Author Topic: KAJUKENBO The Instructors Manual  (Read 980 times)

Offline mlwhittle

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
KAJUKENBO The Instructors Manual
« on: October 14, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
Aloha,
KAJUKENBO, The Instructors Manual, by Michael L. Whittle will be available this weekend on Amazon! First edition available in hard cover and soft cover.

This is a reference book depicting Kajukenbo self-defense techniques and sets.

There are (240) 8.5" x 11" pages and more than 3000 gray scale photographs.

Books are available at www.Amazon.com

Contact info; whittlekajukenbo@gmail.com

The Instructors Manual includes the following:

Kajukenbo Kenpo Karate precepts and principles, Hawaiian martial arts timeline, 1950?s and 1960?s Kajukenbo black belts, 2016 list of 8th and 9th degree black belts, belt requirements  through 3rd degree black belt, belt rank descriptions and titles, class formalities, stretching, strengthening and breathing exercises, stance, stepping, punch, strike, block, kick, joint-lock, choke and break fall techniques and drills, punch counters, tricks, grab arts, alphabets, club defenses, knife defenses, two-man defenses, kick defenses, throw combinations, roll and punch defenses, ground techniques, Palama sets,  examples of one and two-man forms.

I would like to thank Eric Burch, Patrick Folker, Darrell Kaiser, Tim Higdon and Nathan Kaiser
for assisting with the demonstrations and photography depicted in this book. We shot all of the photographs at our school in Spokane, WA.

Buy the book!

Michael

Offline kajuthumper

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • I'm a llama!
Re: KAJUKENBO The Instructors Manual
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
Nice sir
If I may ask what is your lineage?
Woody
Woody J Sims
SIMS KSDI
Vallejo Ca

Online Bautista's

• teaching since 1967
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Blood is true measure of lineage, not senior rank
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:09:42 AM »
He is of the Tony Lasit line and associated with KSDS, I know him well and can stand by his rank......
 Emil Bautista
Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt

Offline Sleddog

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
    • GAMMA
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:20 PM »
He is also ranked under Don Nahoolewa line and is active in Hawaiian Lua as well.
Philip Gelinas
Training MA (since 1967)
Kajukenbo, Emperado & Chuan Fa Methods, (Since 1971)
KSDI, BOA
Pekiti Tirsia Kali (Under GT Gaje since 1981)
Jun Fan Gung Fu, Kali & Maphilindo Silat (Under Sifu Dan Inosanto Since 1990)
BJJ (Since 1998)

Offline sifutimg

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Iron sharpens iron-so another man sharpens another
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:35 PM »
Yes GM Mike is good people and an awesome practitioner and consider him a good friend.  He has taught at several (and is again this year) of the Northwest Kajukenbo Gatherings and up in Federal Way Washington at some of Professor Davies events.  GM Mike is in the Who's who section with a great write up of his lineage.

Cheers!
Professor Tim Gagnier
Student of Great Grandmaster Charles Gaylord & Grandmaster Sid Lopez
Chief Instructor Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Student Forever
Yamhill, Oregon

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
Definitely a great instructor, but even more, he is a very humble and awesome person.  I consider him a friend.  As Prof. Tim said, he has taught here in OR multiple times (and will be in a couple of weeks also) and at the Federal Way seminar in WA.  He hosted me in his home for a Lua/Kajukenbo seminar a few years back also.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Online Bautista's

• teaching since 1967
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Blood is true measure of lineage, not senior rank
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 04:10:39 AM »
He is also featured in the "who's who" page in this forum!!!!!!
Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2016, 08:43:27 PM »
Yes, GM Whittle and his students are good people. Looking forward to the book arriving.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Torakan

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »
We are predominately Reyes Method Kajukenbo thru GM Don Nahoolewa.
Darrell Kaiser
US Army Retired
Black Belt student under Grand Master Michael Whittle

Offline kajuthumper

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2016, 10:12:46 AM »
Ok sounds good looking forward to getting and reading this. Thank you in advance
Woody
Woody J Sims
SIMS KSDI
Vallejo Ca

Offline mlwhittle

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
This is literally the first page of the book!

ALOHA
?Aloha? a Hawaiian word expressing love. ?Aloha? is used as a greeting and as a goodbye. ?Aloha? is the spirit of Hawaii. Kajukenbo is Hawaiian in origin. Hawaiian aloha is integral to Kajukenbo.

The Japanese word ?waza? is commonly translated as ?tricks or techniques?. This is a book of techniques, patterns and sets that are the syllabus for Kajukenbo Kenpo Karate taught by Michael Whittle.

All names and descriptions of techniques, patterns and sets depicted in this book will be in English.

Michael Whittles first generation Kajukenbo lineages are Anthony Lasit and Aleju Reyes. Second generation lineages are James Johnson, Daniel Baker and Donald K. Nahoolewa. Kajukenbo mentors include Richard Peralta, Joseph Davis, Alan Abad and Emil Bautista. First generation Dan Zan Ryu Lineage is Sig Kufferath. Second generation lineage is Joseph Holck. Third generation lineage is Kirk Jaeger. First generation lineage in Kaihewalu Lua is Kolomona Kaihewalu.

There are four Kajukenbo systems approved by Adriano Emperado; ?Original Method Kenpo Karate?, ?Chuan Fa Gung Fu?, ?Won Hop Kuen Do? and ?Tum Pai?. The techniques and sets in this book are based on  ?Original Method Kenpo Karate? Kajukenbo.

There are no martial art related titles included with names of individuals in this book. A list of the current professors and grand masters is included.

The timeline is included to help the reader follow events and people that had significant roles in the development of Kajukenbo. This is not a complete timeline. The timeline includes only the names of men and women who received their first degree black belt in the 1950?s or the 1960?s. Please contact me regarding people or events that should be added to future printings of this book.

This is not intended to be a history book. John Bishop has done an excellent job of documenting the history of Kajukenbo, its founders and senior instructors in his books, articles, interviews and Kajukenbo Cafe.

Please contact Phillip Gelinas for a current Kajukenbo Family Tree of all Kajukenbo black belts registered with KSDI. You can contact him via www.kajukenbocafe.com

This is a reference book for instructors. If you think you can learn Kajukenbo from this book you are mistaken. You need an instructor.

Eric Burch, Patrick Folker, Darrell Kaiser, Nathan Kaiser and Tim Higdon assisted with demonstrations and photography the techniques. Eric Burch, Patrick Folker and Darrell Kaiser assisted with editing.

The information included in this book is from my personal experience studying and teaching Kajukenbo. 

I am responsible for any errors or omissions and will gratefully accept corrections or additions.

Michael L. Whittle

Offline GMDavis

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
  Michael sent me a copy of his book to review: there is a lot of different material, as Michael trained with different Instructors and Arts. {KAJUKENBO-DAN ZAN RYU-HAWAIIAN LUA]
  A lot of time and effort was used to review all the different resources. there are reviews of Arts that influenced KAJUKENBO, also old History and Philosophy, many techniques and forms..
  The Book is very well written; [some of the photographs could be better].
  I would recommend  the Book for your Library.
  Michael said that I would NIT-PICK it, so I am still reviewing the book, as I need to talk to him about some of the Dates..
                                       SGM JOE   
Grand Master Joseph F. Davis
Aleju Reyes 3rd Black Belt - 1966