Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Is that Kaju in motion?

Author Topic: Is that Kaju in motion?  (Read 12183 times)

Offline kcerda

• White Belt
Re: Is that Kaju in motion?
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2011, 02:16:18 PM »
Hello Sifu Cerda,

Thanks for the info. It is true that I have seen videos of their style on youtube, I do not base that as research but as far as seeing Kaju in motion it is all I have to look at unless I actually stop by another Kaju school. It is great to hear that their style is also based on actual techniques but what I saw on youtube made me wonder about a concept based kaju and not a technique based one. I think the idea of a concept based kaju is interesting and that is why I wanted to know more about them. I asked whether or not my kaju will look like theirs later on because I am always looking to perfect my art. It is from a curiosity based thought that I am coming from and not a judgmental point of view. Although I am a black belt I do not have any illusions about my knowledge and am always in search of more. I like to think out of the box!

Also, I am still training with Grandmaster Bianchi, do you know him?

Wow, I just saw a self defense video by Garcia from a friend and I see what you mean about his stuff being based on actual techniques. It actually burst by bubble because I was hoping that I found something that will help me travel a path less traveled by. Oh, well...

Hal

No one said youre going to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow...lol

I didnt know GM Bianchi in person, but in the first place i was from the Halbuna lineage, my first black belt degree was given to me by Sigung Jeff Wong, who knows well GM Bianchi and his career.
Sifu Kristov Cerda
Hawaiian Kenpo Ohana - Chile, Southamerica.
OKO - AKCM

Offline kajubones

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2011, 04:11:31 PM »
Hello Sifu Mark,

What you said about the bullring is what I mean by concept based. We do that exercise as well and find it a little hard to flow at times especially when we have not done it for a while. I suppose breaking down the exercise into concepts until it is second nature would help and then just speeding it up as you go along. Talking about this has given me some ideas and at least a starting point to work with, thanks.

Hello Sifu Cerda,

I guess you are right about the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow thing. Doesn't hurt to keep hoping though.

I trained under Halbuna myself. I met Grandmaster Bianchi there and stayed with him after Halbuna's passing.

Hal
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:18:54 PM by kajubones »
Sibak Harold Sy "Hal"
Kajukenbo student for over 20 years
Ramos/Halbuna/Bianchi

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2011, 05:38:07 PM »
I work on reaction drills much of the time.
The following is one of our drills.
Pick a technique and try to do it 10 times in a row.
Get 10 people in a line and have them come at you one at a time.
Do the technique on the first guy and start to do ground work on him.
The second guy can come at you when he feels like it, normally I tell the people in line to give them a 5 second count from the first point of contact.
And each person in line follows the same time frame.
To speed it up you can go to a 4 or 3 second count but be ready for fun.
Your technique will start to disappear but your concept should start to flow.
Make sure the person on the floor gets out of the way when you attack your next attacker otherwise people will start getting hurt.
Greg Harper
senior instructor, Gumataotao Kajukenbo
Head instructor, Kajupit MMA
Sijo Emperado's personal body guard

JessieEscobedo

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »
GM Harper,
           When I visited your instructor school at his house(1991 or 1993), he assigned numbers to each person, without us knowing, and starting calling out the numbers, it was not 5 seconds.  ;D That got my heart pumping.
Sijo was sitting on his papasan chair looking at us.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 07:42:59 PM by Jessie Escobedo »

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28:01 PM »
GM Harper does that also. So many ways to change up the action. That's the key GM Harper pushes toward, reaction, not static movement. Gotta have the ground work also. Remember fondly the pounding in the dirt from GM Larry's house.  8)
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline kajubones

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Hello Grandmaster Harper,

I like that drill, great idea! I will try that the next time I get a chance. On your bullring sessions, when a random attacker comes in with a knife or a club do you go by the rule where if multiple attackers are present and you strip a weapon from one of them you will end up retaining and using the weapon on the next attacker or do you end up throwing the weapon away when the next attacker comes in? Also if you use the weapon on the next attacker, how many attackers would you use the weapon on before you discard it? Just trying to get some different takes on the bullring sessions.

Hal
Sibak Harold Sy "Hal"
Ramos/Halbuna/Bianchi

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
As sifu Mark said there are many ways to do reaction drills.
On the bull ring I would use the knife on the attacker that came at me with it and maybe the next one but not after that.
The reason I would not use it after that is to keep reality in mind, equal force for equal force.
If you use a knife on an unarmed attacker you will end up in jail.
That in mind would you get rid of the knife or keep it on you to use if another attacker comes in with a weapon?
Sometimes class is small so you can do what we call man in the middle, groups of three.
Defender has one attacker in front of them and one attacker in back of them. 
The front attacker starts off and as soon as the first contact is made the attacker in back starts their count.
At the 5 count they attack, as soon as the second attacker starts the other attacker on the ground starts counting and comes to their feet to attack again.
We normally have each attacker attack 3 times each and then we rotate the person in the middle with one of the attackers and continue. You can work a single technique or free style.
Note we never have the attackers come straight in they can come from whatever direction they want.
Greg Harper

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 09:09:11 AM »
Those are good drills, Grandmast Harper.  We'll add them to our drills.  We love the bullring, and the monkey line.  We also drill wall fights.  The defender has his/her back near a wall when the attacker(s) move in.  This gives us a little taste of limited space and lateral movement.  Simulates parking lots, hallways, elevators, etc.   
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline kajubones

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
Hi Sibak Greg,

On your wall drills is it like the bullring or more like multiple attacker techniques where they are preset? It sounds interesting, when defending yourself in the streets you do have very limited space especially because the side walk is only so big. In some street fighting tactics I hear that having your back to a wall is preferable as you do not have someone sneaking up on you with a led pipe (a very painful memory I have had since high school as a very close friend of mine was killed that way)
Sibak Harold Sy "Hal"
Ramos/Halbuna/Bianchi

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2011, 03:09:42 PM »
Hi Sibak Greg,

On your wall drills is it like the bullring or more like multiple attacker techniques where they are preset? It sounds interesting, when defending yourself in the streets you do have very limited space especially because the side walk is only so big. In some street fighting tactics I hear that having your back to a wall is preferable as you do not have someone sneaking up on you with a led pipe (a very painful memory I have had since high school as a very close friend of mine was killed that way)

Placing the back to the wall especially in groups when out numbered is prudent as it protects us from blind-side attacks and heightens the sense of inner-desperation - thus making us several times more alert and stronger and effective.

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 06:05:48 PM »
Having your back NEAR a wall or car is great.  Having your back against the wall limits your movement.  Our drills are not preset.  We don't tell the attacker to just throw a right hand or just grab.  It's whatever, and we like to mix it up.  We try not to get locked into one response/technique, as there are infinite attacker scenerios, but it helps to train a few general movements and flowing strikes.  Play with it, and see what works best for you.  Think about it, close your eyes and see the attacker approach....what would you do, what can you do?  As always, footwork is a big deal, shifting your center and pivoting away from your attacker and or the wall/car/etc.  This is why we train Kajukenbo Techniques so much and with contact.  All those little moves within each technique and pinan gives us a whole tool box full of options to draw upon. 

We hope everyone had a great Christmas.  And we wish everyone has a safe and Happy New Year. 
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2011, 05:08:03 AM »
It seems that Sijo's Kajukenbo is surely recognized by his "close in" combative situations his "techniques",,standing and from the ground up,,,,In days past  Sijo Emperado would remark " fight as if you were in a "phone booth" both offensively and defensively,,,,analizing his "method" you will find that there is a base,,,and you have to deal with what you know, with each attacker! 6in punches ,uppercuts,downward elbows, horizontal forearms,knees,rising elbows,bear palms,forward elbows, all dealt with "close in" contact. Strengthen your techniques by sharpening each individual strike,,,so when techniques fade because of flow, the lethality of your movements will not,,,is that not KAJUKENBO, lethality of knowledge of techniques thru training.......Or is that just old school,,,a school of thought that your school is based on.. Happy 2012 ;)

Mele Kalikimaka
And a great 2012!
with all due respect
yours in Kajukenbo
GMReyes
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)

Offline Rev. Brian Henderson

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
  • Leeward Kenpo Karate-KAJUKENBO sine 1987
    • TheGatherings
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2011, 09:48:26 AM »
in days past  Sijo Emperado would remark " fight as if you were in a "phone booth" both offensively and defensively!

It's amazing to me that you quoted those words, because those were the very words I once heard him say and kept as the very heart of Kajukenbo.  The other statement that shaped my martial arts training that I heard him say was, "Multiple techniques!  If the first one don't get him then the second, third, fourth, or whateva will!"

Good memories GM... Thanks!
Rev. (Prof.) Brian T. Henderson (KSDI# 641)
Leeward Kenpo Karate Assoc.
Trinity Christian Martial Arts Ministry
7210 Lisbon St., San Diego, CA 92114
(619) 977-1613

Offline Ghost Rider

• Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Live hard & Die fast
    • Kajupit.com
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 02:41:54 PM »
" fight as if you were in a "phone booth"
I remember him saying thar also, we were just talking about that in classs last week.
Greg Harper

Offline kajubones

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Hi all,

Great info and training tips thank! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and will have a great new years!

Hal
Sibak Harold Sy "Hal"
Ramos/Halbuna/Bianchi