Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
How Close to another Kajukenbo school is too Close to open yours?

Author Topic: How Close to another Kajukenbo school is too Close to open yours?  (Read 4315 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
How Close to another Kajukenbo school is too Close to open yours?
« on: September 08, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »
Please vote in the poll, and feel free to comment if you want.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
Re: How Close to another Kajukenbo school is too Close to open yours?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:10 PM »
I said 2 miles, but the exact distance is arbitrary.  There are many reasons we choose the precise location.  If it is close than like 5 miles, then I think it is very important that the 2 schools find a way to work together.  Competition is healthy and necessary.  To give prospective students only one possible choice can lead to lack of quality of the school - however - being closer than like 2 miles and not working together shows disrespect for the existing school and intentional competition.

I do also think that there is some variation to do with Branch/Method or general teaching methods.  If there is a tournament focused school in your area and you open a purely street focused school, is this really competition???  I don't know the answers but those are my thoughts.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Dave Jones

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Fio Para Bellator: Be the Prepared Warrior
    • CQB KAJUKENBO CLUB
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 07:03:12 AM »
In the Islands, I see ABC Stores everywhere.
I seem to recall 2 in the same block.

I've heard of a Starbucks across the street from ... another Starbucks.

This sort of practice {"competition"?} appears to be the norm nowadays.

If I was the original instructor, I would walk in and ..talk to.. the upstart.
I have no doubt that my instructor would have done more than talk to me, if I was so inconsiderate.

But...
I had a friend who teaches a "hybrid" kung-fu style open a school about 3 blocks from mine.
If course I teach for free and his school is a very dissimilar style so it was not really "competition" but I saw his students (distinctive shirts) and asked why their new school was so close.  They must have said something to him.
The next thing I know, the instructor called me to apologize.
He explained that was just the space that was available in his price range.
He thought I was angry and I suspect he was afraid I was going to go in and challenge him.
Competing with me or my school never crossed his mind.  The move was not an intentional slight and there was no real harm done.
When someone went to him wanting to learn self defense, he sent them to me.
When someone came to me wanting "classical" training, I steered them to him.
Skip ahead about 2 years, his school was gone, while I'm still in the same location many years since.

I'm not going to vote because there are too many variables.

Remember that in some Kajukenbo schools and "hearts", Ohana is just a word.
I'd estimate that for every 2 Kajukenbo people I've heard say it, maybe 1 actually practices it...

Is this really about disrespect or about who is making money?  It it about growing the Style or about growing a school?
I personally hear people say all the time that something taught for free is somehow less valuable than something that is paid for.
That being said, this individual is getting grief for taking the "bread and butter" from the old instructor.  Sounds like a double-standard or something.
You can't have it both ways, team.   No offense meant GM Harper, just an observation sir.
I'm not defending him: I think it was inconsiderate and he should man-up and talk to his old instructor before making such a move instead of hiding behind the old one.
But let's try to keep the playing field even.

Maybe we might need to bring back the "Dojo Wars" for stuff like this.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 07:31:24 AM by Dave Jones »
Dave Jones, CQB Kajukenbo Club - Fenton, MO
The Founders > Sid Asuncion > Alan Carter > Mike Griffin
Proud Life Member of the Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana
http://www.cqbkajukenbo.com/

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 02:06:09 PM »
This survey is simply to gather a general idea of what is acceptable,
It?s not about Ruben personally.
There?s history and bad blood between these two men, I left that factor out so as not to start a pissing contest.
Sigung Dusty Rhodes has been teaching in New Rochelle since 1993.
This situation is for us to deal with, not the caf?.
The question to the caf? on the survey is to try and get an idea of what others think is acceptable, and not to solve my problems.
Sigung Dusty and I are big boys.
and you give more credit than I do on the Ohana thing, my opinion is maybe 1 out of 10 mean it.
Greg Harper
senior instructor, Gumataotao Kajukenbo
Head instructor, Kajupit MMA
Sijo Emperado's personal body guard

Offline Dave Jones

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Fio Para Bellator: Be the Prepared Warrior
    • CQB KAJUKENBO CLUB
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:43:09 PM »
Fair enough sir.
Dave Jones, CQB Kajukenbo Club - Fenton, MO
The Founders > Sid Asuncion > Alan Carter > Mike Griffin
Proud Life Member of the Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana
http://www.cqbkajukenbo.com/

Offline ClaudioMTL

• White Belt
  • Green Belt
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2014, 07:46:51 PM »
I believe two schools in the same area is fine as long as they collaborate with one another. For instance, if students are signed up at one club then perhaps they can train at the other school for free on set days of the week. In my case, i train bjj out of two schools in the Montreal area that have this agreement. It is a win win for everyone because students get to train with different experience levels on days where maybe that particular art is not offered at their school. Also it gives exposure to both martial arts establishments. With that said, i am not a business owner but if an instructor is legitimate then i believe they should have the right to open where ever they please.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 07:48:48 PM by ClaudioMTL »
Claudio DL, Montreal,Canada
Kajukenbo, Emperado & Chuan Fa Methods
K.S.D.I - Canada
Under GM Philip Gelinas
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Blue Belt/ Judo -Brazialian Top Team Canada

Offline Sleddog

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
    • GAMMA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2014, 02:11:52 PM »
Like a lot of things, this is very individual in nature. This case is not only a matter of schools opening in close proximity to each other but the added thorn of a previous student-teacher relationship that did not end amicably.

ClaudioMTL (my Kaju student) is right. We have an arrangement with another school that is under the same BJJ teacher. I can assure those reading that if it was the same circumstance as the one alluded to at the beginning of this thread they would not be training here.....ever.
Philip Gelinas
Training MA (since 1967)
Kajukenbo, Emperado & Chuan Fa Methods, (Since 1971)
KSDI, BOA
Pekiti Tirsia Kali (Under GT Gaje since 1981)
Jun Fan Gung Fu, Kali & Maphilindo Silat (Under Sifu Dan Inosanto Since 1990)
BJJ (Since 1998)