Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo Issues - How do you feel?

Poll

Whether your a white belt or grandmaster, how do you feel on these issues?

There was only one Sijo in Kajukenbo: Emperado
131 (21.7%)
I wouldn't mind a senior Kajukenbo practitioner using the title Sijo
6 (1%)
Only the 5 founder's should be 10th degree red/black belts
72 (11.9%)
I think it's OK for other senior Kajukenbo practitioners to be ranked at 10th degree red/black belt
37 (6.1%)
I don't think black belts from other systems should be cross ranked into Kajukenbo
109 (18%)
It's OK to cross rank black belts from other systems into Kajukenbo
12 (2%)
I don't think a instructor should promote another instructor's black belt students
49 (8.1%)
I think it's OK for a instructor to promote another instructor's black belt student, if the black belt has been with the new instructor for at least a year
73 (12.1%)
I feel there should be set standards for 8th and 9th degrees, similar to the one's set by the K.S.D.I. B.O.A.
89 (14.7%)
I think a instructor or organization should promote whoever they want to 8th and 9th degree
26 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: Kajukenbo Issues - How do you feel?  (Read 15112 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Kajukenbo Issues - How do you feel?
« on: December 20, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
Whether your a white belt or a grandmaster vote on how you feel about the issues in this poll.  There's 5 issues, so you are allowed 5 votes for 1 answer to each.
No comments are necessary, unless you want to make some.  This poll is anonymous, so don't worry about receiving any criticism for expressing your views.
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re: Kajukenbo Issues - How do you feel?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Prof John  I don't understand what you are asking here, check boxes if we agree?
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 01:34:11 PM »
Prof John  I don't understand what you are asking here, check boxes if we agree?

Yes, there is 2 choices for each of the 5 issues.  Check the box of the one you agree with. Or, if you don't have a opinion or care about one of the issues, leave that one blank.
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 01:01:22 PM »
Please vote
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 11:47:15 AM »
BTT
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 12:06:07 AM »
BTT
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:33:54 PM »
BTT
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
There was only one Sijo in Kajukenbo: Emperado  77 (21.1%)
I wouldn't mind a senior Kajukenbo practitioner using the title Sijo  3 (0.8%)

Only one. Nothing else to add to that.

Only the 5 founder's should be 10th degree red/black belts  44 (12.1%)
I think it's OK for other senior Kajukenbo practitioners to be ranked at 10th degree red/black belt  21 (5.8%)

Only the founders should be tenth, though I have no issue with other titles indicating seniority for 9th degrees such as "SGM" or "GGM"

I don't think black belts from other systems should be cross ranked into Kajukenbo  66 (18.1%)
It's OK to cross rank black belts from other systems into Kajukenbo  7 (1.9%)

Only if I can be cross-ranked into the Trump family and inherit his fortune like the rst of his kids.

I don't think a instructor should promote another instructor's black belt students  30 (8.2%)
I think it's OK for a instructor to promote another instructor's black belt student, if the black belt has been with the new instructor for at least a year  45 (12.3%)

I think the old policy is best: get permission from the former instructor and then wait two years to promote.

I feel there should be set standards for 8th and 9th degrees, similar to the one's set by the K.S.D.I. B.O.A.  54 (14.8%)
I think a instructor or organization should promote whoever they want to 8th and 9th degree  18 (4.9%)

It would be nice to see, but I doubt it will happen.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline kcerda

• White Belt
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
Inst a little un-democratic to spread around your opinion about a voting issue, just in the middle of a votation process? (No matter all who have been in the cafe for a while do knows Danjo's opinions already). Isnt an atempt to pressure the votes of the undecided ones? I think thats the reason because Prof. Bishop said "No comments are necessary" above...
Sifu Kristov Cerda
Half Blood Hawaiian Kenpo - Chile, Southamerica.
OKO

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »
Inst a little un-democratic to spread around your opinion about a voting issue, just in the middle of a votation process? (No matter all who have been in the cafe for a while do knows Danjo's opinions already). Isnt an atempt to pressure the votes of the undecided ones? I think thats the reason because Prof. Bishop said "No comments are necessary" above...

Be nice if you could quote accurately and not twist the meaning "No comments are necessary, unless you want to make some. " I WANTED to make some. I don't think people are so feable-minded that my comments will influence them as you seem to think.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline kcerda

• White Belt
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 12:35:34 AM »
It's so evident what u "wanted" that I just didnt put the whole quote. And I think u should add some psychology and communication theory to your martial art career...

Im not starting an argument, anyway. Thats the reason I posted before in the form of a couple of questions, cuz im expressing a doubt about the "democratic or undemocratic" pertinence of your intervention. Democracy is about a fair and free dialog, with no coercion, and yelling (or repeating yourself, in the form of a slogan) in a room of silent people that is thinking in making a right choice, seems a kind of coercion to me.
Sifu Kristov Cerda
OKO

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 02:58:18 AM »
It's so evident what u "wanted" that I just didnt put the whole quote. And I think u should add some psychology and communication theory to your martial art career...

Im not starting an argument, anyway. Thats the reason I posted before in the form of a couple of questions, cuz im expressing a doubt about the "democratic or undemocratic" pertinence of your intervention. Democracy is about a fair and free dialog, with no coercion, and yelling (or repeating yourself, in the form of a slogan) in a room of silent people that is thinking in making a right choice, seems a kind of coercion to me.

First off, the part about not having to comment was for the benefit of those that wanted to vote but didn't want others to know how they voted. It wasn't to prevent anyone from starting a discussion about the survey. Second, its not "undemocratic" unless I'm somehow preventing others from voting. Given that their votes are anonymous, there is no way for me to do that. Third, you have a very strange way of arguing a point. If you disagree with my opinions, then put up your own rather than attack me for posting mine. Do you really tink that if I don't say I think people should only be promoted by their teachers that that sways people? Look at the poll and tell me how most are voting. I understand that not everyone agrees with me. Who cares? I get it if someone belongs to a group that is notorious for handing out rank to those they never actually taught is a bit sensitive about people voicing opinions about these things, but then that's their problem, not mine. Should no one ever speak their mind for fear of being the first one in an empty room to do so? If Prof. Bishop had said "don't start a discussion, just vote" then I wouldn't have posted anything (especially since he's my teacher), but the option was there "if one wanted to" so .....
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 09:15:33 AM »
It is not a vote it is a poll. An opinion poll. Nothing undemocratic about anything Dan did.
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 10:43:22 AM »
It is not a vote it is a poll. An opinion poll. Nothing undemocratic about anything Dan did.

Thanks Professor. Good point: no one is being elected, nor is policy being decided here.
Dan Weston
FMAA

Offline kcerda

• White Belt
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 11:03:00 AM »

First off, the part about not having to comment was for the benefit of those that wanted to vote but didn't want others to know how they voted. It wasn't to prevent anyone from starting a discussion about the survey. Second, its not "undemocratic" unless I'm somehow preventing others from voting. Given that their votes are anonymous, there is no way for me to do that. Third, you have a very strange way of arguing a point. If you disagree with my opinions, then put up your own rather than attack me for posting mine. Do you really tink that if I don't say I think people should only be promoted by their teachers that that sways people? Look at the poll and tell me how most are voting. I understand that not everyone agrees with me. Who cares? I get it if someone belongs to a group that is notorious for handing out rank to those they never actually taught is a bit sensitive about people voicing opinions about these things, but then that's their problem, not mine. Should no one ever speak their mind for fear of being the first one in an empty room to do so? If Prof. Bishop had said "don't start a discussion, just vote" then I wouldn't have posted anything (especially since he's my teacher), but the option was there "if one wanted to" so .....

First, its pretty clear we dont have the same understanding about democracy, but this isnt the place to start a discussion about it. Second, Im not ataccking u, just expressing a doubt about the ethical (political) meaning of your behaviour,  and -believe it or not- my opinions about the poll issues are pretty the same as yours... so please stop the paranoia and overreaction. It seems u didnt understand the difference between someone who ask in a fair way if someone's actions are legitimate in a fixed context, and someone  who disagree and attacks someone's opinions or person. My mistake, i thought we are all educated people.

Let me clarify this with a parable: You are in thanksgiving dinner with ur family, and a cousin starts an argument  about becoming vegan because the suffering of the turkeys in poultry ranchs, just in the moment when ur mom is choping the turkey at the table. So u ask if is appropiate to have that kind of discussion in that moment.  ┬┐Should ur cousin feel attacked because of that, since u also made ur question in a polite way? Ur family can decide if they want to keep that kind of conversation or not, just that. But if your cousin becomes mad, and elaborate a paranoid fantasy about you trying to attack his opinions and person because you maybe are associated with a wealthy and evil poultry farmer ... ┬┐who's wrong?.
Sifu Kristov Cerda
OKO