Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kajukenbo 10th degree promotion.

Author Topic: Kajukenbo 10th degree promotion.  (Read 10332 times)

Offline Lhines

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Kajukenbo 10th degree promotion.
« on: August 19, 2011, 08:04:44 PM »
Has anyone else seen this ?

Kajukenbo Co-Founder Joe Holck has promoted Jeff Speakman to the rank of 10th degree Dai Shihan in Kajukenbo.

https://jeffspeakman.com/
Lee Hines
GM James Roberts Sr lineage
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana
www.cincinnatikajukenbo.com

Offline Aloha Aina

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Sifu Renato Bernardino
    • Kajukenbo Portugal
Re: Kajukenbo 10th degree promotion.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 08:33:08 PM »
"Master Jeff Speakman was presented the honorary rank of Judan, 10th  Degree Black Belt by Grandmaster Joe Holck, under the authority of the Kodenkan Yudanshakai.  In addition to this very great honor, Master Speakman was also enshrined in the Kajukenbo Hall of Fame." - written in the article.

Sifu Renato Bernardino

Under GM Angel Garcia
Kajukenbo Portugal
www.kajukenbo.pt

Offline Lhines

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
"Master Jeff Speakman was presented the honorary rank of Judan, 10th  Degree Black Belt by Grandmaster Joe Holck, under the authority of the Kodenkan Yudanshakai.  In addition to this very great honor, Master Speakman was also enshrined in the Kajukenbo Hall of Fame." - written in the article.

I didn't see the section of the article that mentioned it was an honorary degree until you mentioned it. The certificate doesn't say anything about being honorary. Weird that they would present such a high ranking title such as Dai Shihan for an honorary degree.

Sincerely.

Lee Hines
GM James Roberts Sr lineage
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana
www.cincinnatikajukenbo.com

Offline Aloha Aina

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Sifu Renato Bernardino
    • Kajukenbo Portugal
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 01:57:50 AM »
yes, but anyway, Just wanted to put that so people that are over my experience and rank could have a better first view off this. I'm not going to make any particulary opinion comment about it. Just taking some facts pointed. Indeed the certificate has no mention on that, and indeed it mentions Kajukenbo.

Mahalo,

Sifu Renato Bernardino

Under GM Angel Garcia
Kajukenbo Portugal
www.kajukenbo.pt

sgns1173

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:48:22 AM »
Aloha,

This is very interesting that Professor Joe Holck promoted Jeff Speakman to Judan (10th Degree) under the authority of Kodokan Yudanshakai.  FYI, Professor Holck has Alzheimer and I do not see anything in certificate that states he is a 10th degree in Kajukenbo.  Furthermore, what Kajukenbo Hall of Fame?  Also there is no title of Dai Shihan in Kajukenbo.    

To the best of my recollection, Joe Sylva was the product of Gilbert Radugo who was under Water Godin. I was present along with GMs Dela Cruz, Sixto Ramos, Luka Ramos and Professor Al Auiro, when Billy Takeuchi, John Hackleman and Professor Godin's daughter, Delilah Godin Luis were promoted to 10th degree and the Miramar Hotel in Waikiki. Joe Sylva might have been promoted at later event.

Respectfully,

Gerry Scott

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:43:56 PM by Kalihi/Palama Boy »

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »
Looks funny to me.  I was told that Joe Holck has suffered from alzheimer's the last few years, and is in very poor health. 
And if you look at the signatures, all the Holck's seem to have the same handwriting, which doesn't look like the Joe Holck signatures I've seen before. 
Also, Holck's organization is the "Kodenkan Yudanshukai" not the "Kodokan Yudanshukai". And where is Professor Vinson Holck's signature on the certificate?  He's usually the other Holck that signs the certificates.   
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

sgns1173

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:13:36 PM »
Aloha,

I have CO-Founder Joseph Holck signature on one of my promotional certificate in 2000 and his signature does not resemble the signature that appears on Jeff Speakman?s certificate. Furthermore, I have been trained by the Honolulu Police Department in Forensics/Handwriting Analysis. Also, CO-Founder Holck signs his name Joseph not Joe.

Respectfully

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:59 PM »
The more you look at the certificate, the more questions come up.

1.  Why is it not like the other certificates the Kodenkan Yudanshukai uses?
2.  Why does it says "we" promote the above person?
3.  Why is it is not numbered, like the other Kodenkan Yudanshukai certificates?
4.  Why does Joe Holck, the head of the Kodenkan Yudanshukai have no title under his name?
5.  Why is Joe Sylva the only one with a title listed on the certificate?
6.  Why is the stamp (chop) after Joe Holck's name different?

Here's a true sample of the signature lines on a Kodenkan Yudanshukai certificate.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:24:09 PM by John Bishop »
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Sleddog

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
    • GAMMA
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 03:01:51 PM »
As indicated in the text below the certificate, it is an HONORARY rank, which is the same type of thing that is given out by respected universities around the world at their commencement exercises.

I am not worried that Mr Speakman is getting ready to open a Kajukenbo school anytime soon. Others might not show this restraint.

It would be a shame if unscrupulous people are starting to use this man's name and reputation while he is unable to stop them.

On a similar note, I don't really think that Sijo Emperado actually signed my certificate of participation at the Union City KSDI event (July, 2011)either.
Philip Gelinas
Training MA (since 1967)
Kajukenbo, Emperado & Chuan Fa Methods, (Since 1971)
KSDI, BOA
Pekiti Tirsia Kali (Under GT Gaje since 1981)
Jun Fan Gung Fu, Kali & Maphilindo Silat (Under Sifu Dan Inosanto Since 1990)
BJJ (Since 1998)

Offline onephatboydave

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 03:05:38 PM »
If you look at the bottom it says awarded through Kodenkan Yudanshukai affiliate Might be Sylva's certificate.  
David Garcia    Student Blackbelt/Black Sash
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Under Grand Master David V. Amiccuci
Honor, Bravery, Loyalty,Family

sgns1173

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »
Aloha Professor Bishop,

The certificate is not legit if any one is inferring that it is a Kajukenbo Certificate, in my humble opinion.  Mahalo for further investigating Jeff Speckman's certificate.  Your points are excellent.  Also, who authorized Joe Sylva to do this?    

Respectfully  

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:57:01 PM by Kalihi/Palama Boy »

Offline Sleddog

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
    • GAMMA
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:20:14 PM »
As repugnant as it my be that this has occurred, others have issued "Kajukenbo" certificates who have no right but think they do because they have been around for a long time.

I take exception to the fact that this has happened, just bringing up the fact that it has happened before with no outcry.
Philip Gelinas
Training MA (since 1967)
Kajukenbo, Emperado & Chuan Fa Methods, (Since 1971)
KSDI, BOA
Pekiti Tirsia Kali (Under GT Gaje since 1981)
Jun Fan Gung Fu, Kali & Maphilindo Silat (Under Sifu Dan Inosanto Since 1990)
BJJ (Since 1998)

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
Before we all freak out, has anyone contacted Mr. Speakman for clarification?
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 06:24:17 PM »
Since the certificate was also posted on Mr. Speakman's Facebook wall back in June, it sure does seem like whomever issued (and signed) the certificate, did so with *someone's* knowledge (and, I'm guessing, their authority) ??

It just seems like a document THAT public would have already passed the "authenticity" test.

Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 06:33:55 PM »
Since the certificate was also posted on Mr. Speakman's Facebook wall back in June, it sure does seem like whomever issued (and signed) the certificate, did so with *someone's* knowledge (and, I'm guessing, their authority) ??

It just seems like a document THAT public would have already passed the "authenticity" test.

Don't know how many of the Tucson Kodenkan jujitsu people read Speakman's Facebook page regularity.  It took this long for the news to make it to the most popular Kajukenbo forum on the web.  And I've still seen no mention of it on any of the popular Kenpo forums.   
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA