Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Grappling Questions

Author Topic: Grappling Questions  (Read 4940 times)

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Grappling Questions
« on: September 26, 2012, 07:32:49 AM »
I'm always interested in what other Kaju folks are doing in their training; not nosy, just interested (in a good way).  All Kaju schools and clubs have a fundamental basis to draw from (the Palama's, Punch Arts, Grab Arts from Sijo, Uncle Frank, etc.). 

Does your Kaju training include grappling?  What kind (BJJ/GJJ/JJJ/DZR)?  How long has it been part of your training?  Is it a requirement or an an added "bonus" to your training?  What do you like most about it?  How do you incorporate it into your training? 

I know there's lots of guys who are passionate about grappling, so feel free to share as much as you want!

Mahalo for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Ron

Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Re: Grappling Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 08:39:18 AM »
Aloha,
We love to roll.  We offer Submission Grappling Classes seperately (Gi and no Gi), or as an added class after Kajukenbo. 
As much as we love to roll, we recognize the limitations Grappling has in Street Survival.  As part of Kajukenbo we require our students to know how to fall safely, how to defend on the ground, striking offense techniques, and the importance of regaining the stand-up as soon as possible.  We don't require our Kajukenbo Students to know how to arm bar or choke someone.  No submissions are required for testing. 
Having said that, Submission Grappling teaches us many skill sets that inhances our Ground Fighting Curriculum.  Space and Base.  Weight distribution.  Leverage.  Balance and Positioning.  Shrimping and Bridging. 
I also love to roll because of the exercise.  I'm older, and rolling is a slightly kinder form of sparring than that of my youth. 
Then there is the comradarie that always comes with hard training.  Grappling is an excellent way to form and unite the Ohana.  But so is Kickboxing, Combat Judo, Bullring, and the other contact drills we use. 
Submission Grappling is an important part of our Kajukenbo Training, but only a part.  It just happens to be my favorite part.   ;)
Sifu Greg
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:50:02 PM »
We are big on the JU of KAJUKENBO. In the form of DZR Jujitsu, shoot-fighting, catch-wrestling, combat sambo, etc.... everything geared towards reality-based scenarios, although we also cover sport aspects of grappling and submission fighting (small part of our training effort).

In today's world it doesn't make alot of sense not to cover the ground contingency given the number of MMA fighters and wanna be MMA fighters that are out there and who may be a threat in a given situation.

Rolling around is for fun but it also conditions us physically and mentally and helps to work for dominant positions and submissions against a resisting opponent. We mainly drill for combat-scenarios that don't include sports-related responses. This is our focus at the end of the day. Self-defense and combatives. We are a reality-based fighting school - it is at the core of all we do. If training or techniques don't serve this end we generally don't train them. Some exceptions  are when training with kids and if we are preparing for a grappling tournament that has rules.

Interrestingly enough, there are 30 something actions that are prohibited in MMA Sport fighting (things the fighters can't do) - these prohibitions are really our GO TO LIST of things TO DO. Great question.

Have a great day!

Patrick
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Sigung Jeff Macalolooy

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Family First.
    • Dragons Den MMA
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
I love "grappling" and am a wrestler at heart.  I started wrestling in 1986 and competed for 7 years.  I've been coaching wrestling since 1995.  Wrestlers have proved to be among the most successful athletes to cross over into MMA.  Their work ethic is 2nd to none!  I definitely think its a great base.  Wrestlers get to choose where the fight goes.  They can stuff the takedowns to keep the fight standing and away from the better submission (BJJ) fighters or use their takedowns to keep the fight away from the more effective strikers.

In 1992, I started Judo while in college.  Eventually, with the explosion of the UFC on the scene in 1993, I started doing submission grappling and BJJ.

Currently at my club we offer wrestling 5x/week and no-gi Jiu-Jitsu (Baret Submissions) 5x/week, both for youth and adults. 
See the green classes:
http://www.dragonsdenmma.com/CLASSES.html

We also incorporate it into our Kajukenbo self-defense techniques and live sparring. 

I have 3 other wrestling coaches that help me out and my brother, Sifu Jonathan heads our no-gi Jiu-Jitsu program.  Jonathan started BJJ in 2006 and is currently under Master Baret Yoshida.
http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/baret-yoshida
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWIjVaXyu54

Master Baret is actually coming up from San Diego on October 27 to teach a seminar at our club.  It is open to all.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151079493321973&set=o.153338078027239&type=1&theater

But I don't believe that grappling is the best for the street.  All grappling styles take place on a mat.  The street isn't so soft and I always teach my students to keep it standing in a street fight.  This way you can deal with multiple attackers.  You can fight multiple people standing, but its a losing battle if you are on the ground with more than one attacker.

I am a strong believer in teaching grappling for self-defense though.  Mainstream America is way more educated in fighting now and if you don't know how to grapple you can't defend against it.

Anyways, that's my opinion.  Now I'm off to lunch, then up to my son's high school where I am a volunteer assistant varsity wrestling coach every Wednesday.

Aloha all.

Jeff Macalolooy
Focus on the future.
www.DragonsDenMMA.com
ucjmac@yahoo.com

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:39:19 PM »
We do a lot of grappling along with the rest of the traditional curriculum. Professor Bishop's father was a judo instructor, I took BJJ, and we to MMA sparring along with pure grappling and regluar stand up sparring. I also picked up a lot of "dirty" grappling submissions and escapes from catch wrestling and teach those too.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline Claudio

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Empty your mind
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:29 PM »
The base of my kaju starts with American boxing, I've been doing BJJ since 1994. Trained at Cesar Gracies school for 2 years, then David Terrells MMA  academy in Santa Rosa for 2 years.  Incoporated some Sambo and shootwrestling into what I teach also.  Realistic training/scenarios is the key.  I love jiujitsu, received my purplebelt  a year ago from Prof Courtney Westley (Anathema BJJ/MMA)  Equipa Vilhena.

Nowadays, not training in some form of grappling puts you at a serious disadvantage.  A combination of skills is  definitely needed. 

Classes follow this type of rotation:

30 min kettlebell/crossfit type workout specifically designed fighting ,building functional muscle

30 - 40 min on Boxing ie drills, focus mitts, weaving etc...

50 - 60 min - remainder of class is rotated/focused on either Kaju selfdefense, knife/gun defense, sparring or Jiujitsu

3 days a weeks with the second day specifically focused on conditioning and Jiujitsu(gi less)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 06:38:51 PM by claudio »
Prof. Claude "Claudio" Lawson III
Ronin Kombat Systems / American Kajukembo Assoc

Kajukembo/Kajukenbo(GM Davis)/ Brazilian Jiujitsu/Kick Boxing/ Practical Weapons/ JKD

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 06:53:57 PM »
We grapple every day of class at my school, I had a back ground in wrestling/judo/jujitsu when I started Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do grappling, which incorporates BBJ, shoot, Catch, Sambo, Greco, etc etc...I'm a full Instructor and love the ground game..(though I did train GJJ throughout the '90's separately )..my martial arts training was primarily in standup, boxing since 7...but it hard to get around how fun grappling is....fun to do, fun to learn, harder to get hurt.

In the street it's a handy trick to know keeps you from being taken down and allows you to get up.  Easier to hold someone with a time hold for instance depending on the circumstance.  Also if your skill set is right you can fight multiple fighter and be successful on the ground...

the ground is just another tool on the belt...and it's multipurpose...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:25 AM »
Like a lot of Kaju people over the age of 45, I didn't have much of a grappling background.  It just wasn't available to us back in the day (and we were convinced that our self-defense was enough anyway).  But the reality is that some kind of ground/grappling is a must-have for our Kaju to be effective. 

We train in Gracie JJ from a self-defense perspective and we also train BJJ (mahalo to Master Edson Diniz in Brazil as well as Sensei Norman Bignall in GA). 

I'm excited for the current generation of Kaju practitioners and teachers who have a grappling/jits background.  But it's never too late for us "old dogs" to learn new tricks.   ;)

Edit:  Last night, just for grins, we took the old Grab Art 6 (it might vary depending on your Method) and worked it from the ground.  From a closed guard position, you can slightly modify it for finishing with a nice little "telephone" arm lock.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:41:51 AM by Ron Baker »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana