Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Women and Grappling

Author Topic: Women and Grappling  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
Women and Grappling
« on: August 29, 2003, 08:51:58 PM »
Was just reading some interesting discussion under the Martial Arts heading "Handling a Grappler".

Do you think that women need to have a greater understanding of the grappling arts, from a self defense stand point, than men do?  Is it more relevant due to the manner in which most women are assaulted?
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Spaniard

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • mormon.org
Re:Women and Grappling
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2003, 12:45:10 AM »
"Do you think that women need to have a greater understanding of the grappling arts, from a self defense stand point, than men do?
Is it more relevant due to the manner in which most women are assaulted?"

My 2 bits are, like anything in the Martial Arts, it is up to the individual how they want to specialize or what one wants to practice the most, but grappling range is very relevant to how women are assaulted.  

Male assailants feel that they can overwhelm the woman with sheer strength from being close and with fear through the invasion of personal space.  I think that the male assailant expects no fight at close range.  That's why it is vital for women practicing self- defense to be comfortable fighting at grappling range because that nullifies the assailant's main weapons.

Most assailant's just aren't expecting that fight and it will surprise him, giving the woman a chance to turn the tables.

I don't think a woman has to be an expert, just feeling like she has options, will give her the upper hand.
Erik P., 2nd degree Black Belt Kajukenbo under Sifu Jim Fassler Chrisitan Kajukenbo Ministry, White Belt American Kenpo, 1st Black Belt Tae Kwon Do OhDoKan
"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend to the death your right to say it."- Voltaire

TODD

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2003, 01:42:50 PM »
I don't think it matters.  Kajukenbo is at close range.  It depends on the individual and what
their interests are.  As far as I know Kajukenbo has the self-defense aspect of martial arts
covered.  Theirs always room to broaden ones horizons, but which way to go is a personal choice.
If anything stress the grab arts more and create scenarios.  In other words, cater the training
towards what you feel the women in class want and/or need.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2003, 12:49:45 AM »
I remember reading an article once that discussed women and their attackers.  One thing that was noted and highly regarded was looking for your chance to get free.  So, I think that women need to have an understanding of grappling and groundwork, but they do not need to over-emphasize this aspect.  I think that basic knowledge practiced over and over again will be key to escape/survival.  "KISS" theory.  I know that others will not agree, but basics seen to work the best.  

Kajukenbo has lots of close attacks.  Women should begin to feel more comfortable being at close range as their training progresses.  The more that you work on something the better you will feel.  Every situation is different.  Prepare for the unexpected and react, don't think.  Just a few of my thoughts.

Aloha,
brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline ANEMAUL

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • TRAIN HARD... BE HUMBLE.. FIGHT DIRTY..GMBM
    • DRAGONS DEN
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2003, 01:43:04 AM »
Understand this from the beginning "ALL WOMEN ARE DANGEROUS"!!!
That having been noted...Grappling should be taught and practiced frequently to give angles and leverage to those students that have not yet discovered the true animal viciousness of an angered she cat..
Grappling is not necessarily the advantage of the stronger but instead favors those whom have practiced situational reactions with speed and application!!
Grapplng won't replace punching or kicking but how much foundation does one acheive while rolling on the ground???
Grappling is as necessary a truth in combat as is the application of mace or pepperspray(ends a fight REAL quick).
Also a good female grappler can keep an average man so busy trying not to get hurt that he will be to preoccupied to cause damage in return!!!
Open your eyes folks!! Seeing is knowledge and knowledge is your true weapon!!
And I SEE females that have hurt brothers and I KNOW they are a Weapon(any body care to grapple with Esther from Sifu Bono's school??She frightens me!!)
JOSEPH BAUTISTA KSDI #318    *KNF* HAAK-LUNG * EKA *BBS *NEW BREED FIGHTING ARTS *DRAGONS DEN*

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2003, 03:50:22 PM »
hmm...grappling? ::)

I don't grapple but if you like it and it works for you than continue it.

Groundwork - yes I agree. Break em' up bust em' up.  ;D

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2003, 04:21:56 PM »
Groundwork is great.  Bust em up and get away.  I also see groundwork as a great way to see where our strengths and weaknesses lie.  I know when I go to judo and am with the men, I have to work really, really hard.  It's great because I'm learning how to escape and counter my attacker.  You never know when these little tricks will come in handy.  I enjoy all aspects of the training.  I encorporate the best of everything which fits my body type, my strengths and my weaknesses.  So, I say use what works for you.  Remember beat em up and bust em up is the best way for a women to survive any situation if possible.  Use your own tricks with which you feel comfortable.

Brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Karazenpo

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2003, 11:48:37 AM »
Grappling is a must no matter what the gender. At Grandmaster Pesare's Kaito Gakko men and women are treated the same so women must fight men in all aspects of the art and I follow that tradition to the letter. ;)

Offline Eugene Sedeno

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
  • Teacher
    • Sedeno's School of Self-Defence
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 09:32:39 PM »
Aloha to all,

I see some very interesting comments across the board on this subject.  Personally I think it's a good thing for all to work on the ground.  You never know when you might get blind sided and find your fight starting from the ground.  If so you don't want to feel uncomfortable starting your counter attack from there.

One of my students and I both have female students who know the value of working on the ground.  Even Sijo agrees that younger students should learn a little "rough and tumble" ground work prior to Kajukenbo.

We have one young lady, 15, who has wrestled for a couple of years now and is feared by all the male competitors in her weight class.  She has only loss one match in all that time.

The bottom line is that any advantage you can give yourself in preparation for potencial attacks is not a waste of time.  It can even be fun.
GM Eugene Sedeno
9th DBB
Perpetual Student

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 11:22:44 PM »
Grappling is great for women, but you have to treat them as equals on the ground and give them a basic understanding of this is business. Practice with a guy on the ground is an uncomfortable situation for a woman. But to advise to the woman out there who are unsure about ground work  (Ha) you are always in control. Lure them in, make them feel confident then, brake his arm.

Try it.

have anice day
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2004, 10:26:23 PM »
I think is it also uncomfortable for the guys as well when faced with doing ground with with a women.  I'm not sure how to get everyone over it except to just keep at it.  
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com