Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Why your techniques might not work

Author Topic: Why your techniques might not work  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
Why your techniques might not work
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:47:23 PM »
Greetings,

Most of us want to believe that we practice harder than other people. That we are better trained and can take care of ourselfs in any situation. The reality of it though is not everyone is as good as they think they are and their training is not as practical or as real as it should be.

Most of us learned set techniques like knife 1, club 2, two-man three, grab four, punch five and so forth. Through years of practice those techniques become your arsenal of defense. The folks you train with have learned just exactly how to grab you, punch at you, swing the club, poke with the knife and so forth. In turn, you learned just exactly how to defend against their attack. Sound familiar?

That's how most of us learned our Kajukenbo or other means of defense. Martial arts has many different levels of training. Unfortunately, a lot of folks don't go to the next level. The next level from structured techniques is the "bull in the ring" concept where your attackers surround you and attack you by grabbing, punching, swinging a club, or whatever and you have to fend them off.

Some schools use the bull in the ring training and those students who participate learn the need to be able to flow from one thing to the next. They also learn that most responses will not be any of the static techniques they learned to earn their belts.

While the bull in the ring training is good there is another level to it. When we fight back we need to be able to hit and kick our attacker with all our force. If we practice to use less than all our force we cheat ourselves and don't get realistic responses from our attackers. If your attackers are not padded up to the point where you can punch them in the mouth full force or kick them in the stomach, legs, etc. then you are not practicing what you really need to practice. Being able to let it all go should be your real response. While you can do this a few times without pads, most students would get hurt or even quit--not what we want.

That kind of training allows you to go full force and practice not only your flow, but your power, and accuracy. Even more important you get to work on your balance and footwork. We all know how hard it is to fight when we don't have a good stance or proper balance. Keeping your balance after hitting a target with full force is not all that easy.

All techniques work at half speed. Do your techniques work at full speed? When was the last time you checked? How often do you check?

Peace!

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re: Why your techniques might not work
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 01:49:15 PM »
Great points as usual GM Powell. Even just going full speed against one padded enemy can be a big wake up call, then progressing to multiple attackers. We go full contact but not the way you describe very often, probably not often enough. Thanks for the reminder.

Is there any particular good padding for protecting the neck from injury that you might recommend. Or is it more a matter of learning to tuck the chin and strengthening the neck?

All techniques work at half speed. Do your techniques work at full speed? When was the last time you checked? How often do you check?

I believe you are saying that we can get any technique to work in training with a partner but if they aren't tested in conditions close to the chaos of a real world situation, we have no idea whether it will really work.

All techniques work at half speed is something of personal gotcha for me because people sometimes lump half-speed training with static training. Half-speed training can be just as dynamic as full speed but obviously there is some agreement to not go full speed.

I don't think all techniques work at half speed. In fact I believe that if you can't get a technique to work at half speed, how do you know it works at full speed? I believe that a technique has to work at all speeds. So you have to train it at all speeds, including as close as you can get to full speed.

For example, lets say I go full speed and hit someone in the solar plexus that is smaller than me. I knock them back. Now let's say I then do the same strike and hit someone twice my size and I bounce back and they aren't affected at all. In the first case I learned it does work, but in the second case I learned that it doesn't work against people bigger. This is a strong indication that my technique is bad, that I was using speed and strength to compensate for bad technique.

Now take that full speed training as experience for half-speed training. I strike my partner in the solar plexus, are they stunned? If they aren't stunned, it is either I pulled the strike too much or my strike is not effective. I'm not counting missing the target, which is fairly common and in itself is an issue with training. The point is that at half-speed, it still must be made effective. I hit to the solar plexus, for example, I make sure to focus the force on the first or first two knuckles, if my structure is good, I should knock the wind out of them and at the least, stun them or it isn't effective... whether this is half speed or full speed. Given that if the training partner can't take it, I need to protect them, but they still should feel it know it would work.

I've seen many times where someone not as strong is grabbed or tries to grab someone much stronger and they cannot do anything. This is at half speed as well as full speed. At half speed they are unable to stun or unbalance their opponent effectively because their structure/technique is not good. They get stuck and can't flow to what comes next.

So I ask, in addition to the "Will it work at full speed", the question from me is, "Will it work at half speed?"

P.S. When the opponent is not stunned or unbalanced, you have to start over, change up timing and re-engage without hesitation but deal with their counter attack. This is the flow of what comes next. If they are stunned or unbalanced then you can finish them so they do not recover.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 02:10:49 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington