Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Re:Women Professors

Author Topic: Re:Women Professors  (Read 5578 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« on: January 19, 2004, 12:13:57 AM »
Doe's anyone know what rank Malia Bernal is now?  I think she's still under GM Sotelo.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 01:25:11 AM »
In 1997 she was Promoted in Vallejo at the B.B.S. seminar to 8th degree, If she has been promoted since then I don't know.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 01:52:04 PM »
The wife of Grandmaster Sixto Ramos. Her name is Ruth. She is a Profressor, 8th degree. She also may have been the first woman black belt in Kajukenbo, receiving her belt from Sid Asuncion in the 60s. See Sixto Ramos' bio on the Cafe.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2004, 06:37:44 PM »
Are Malia Bernal and Malia Ribiero the same person? ???
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 01:42:32 AM »
Hard to say, with divorce rates as high as they are. But if it is the same person who was married to Dacascos,as Bernal was, then you have a match. 8)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:43:17 AM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2004, 01:52:21 AM »
Sigung Bishop:

The only female black belt I see under GM Sotelo on the 2003 family tree is Sharon Sotelo. I don't see a Malia Bernal.

The only time I see Malia is under GM Dacascos but the last names don't match. ::)

hmm....guess we'll have to wait maybe GM Dacascos, GM Sotelo or Sigung Joe might stop by and enlighten us all.

Soifua,

p.s. Thanks Sifu SB I appreciate your post too. ;D
« Last Edit: January 20, 2004, 01:53:35 AM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2004, 08:33:54 AM »
On the tree "Malia" Bernal or Dacascos is under Prof. Al as he was her first teacher, and the one who promoted her to black.  
If the name under Prof. Al is "Ribiero" then it's the same person.

GM Ted, we need your help here ???
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline cirillo

• Moderators
  • Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2004, 09:34:59 AM »
Malia Bernal was married to GM Dacascos.  She was one of his early black belts.  She, as far as I know, was never under GM Sotelo, but Ted can sure clear that up if I am wrong.  Malia is currently living and teaching martial arts in San Jose, California.  From what I hear she is one of the toughest instructors out there.  Her workouts are supposed to be enough to wear anyone out, no matter their conditioning. 8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Grand Master Ted Sotelo

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2004, 07:05:13 PM »
Sihing Cirillo-

Hello, remember I was a Guest at your first black belt testing in Oakland?

Just to clarify on the topic of Malia, here is my account. When GM Al was out studing forms, I took over teaching classes and Pat Reagan was assisting me at the San Leandro dojo. We had a satilite school (under GM Al) in Concord that was taught by Bill Owens (who was just starting out). Bill and his brothers would come and train at the main dojo on tues. and thurs. After the satilite school closed bill brought Malia (who comuted from Walnut Crk.) and a few other students to the San Leandro school.

I was over ruled and ended up teaching the womans' classes, under protest.

She is going to KILL me for this, but, her real name is Mary Lou Ribiero, which she changed in "69", to Malia. Her maiden name was Bernal.

Skipping through the timeline and giving you a brief history. In the summer of "69" Malia and GM Al moved to Denver.

IN "72 or 73" they stopped by to visit me on thier way to China with someothers.

"74" She came over to see me as requested per GM Al, to see if she was qualified to be promoted to black belt. I agreed that she was, she visited her family and returned to Denver.

In the late "70's" They moved to Germany.

In "83" she moved back to the U.S. and later looked me up and asked me to show her some techniques. (she became a steamfitter's apperantence)

"88" She wanted to start self defence arobics in L.A. before "Tae Bo". Then she moved to the Bahamas.

"94" I saw her in the Bay Area and took her to go see Sijo, and invited her to go to the last IKA tournament GM Rick Kingi hosted.

"97" in Vallejo, she did a documentary of the 50th anniversary of Kajukenbo, at which time she was promoted to 7th degree by Sijo and Myself. I gave her, her experession "Xaun Dai"

"98" She was a bail bonds person in San Jose.

"2000" She worked at the YWCA teaching arobics.

And as of 2001 she has resided in Walnut Crk., Cal. and we remain very close friends.

Thank you,
                    GM Ted Sotelo

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 01:14:53 AM »
Talofa GM Sotelo ;D

Excellent post. We rarely get to hear of the great women in our art however thanks to you that changed today.  ;D

I appreciate you taking the time to share some history with us.

Please feel free to share with us anytime.

See you soon. ;D

Soifua,

« Last Edit: January 21, 2004, 01:15:34 AM by Kajushodan »
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 06:45:31 AM »
As reported by Prof. Ruth
-----------------------------------------

Aloha.....I am Professor Ruth "Luka" Prince-Ramos and I received my Black Belt 2nd Degree with my Instructor's Papers fromj GrandMaster Sid Asuncion in 1973.  I was already training for 11 years and was a top competitor in Kumite and was ranked one of the top fighters in the state.  Hope this helps.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Karazenpo

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 09:05:36 PM »
In New England we have: Grandmaster Donna Lynn Vinbury, 9th dan and Soke-dai to Gm. S. George Pesare's Kaito Gakko (Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu Kenpo), Gm. Delores Bastone also a 9th dan and Professor Linda Herzog,  an 8th dan also at the Kaito Gakko.  Professor Paula Pucino, 8th dan, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu, Professor Doreen Cogliandro, 9th dan, Ed Parker's American Kenpo and Grandmaster Janice Cunningham, 9th dan of Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu and Grandmaster Georganne Verigan, 10th dan of Pai Lum Kajukenpo who was the Soke-dai to Gm. Bill Gregory. In Witchita, Kansas, Professor Shea Carpenter, 8th dan, Karazenpo Go Shinjutsu, Kansas Karate Institute of Gm. Roger Carpenter.  I'm sorry if I left anyone out but I just took this from the top of my head.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 09:52:40 PM by Professor Joe Shuras »