Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo Fist

Author Topic: Kajukenbo Fist  (Read 6071 times)

Offline Andre B

• White Belt
Kajukenbo Fist
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:04:05 AM »
I was wondering about the Kajukenbo fist and whether the index finger would be more likely to get injured as opposed to using the standard fist.  Has anyone injured their finger when not curling it up along with the other fingers?  Do you find it more effective than the standard fist?
Hawaiian Kenpo (Ryusaki lineage)

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
Re: Kajukenbo Fist
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:15:45 AM »
In Kajukenbo Tum Pai we are taught to punch with the knuckles of the index and middle fingers. It has to do with tendon alignment. Pretty sure it is a common practice throughout Kaju. I have seen pictures of Sijo's hand and his index and middle knuckles were heavily callused from working them. I was never shown a technique for punching with the index finger not rolled into a tight fist for punching.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline punisher73

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »
The method of having the index finger straight allows the thumb something more to brace against to tighten the fist.  This was an old okinawan method that was used and featured even in one of Funakoshi's first books.  I believe that Mr. Bishop also has a picture and explanation of this fist configuration in his first book on Kajukenbo.

I'm sure that he or others could give more explanation about it and it's use.
Kevin A. Hirakis
SW Michigan

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »
After 4 decades of boxing my hand won't even think about a fist with a straight finger....trying it makes my fist uneven...I really never knew a fighter that used that fist did anyone here see someone who was a fighter use that fist...not just in training....?
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gabriel

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »
Here's a link to Prof. Bishop's comments regarding the Kajukenbo Fist, there was a picture linked of Joe Emperado that sadly is not available there anymore but you can at least read his comments on it.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-35312.html

Sifu Gabriel Rodriguez
Black Dragons Kajukenbo
Student of the late GM Kalaii Kano Griffin,
Currently under the guidance of GM Rick Kingi

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
Here is a thread from about 8 years ago here.

http://www.kajukenbo.com/cafe/index.php?topic=855.0
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Andre B

• White Belt
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:24:25 AM »
Thanks for the links.  Definitely a fist that would take some getting used to.

Hawaiian Kenpo (Ryusaki lineage)

Offline D. Tiriaq Taylor

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
Practicing push-ups on this type of fist along with heavy bag work is a good way to get used to it.
Sigung D. Tiriaq Taylor 7th degree
Professor Alex Elias
GM Gerry Scott

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 05:50:53 AM »
Hi
Happy New Year,
In Emperado's Kajukenbo,,,,the "Kajukenbo Fist" was considered Protocol knowledge, as was the "Kajukenbo Squatting Position" and "Number 11 Pinan (Dance of Death)",,,and "Ground and Pound (Ground Attack,Ground Work)",,,,Sijo believed that these things set Kajukenbo apart from the different Arts of the day,,,,,I have a statue of DARUMA, in a defensive posture,His hands are clenched in the "Kajukenbo Fist" that was purchased in the Mid 50's by GGM Aleju Reyes and Sijo in Hawaii.
During my training, I was taught that DARUMA history was followed by Mitose, and the "Fist" teaching was then taught by Mitose,,,which Emperado took as his own as a representation of KAJUKENBO,,,,,hence Daruma,Mitose,(Chow),Emperado, to GGM Aleju Reyes,,,the history of the KAJUKENBO FIST aka "Okinawan-Te Fist"  lives on as Kajukenbo Protocol.And the Legacy lives on..........
With All Due Respect for the coming Year
GMReyes 
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)