Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
bottle or knife?

Author Topic: bottle or knife?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
bottle or knife?
« on: January 28, 2011, 04:12:48 PM »
I was talking to jujitsu friend of mine,about weapon disarming we both agreed that getting hold of the arm can be vary hard,but he was saying if you did that he thourt a broken bottle would be harder to diarm as it can break jagged and its easer to cut your self. now i only have real life experience of being attacked with a knife but i would of thourt it much the same as a broken bottle or am i wrong.maby if one of you has been attacked by a bottle you could share your experience
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Pat Regan

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Facebook: Pat Regan
Re: bottle or knife?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
Dom said: "maby if one of you has been attacked by a bottle you could share your experience"

We've had bottles in our home for as long as I can remember.  So far, none of them has attacked anyone.  They just sort of sit there on the shelf and don't really do anything.  But it could be a clever subterfuge.  Perhaps they are planning an offensive.  I'll keep an eye on them and let you know if anything happens.   ;D

VBR,

Pat   
Gung Fu

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2011, 04:58:34 PM »
I was talking to jujitsu friend of mine,about weapon disarming we both agreed that getting hold of the arm can be vary hard,but he was saying if you did that he thourt a broken bottle would be harder to diarm as it can break jagged and its easer to cut your self. now i only have real life experience of being attacked with a knife but i would of thourt it much the same as a broken bottle or am i wrong.maby if one of you has been attacked by a bottle you could share your experience

I think in some places they throw bottles at you, but that isn't what you are talking about.

The only bottle story I can remember is Professor Mateo was in a bar (when he was younger) and they were going outside to fight. Well he turned around to go out the door and got smashed in the back of the head by a beer bottle. The guy who he was going to fight had sucker punched him with the bottle from behind.

As for generally speaking, I've only met a few people that probably could pull off a disarm easily, I think for most people, the idea of disarming a knife or broken bottle is not an option.... first the enemy should be at a minimum stunned and unbalanced through striking before a disarm is even attempted, IMHO.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2011, 10:49:39 PM »
I never saw a single incident during my career at OPD where someone attacked another person with a bottle, so in the Oakland, Ca. area that would not be a common method of attack. I do remember going to the Dixon Mayfair when I was about 17. I had won some cool drinking glasses by throwing dimes into the glasses. Some knuckleheads walked up on me an a friend and for no reason one of them punched my friend in the mouth. I scooped up one of the glasses in my hand and smacked the guy in the face, cutting his face wide open. Not one of my prouder momments, but a good example of what could happen if someone hit you in the face with a glass or bottle. 
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline xGUMOx

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 12:03:07 AM »
Getting hit in the face with a bottle sucks a$$... I was bouncing a while back and fight broke out, as I was running towards the fight someone threw a unopened corona and it smacked me in the nose. It broke my nose and I got about six stitches on the side of it. It probably would of been worse if the bottle broke...
SIFU BILLY GUMATAOTAO-5TH DEGREE BLACK BELT
GUMATAOTAO KAJUKENBO/SAVAGE BREED MMA
BAUTISTA & GUMATAOTAO LINEAGE
SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 04:44:11 AM »
thanks for the input guys.I think it is doormen who do come in contact with this weapon the most as a bottle or glass is on hand.my brother has told me to go and talk to his old goju ryu teacher as he has been bouncing for over 30 years (and before you say anything pat yes i am sure he's tied)so i will post any good stores he tells me
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 12:23:45 PM »

One of my uncles used to tell me stories from the late 1930s when he was a Judo guy. Back where he was at there were regular gang fights between the Japanese and Chinese. Some stories about those fights, but that's for another time. One time working on the docks in California, one of the guys who was a former Judo champion in Japan was attacked by another worker from the Philippines who had a knife.

The former Judo champion eventually broke the attacker's arm and then choked him out. After the fight, the Judo guy said it took too long. In Judo they had trained all the time against a downward knife attack and had that attack been used it would have ended quickly, but the Filipino attacked in ways he had not seen before.

A couple things, there was no mention of a disarm, just breaking the arm and it ended with a choke out. I don't know any other specifics. The taking too long was an indication that getting attacked in ways you are not familiar with can really throw things off.

I come out of this looking at the value of cross-training or training against people that don't always think and do things as you do. IMHO, it is good to work on fundamentals that work well whether it is a knife or a bottle or barefisted, etc.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington