Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo's Women Black Belts

Author Topic: Kajukenbo's Women Black Belts  (Read 67561 times)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: Kajukenbo's Women Black Belts
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2005, 01:55:32 PM »
Esther from my school
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2005, 02:09:38 PM »
more
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 02:10:41 PM »
and
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2005, 04:22:21 PM »
Sigung:

Very Nice - thanks for putting the photos up.

It was great seeing you guys in Fresno.

See ya soon.

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2005, 02:33:38 AM »
Post from C. Drake:

I know that Sifu Cox of Abilene Kajukembo has promoted two women as well.  One was Deana I believe and the other was ummm, I can't remember her name it was really recent, like within the last year.
[/font]

I think Mr. Cox has promoted 7 woman to Black Belt

Tricia Harvey, Kim Smith & Lynette Glandon (2000)

Sheryl Andrews (2001)

Norma Hatcher, Jessica Thompson & Aimee Tilley (2003)

Mr. Patrick Mcdaniel (Mr. Cox's instructor)   promoted Deanna Jordan in (1995)
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 04:09:17 AM »
There was another in 2004 I think her last name was Boro or something like that.
Cassidy Drake
In between affiliations right now

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2005, 10:31:34 AM »
C Drake:

How long did you train with Sifu Cox?

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2005, 02:26:41 PM »
UNfortunately only  about a year, and I was deployed off and on for seven months of that to Haiti and Iraq.  He was easily the best instructor I have ever had in the martial arts.  Great guy.  I wish I could have learned more from him, but then I was moved to Japan.  If you said Cassidy says hello, he would know exactly who you are talking about ;D
Cassidy Drake

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2005, 04:56:13 PM »
C Drake:

No problem, I will let him know.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline C Drake

• Blue Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2005, 05:01:10 PM »
Cool if you read the noble system thread on here, I stated how he really helped me out.  Once again he is a great person.
Cassidy Drake

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »
ouch Kick
GM John E Bono DC

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »
Aloha everyone!!! ;D
Well, I should have posted here long ago, as I do believe this to be a very important and key part in the evolution and strength of KAJUKENBO.  KAJUKENBO WOMEN BLACK BELTS........ :o
More often than not, scare me more than the men!  For real!
There is no doubt that the women/girls of KAJUEKNBO seem to be put "under the microscope" with regards to their training and abilities more so than the men/boys.
In the early "formative" years of the KAJUEKNBO system, women and children were no where to be found in a KAJUEKNBO school.  It just did not happen.  Not because of any form of discrimination, but because of the ferocity of the art, its practitioners and its brutal/realistic training methods.
Common sense and necessity for practical self-defense for not only men, but for women and children of all ages, race, and social standing began the process to modify and teach KAJUKENBO to everyone interested.
There were those who disagreed and still do when it comes to women in KAJUKENBO.  I respect everyone’s opinion, but don't believe those individuals have ever met or trained with the women that represent our art.
Without going on too long, I would like to mention a few names that come to mind.  And, please forgive me if I fail to mention or overlook any of these individuals as I am drawing from my memories as a new student and through my KAJUKENBO lifetime.  I have been most fortunate in having a job in the late 60's, early to late 70's that allowed me to travel the west coast of the United States.  Northern & Southern Washington, Oregon, and all of California.  Different schools, different teachers and an overview of KAJUKENBO's varying methods and Ohana's.
The first female that comes to my mind is "Auntie" Elizabeth "Liz" Chun.  She can be seen in a very early photo with the group class of Prof. Mitose and Prof. Chow.
Then in the 60’s I remember Mikki Rowe, Malia “Bernal” Dacascos,  as front runners, and then it began.  The door had been opened and KAJUKENBO found a place and method to fit everyone.
Also in the early to mid 60’s, women referees or judges were “un-heard” of.  And now a bit of history that I take special pride in is that it was one of our own that brought that barrier down forever.  My instructor the late Grandmaster Aleju “Al” Reyes broke the tradition at his annual “Northern Pacific Nationals” by inviting women black belts to judge at an open competition.
I’ll close for now and return after gathering photos and data on the women black belts that I have trained and promoted over the past 3 decades.  And I am proud to call myself their teacher and friend.   ;D

KAJUKENBO WOMEN FOREVER!!!
GM Gary Forbach

Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2005, 11:02:24 AM »
Hello again, "Especially all of the girls and women of KAJUKENBO"
After my last post, I began gathering photos and data on the many women I have had the pleasure and sometimes "pain" of teaching and training with while in the KAJUKENBO Ohana.  And I must say, I hope it's "alright" with all the females out there that I participate in this forum, as it is your "area" or forum!  :) 
I just wanted to take the time, as a "lifelong" student, instructor and now senior instructor of our great system, to introduce, recognize, and pay tribute to the women of KAJUKENBO that have been a big part of my training life.
I believe that is a shame and huge injustice that these dedicated and talented KAJUEKNBO practitioners have not been recognized “publicly” for their accomplishments and contributions to the KAJUKENBO system and to the martial arts in general.
My first recollection of any females within the KAJUKENBO has to be of Malia “Dacascos” Bernal.  This was in Northern California, back in the late ‘60’s and early ‘70’s.  I was training with GM Aleju “Al” Reyes in Suisun, CA. and attended many competitions in the “Bay Area”.  (The melting pot for KAJUKENBO in those early days)
In a word – “WOW”!  From the first time I saw her compete, I was one of her biggest fans and admirers.  As you might know, today Malia is best remembered and renowned for her strength and domination of the forms (or Kata) divisions.
But what many people might not know is that Malia was also the top female fighter as well.  Not just in Northern California, but nationwide.  Watching her perform was truly “a thing of beauty”.  Her forms were strong, fluid, and when she would compete, the entire competition would normally come to a stand still so that everyone in attendance could witness her anticipated performance.  Truthfully, I can’t remember a single competition that she did not take 1st place or Grand Champion!  She was one of the first women to compete with the men!  (And won!)  She is truly a pioneer and has a place forever in the history of KAJUKENBO/WUN HOP KUEN DO, as well as martial arts in general.
Malia had a huge part in the development of WUN HOP KUEN DO along with her husband at that time, GM Al Dacascos.  She was a student of GM Dacascos and developed into one of the top female martial artists in history.
For those of you familiar with the forms/kuens of WHKD, Malia was actually the one that developed and perfected them.  Some of Malia’s most well known students (along with GM Dacascos) include:  Christian Wulfe (Germany), Karen Shepard, Earl White and yes, let me not forget her son, Mark Dacascos. (Please forgive me if I didn’t list everyone)  ::)
In 1978 I had the privilege and honor of hosting a seminar at my San Clemente school with both Malia, and GM Al. (Also at the seminar, their student, GM Eric Lee.  “And back then, everyone was a Sifu!”)
During that seminar while GM Dacascos and GM Eric Lee were training (killing) us, Malia was introducing my wife at that time, Rhonda to the forms of WHKD that she had created.  Rhonda and I had been training with GM Eric Lee, learning the Kung-Fu forms and weapons taught to him by GM Dacascos.  This was only after I had completed my KAJUKENBO training with GM Reyes and received his permission to expand my knowledge and pursue my interest of the Kung-Fu arts within our system.
Since that time, I have taken every opportunity to visit or pay my respect to Malia at our events or any time I can.  With a little research, you can probably find many, many articles from the magazines of that period.  Also, if you’ve seen the Chuck Norris movie “Side Kicks”, Malia is the lady in the red uniform at the tournament, and that is a WHKD she's performing.
In recent conversations with Sigung Julio Hernandez, I have learned that Malia might be returning to involve herself in KAJUKENBO once again.
I hope we can make it possible for all students of KAJUKENBO (especially the females) to meet, train with and gain from the talent and knowledge of this martial arts legend and pioneer, Malia “Dacascos” Bernal.  (Maybe you ladies can rally together to organize a gathering/seminar with this KAJUKENBO legend!)   Truly one of my KAJUKENBO heroes!
Hopefully we can someday “profile”, not only Malia, but many of the women of KAJUKENBO.  Remember, this post is only some of my memories and thoughts and are not even a “drop in the bucket” with regards to the facts and accomplishments of this fantastic martial artist.
With respect,
GM Gary Forbach
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2005, 08:50:57 PM »
Some of the Women Black Belts of Tony Ramos Kajukenbo

Simoe Leah Ramos-Amiccuci

Ms. Cristin Gunther, Instructor Marilyn Molinari, Simoe Leah Ramos-Amiccuci, Ms. Dominique Molinari.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 02:08:02 AM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Mariel Maeso

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2005, 02:44:25 PM »
The wave almost got me jaja!
(Por poco me lleva la ola)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:41:03 PM by Mariel Maeso »
University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus
1st Degree Black Belt
Under Sigung Jerry Mendez 7th Degree Black Belt
www.kajukenbopuertorico.com