Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Check out International Shaolin Kenpo Association [Home Page]

Author Topic: Check out International Shaolin Kenpo Association [Home Page]  (Read 8163 times)

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • WORLD MARTIAL ARTS MASTERS
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do

Karazenpo

Re:Check out International Shaolin Kenpo Association [Home Page]
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2004, 10:58:37 AM »
Did you check out the 'lineage chart'? It has Chow and Mitose independant of each other going back to 1600 AD Ch'uan Fa with no connection of Chow coming under Mitose, showing Chow coming directly from Shaolin and both of them coming together at the 'Official Self Defense Club'. Why is this myth continually perpetuated? Is it because of Mitose's criminal background? The way I look at it, none were as bad as the Japanese Samurai, yet they are always acknowledged in the birth of Japanese Jui Jitsu! Ed Parker's American Kenpo does not acknowledge Mitose in their lineage either yet no Mitose-no kenpo-no Chow-no Parker! Go figure! ;)

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2004, 11:50:36 AM »
Don't get me started >:(
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Jon Pack

• Yellow Belt
    • www.chippewavalleykempo.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2004, 01:30:29 PM »
GGM Castro's expression of the art is all his creation and that of the instructors under him. He was influenced by the teachers before him but his system is not what was being taught before him. I believe his instructors created forms for the system and are known by these forms names in their hierarchy. The only part of his system I have been exposed to is a form called Eagle Spreads its Wings. A high level form in the system that was created by one of his daughters that goes by that title. Great form, very long, a great expression of the kenpo as learned from the Fifteenth Degree. As far as lineage goes I find it interesting that so many claim to be direct lineage from Shaolin. The purists claim that over dozens of years of research there is no connection to Shaolin from Okinawa or some of these other country's(Adam Hsu's Sword Polishers Record) is one example. My personal thoughts are just take an honest look at the arts in question and you can tell the influences that are there. Much of this is marketing and is also influened by politics around WWII.
Chief Instructor
Chippewa Valley Kempo
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Offline kajugolfer

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
  • just train and be humble
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2004, 02:40:02 PM »
 ???Yeah you think that's bad, we have this guy running around never train kajukenbo and kosho ryu and yet he is a grandmaster. He is higher than his claimed teacher in kajukenbo and same level as the grandmaster of kosho ryu. Now he stands infront of his students and parents and told them that he is no longer kajukenbo, strickly kosho ryu. I guess T.B. Mitose did'nt check his background either. Have a nice day, maybe we'll see this guy in Vegas this July and he'll be inducted to the Hall of Fame.
Jay B. Cabauatan Sr.  Prof. 8th Degree Black Belt Training under Grandmaster Edmund Louis.
Leeward Kenpo Karate Asso.  Pearl City, island of Oahu Hawaii.
Fight to Train, Train to Fight, Fight to Win...Go For Broke

Karazenpo

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004, 10:28:19 PM »
  I believe it was Professor Sedeno who told me the original forms of Gm. Castro's Shaolin Kenpo were developed when Gm. Castro was studying under Professor Chow and he would introduce a technique or two in class. Gm. Castro began weaving the techniques together to create forms, that way the original techniques he was taught will always be remembered and practiced in the katas of the system. I'm sure later on his daughters and students contributed other forms to the system but I am talking about the original core curriculum.  As far as the purists stating there is no connection between Shaolin and Okinawa ::) just let me say this. Gm. Pat McCarthy is one of the foremost authorities on the Okinawan martial arts and he has stated that Okinawan karate is 80 per cent Chinese Kung Fu, so take it from there ;)

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
    • Sedeno's School of Self-Defence
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2004, 11:30:02 PM »
Aloha all,

I've been reading some of these post and I have to say that it only show what happens when people go off half cocked!!

In the GGM Castro system of Shaolin Kenpo he put all the forms together.  The early forms are all based on what he learned from GGM W. K. S. Chow.  The later forms are from him as his expression of o the concepts that he learned.  

The forms are assigned, NOT MADE UP BY STUDENTS, to students that he feels can represent that particular form.  That student is responsible for that form in the future to keep it as he learned it for others to follow if they are unsure of their memory of the form.

For those of you who have never trained in Hawaii in the 1960’s or 1970’s, as I did, you may not understand that on any given night what you were thought you may never see again.  Or at least, you may not see those techniques again for a year or so.  So GGM Castro was bright enough to realize this and take what he learned on any given night and add it to what he learned during the next class and make a form out of it.  In this way he kept what he learned from GGM Chow as pure as the night he learned it.

I started training in Kajukenbo in 1962.  I started training in GGM (Prof.) Chows techniques from Prof. Chow and Brother Abe Kamahoahoa in 1966.  I started training in Shaolin Kenpo with GM Rick Alemany in 1968 and I found his forms great to practice because it was very similar to the techniques that I learned from Bro.Abe and Prof. Chow.  That is why I stayed with the style along with my kajukenbo training.

I hope this answers some of your questions.  I too like Eagle Spreads It’s Wings and I won 1st place at two International Karate Championships in Long Beach with that form.

Mahalo,
Eugene Sedeño
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Karazenpo

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 12:30:49 AM »
Thanks Professor Sedeno, pretty much what I remembered from our conversations. I was hoping you would clear this up. No offense to any of the other posters but the history of our lineages can be very convoluted and it can be tough at times to sift out fact from fiction. Respectfully, Professor Joe
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 12:32:15 AM by Professor Joe Shuras »

Offline Jon Pack

• Yellow Belt
    • www.chippewavalleykempo.com
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 08:41:39 AM »
I hope to clear up a couple comments I made. That GGM forms are not what was taught before him. Just that there where no forms taught back then. NOT that it did not represent what Chow was indeed teaching. I think you for sharing your knowledge. It is interesting to know that the instructors are guardians of the forms of the system and did not create them. I am going to share with the students here about doing techniques and not getting back to them for some time if at all, this is common place at our school. I have made a real effort to make the techniques a natural extension of the moves and conepts that are the theme of that class or classes. If the Professor did this, it must be o.k. :).
Chief Instructor
Chippewa Valley Kempo
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2004, 01:55:45 PM »
Aloha All,

Now you're on the right track.

Bro. Abe, at the time, was considered Prof. Chow's top student practicing on Oahu and he did teach us forms.  They were Okinawa forms.  At the time I didn't correlate the difference, but we did learn forms.

One of the high lights of the class was near the end when Bro. Abe would have us all running in a large circle around the class while he was in the middle performing many different kata’s.  I really enjoyed the visual.

Mahalo and Aloha
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline The Kai

• Yellow Belt
    • Kai Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 01:42:35 PM »
MR Sedeno
I study under GM Jordan, who is under GM Alemany the forms are the same yet there are numbers instead of names.   Which form is Eagel spreads it wings in the Alemany number system??
Todd
Todd Martin
Kenpo

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 02:35:03 PM »
Aloha Todd,

There is no number,  it was called the advance form.

Originally all the long forms were called things like intermediate #1, #2 ect, counter punch #1, #2 etc..  Now they all have names, but some of us know certain forms by several different names.

Anyway I hope that answered your question.

Mahalo
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 02:41:32 PM »
Todd,

I forgot to mention that we use both numbers and names for the forms.  This was because we did some of the forms out of order and this kept the confusion down.

Example,  Dance #1 = Mountain Meets River,  Dance #1A = Lightning Ram which is actually the eleventh form in the system.

All of the short forms are numbered under GM Alemany.

Mahalo
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline KenpoStudent00

• White Belt
Re: Check out International Shaolin Kenpo Association [Home Page]
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 09:41:40 PM »
I have read the above posts and do not know if this will help but I am a student of GGM Ralph Castro and I hope that I can lend some bit of clarity to the above posts. First I should say that I have only been studying at his school in Daly City since January of 2000 and I consider myself a lowly student of someone who has lived more and forgot more than I will ever be privileged to be exposed too.
Mr. Sedeno is very correct in his statements as far as I can tell in my conversations with GGM Castro he has essentially told me what Mr. Sedeno has stated above.
And while I am not a historian so I will not comment on the linage issue I  can tell you that the core “dances” have both numbers and names. The numbers seem to reflect the order in which he seems to want us to learn them and the names reflect the lesson that he is trying to teach us with that dance. As an example I offer to you Dance # 1 or “Mountain Meets River” It is the 1st dance and the lesson that I got out of it was how to “be like water”. The “dances” named after animals reflect and use those animal expressions and each has a lesson to be learned.
As far as the dances being assigned goes once again Mr. Sedeno is correct. If you study long enough he will name you (I’m Tiger Runs Down Mountain) and if you really stay long enough he will assign you as guardian of a dance that he feels reflects both your personality and your body style or movement if you will. Much to my regret I have only been his student for 11+ years and as of yet do not qualify for such a privilege.
I would like to add that the way in which he has constructed the Exercises, Sets and core dances as well as the Advanced Knifes and advanced Dances is just plain fun to work out with and helps keep the students old and new alike interested and eager to learn how to use what they are thought in some new way.  Just a hint if you have never been exposed to his style of teaching everything taught to you will need to be expressed Forwards, backwards, 4 winds, left handed and right handed as well in the “wall” style. As far as I can tell and I have not been exposed to all of it ( believe me ) there are at least 15 exercises, 15 sets, 26 core dances and at least a half dozen “advanced dances” that I am aware of, that is more than enough to keep me interested and learning for the rest of my life.

Respectfully Wesley Peterson