Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Inappropriate Comments?

Author Topic: Inappropriate Comments?  (Read 4957 times)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
Inappropriate Comments?
« on: February 02, 2004, 02:41:23 PM »
What would you say is deemed as inappropriate comments?

We addressed inappropriate touching in the dojo. Now lets see what we consider inappropriate speaking?

hmm...... ???

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re:Inappropriate Comments?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 04:45:43 PM »
inaproperiate speaking is when some one says that they are going to do something for an instructor but fails to do so.
Emil Bautista
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Seejay

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 06:51:08 PM »
It depends to whom you are speaking. If you are speaking to an instructor or someone of higher rank it is anything that disrespectful, if you are speaking to someone of the opposite sex it is anything sexually derogatory or humiliating, and no matter whom you are speaking to, anything that it meant to tear someone down (there is a difference between tearing someone down and challenging them to do better).
We should respect everyone in our dojo, and this applies to our speech as well as anything else.  It is not however an excuse to say that an instructor is picking on you, making inappropriate comments, etc.  when they verbally challenge you to do better.  Likewise, it is an instructor’s responsibility to be considerate of their students when they speak to them.
We have a responsibility to one another, no matter sex, race religion… to respect one another.
I personally am grateful that our Sigung not only gives his students this respect, but expects it from each and every one of us.
Heather Jacobs
Blue Belt
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Instructor: Sigung David Amiccuci

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2004, 08:37:08 PM »
Saying you are better than another student and believing therefore that your rank should be greater than theirs.  (Yes, unfortunately I've heard this one before)
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 02:43:43 PM »
If you have to wonder whether it is appropriate or not you should probably keep your mouth shut.  Just a good way to CYA. ;D
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 08:31:31 PM »
I'm sure your dad has explained to you the common police term, "Attitude Adjustment".  8)  Seems to apply here ;)
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 08:37:36 PM »
Shodanson,

What?  Total disrespect in my book.  I agree with Sigung Bishop: attitude adjustment

Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

sigungjoe

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2004, 09:54:09 AM »
I think that student should have been checked on the spot right there. One quick smack on the mouth as soon as the words came out.
Joe

Offline Julz

• White Belt
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2004, 04:21:48 AM »
I think that student should have been checked on the spot right there. One quick smack on the mouth as soon as the words came out.
Joe

Wouldn't that type of action go against the values we are taught?  My Sifu has always taught us that the best fight is the one that does not happen.

To attack a person simply because they have a dirty, disrespectful mouth would show a lack of self control on the part of the attacker.

Attitude adjustments can be made without violence.

Just my 2 cents.
Those who would beat their swords into plowshares, will plow for those of us who would not.

Offline DACS

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • THERE'S ALWAYS MORE TO LEARN!
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2004, 04:49:21 AM »
Well Julz I guess it would depend on how your class is run. Personally if I had acted as the above mentioned person, my instructor would hold a closed door session-- with me playing the part of the dummy/attacker for the rest of the blackbelters. That kind of attitude is just not tolerated. And I don't think a smack on the face would be considered violent........we all train in martial arts and should be used to getting smacked now and then. Our bodies get callused that way. I would assume that the smack on the face would be just a wake up call for the guy to put him in his place. As I have mentioned before, I as a blackbelter represent my instructor and my school, in no way would I want to disrespect them.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents into the piggy bank also.
Ramos Method
Wahiawa Kajukenbo

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2004, 11:20:46 AM »
OH HELL NO!  My female Students get no special treatment when they train, why would they get special treatment for discipline.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 03:08:01 PM »
Everyone has good points.  I like what Sifu Sin Bin said about being treated the same no matter what.  Male/femal, ethnic background, religious beliefs, etc. it shouldn't matter.  Disrespect is disrespect.  

The BB should be disciplined for his/her actions.  Loss in rank or whatever the instructor so chooses (suspend from training).  I think as the visiting instructor, I may not let this individual enter my dojo.  He/she would not warrant and invite to attend my school.  SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE TO PUT THIS PERSON IN HIS/HER PLACE.  If he/she shows disrespect like that, I wouldn't want to expose my students to this.

Being a BB is an honor, not a right.  I think the person needs to learn more about humility and respect in order to deserve the rank.

These are just my thoughts.  I don't mean to disrespect anyone of rank, I just don't like to see this sort of thing go on. >:(

I grew up learning respect to my elders, senior members, etc.   If I didn't, I would get smacked upside the head.  Same with my coaches in sports: I may not have cared for them, but I bit my tongue and did as I was told out of RESPECT... I think the same can be said for the dojo.  I may question, but I keep it to myself or discuss on the side; not publically.  I think that is the way it should be done, not openly.

Sorry to go off on this.

Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang