Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sparring help

Author Topic: Sparring help  (Read 3126 times)

Offline Rockinsoul14595

• White Belt
Sparring help
« on: January 18, 2013, 11:39:06 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a Greenbelt under Sigung Junker and I feel as if my sparring is lacking in a lot of areas. I feel as if my reaction times are where they should be. I have what I like to call a dummy response, where you get hit and don't get phased by it or are slow to react to it. Is there anyway I can fix that?  My Sifu is doing an awesome job in helping me overcome my lacking areas but is there anything I can do on my own to make my sparring better? I'm talking about general sparring not point sparring.

Brian
Brian Fuger
Green Belt
Teacher: Sigung Trent Junker

Offline Rockinsoul14595

• White Belt
Re: Sparring help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:46 PM »
Correction: I meant to type "aren't where they should be" just a quick clarification.

Brian
Brian Fuger
Green Belt

Offline Rev. Brian Henderson

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Leeward Kenpo Karate-KAJUKENBO sine 1987
    • TheGatherings
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 12:01:45 AM »
Escrima training is excellent for the development of speed and accuracy, tactics and response.  I started training in it 26 years ago and it changed my martial arts forever.
Rev. (Prof.) Brian T. Henderson (KSDI# 641)
Leeward Kenpo Karate Assoc.
Trinity Christian Martial Arts Ministry
7210 Lisbon St., San Diego, CA 92114
(619) 977-1613

sgns1173

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:22:36 AM »
Hey everyone,

I'm a Greenbelt under Sigung Junker and I feel as if my sparring is lacking in a lot of areas. I feel as if my reaction times are where they should be. I have what I like to call a dummy response, where you get hit and don't get phased by it or are slow to react to it. Is there anyway I can fix that?  My Sifu is doing an awesome job in helping me overcome my lacking areas but is there anything I can do on my own to make my sparring better? I'm talking about general sparring not point sparring.

Brian

Aloha Brain,

Have your teacher call me so we can analyze your problem and come with some training drills that may help you.

Mahalo,

Gerry Scott

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 10:32:05 AM »
One drill that helps to develope reflexes:

You (Brian) sit on folding chair (or any other seat)
Two partners stand in front of you at angles--one at 10 o'clock, the other at 2 o'clock.
Your partners throw tennis balls at you. Not fast or hard, but slowly at first.  Then faster and a little harder.
You face straight ahead with your arms straight up, bent at the elbows, palms out.
You try to grab or block balls in the air.

When you get used to the tennis balls, then change to ping pong balls, then golf balls. 

Good luck.  Enjoy.

Ron
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:36:56 AM by Ron Baker »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Rockinsoul14595

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:52:52 PM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I've heard of the golf ball drill once before but I'll have to give it a try. There aren't many people close in Vancouver who are willing to spar so I'm going to ask around see what I come up with. I've been slowly practicing Eskrima but it still feels awkward to me with the sticks but I'll keep swinging away.  8)

Brian
Brian Fuger
Green Belt