't teach exactly the same thing.

Now... we can go back to getting hit in the head... yes, more. 8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2005, 11:02:03 AM by cirillo »
College Station, TX