Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Footwork/Stances

Author Topic: Footwork/Stances  (Read 2908 times)

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
Footwork/Stances
« on: November 03, 2011, 06:11:33 PM »
Aloha Everyone,  Just checking in.  Things are good here in Peoria, Arizona. 
Last night's class was awesome.  The scheduled class was Weapons Defense, and we focused on Knife Defenses last night.  Coaching the mechanics and footwork of each belt level brought home the importance of Stances and the Pinans (forms). 
I know not everyone teaches forms, and I respect those who don't.  Everyone has their own style, their own curriculum, and that's cool.  Almost all training is good training. 
When faced with a weapon, we want to be either far away or close in.  Control of the weapon is the key, and practicing stances and footwork will help close the distance without being killed or disabled. 
I believe that practicing the Pinans (forms) is a very important aid to footwork, balance, and flow. 
Mahalo. 
Greg
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Aloha Aina

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Sifu Renato Bernardino
    • Kajukenbo Portugal
Re: Footwork/Stances
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 06:49:18 AM »
For me the forms are a very important tool and also a way to mantain the tradicional martial arts spirit.

You seem to be a very good instructor Sifu. Those concepts are important. Good work Sir.

Aloha
Sifu Renato Bernardino

Under GM Angel Garcia
Kajukenbo Portugal
www.kajukenbo.pt

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
Re: Footwork/Stances
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 11:29:10 AM »
Have to agree. I think doing the forms are paramount. Having fun with them. Do them fast, low and slow, breaking them down into just the footwork, etc. Repetition, repetition, repetition.
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.