Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?

Author Topic: WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?  (Read 11621 times)

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re: WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:41 PM »
I think most people that train hard are fairly honest about themselves when it comes down to face-to-face and knowing someone. Usually the old stories are about someone else that they admired; even in a group of tough training, there are those that stand out. Today, yesterday, long time ago... there are those that standout among peers.

I don't think it is a matter of being tough, it is a matter of being tough enough for what you get put through. A lot of the really outstanding tough old timers just aren't around anymore, I think it is good to have people that can tell story about them. Even if the story teller isn't or never was as tough, they were there.

Got to tell story to the next generation and the next... keep the flame going.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Pat Regan

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Facebook: Pat Regan
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:51:49 AM »
And not to beat a dead horse; but just as an afterthought....

The old Kajukenbo boys were some no-poop bad dudes.  No doubt about that.  But the first thing they taught me to do?  Pray.

"Almighty and eternal God,
protector of all who put their trust in thee..."

VBR,

Pat

My point was: while the old Kajukenbo boys taught mayhem, they had the morality to infuse higher values into the training.  That's all I was saying.   8)

Oh, and actually, I didn't say "poop".  But okay, I get it.  This is a family-suitable website with a profanity filter.  I'll clean up my act.   :) 

VBR,

Pat

Gung Fu

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »
Some good points made--each generation has both great and not so great students. What I have noticed is students now are more interested in learning mma based ring fighting principles than martial arts principles. The mma is so big now and so popular and has been for about 10 years that this new generation of students only know that. My generation grew up with Bruce Lee as Kato and then the Kung Fu tv show. I (dare I say it) started training in Tae Kwon Do (otherwise know as Take My Doe) in the early 70s. Karate was fading but I didn't know it at the time. Around the summer of 1974 I began training with Tony Ramos in Kajukenbo. Since I was training in Kajukenbo and only 14 I didn't really focus on what was going on in the martial arts world, but by then Karate was dying. Kung fu had taken it's place. It was such a big influence that even Kajukenbo stopped using Japanese terms like sensei and dojo and swithced to Chinese terms like Sifu and kwoon.

What we are seeing is another evolution of the arts. Traditional kung fu, jujitsu, judo, etc. are being replaced by mma and the schools that are trying to hold on to tradtional teaching are having a hard time selling it to the new wave of students. They want to do what BJ Penn and Chuck Liddel does. Those are their Bruce Lee.

Fortunately for us Kajukenbo is a street based self defense system, so we ALWAYS have that over mma. We train for the street, against multiple attackers, against attackers with weapons and have targets like eyes, throat and groin. Because of that we can still get the folks who know they need to be able to protect themselves in the street but the UFC and other mma based shows make it very difficult to get enough students to make it worth the while. I blend it together but still find you get one group that does mma and the other that does street self defense.

Pat I was not commenting on anything you said, just get tired of hearing how tough ALL of the old guys were. I've been around long enough to know which ones were really tough guys and which ones were fake. By the way, the best martial artist I have ever trained with is your old training partner Ted Sotelo. He was mma before anyone knew what mma was and not just a guy who can teach it--he does it. 

Craig that is good news. I was hoping you and Louis would hook up. I've know him since the Take My Doe days.

Professor John, I was thinking of you and GM Harper when I wrote my post. When your students are relentlessly beat on while they train and they stay around they become some pretty tough folks.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:03 PM »
Pat I was not commenting on anything you said, just get tired of hearing how tough ALL of the old guys were. I've been around long enough to know which ones were really tough guys and which ones were fake. By the way, the best martial artist I have ever trained with is your old training partner Ted Sotelo. He was mma before anyone knew what mma was and not just a guy who can teach it--he does it. 

There was a post for information about Bruce Lee a few days ago, and I immediately thought of GM Sotelo's interview.

http://www.kellyworden.com/OnTheEdge4a.html

Unfortunately the media file seems to not be available anymore. But I remember a lot of great things said in the interview about the first UFC and what it meant to those in the know. Also some great stuff about Bruce Lee.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Thanks GM Mitch...it's nice to be thought on during this type of subject...I want them to love the arts and also to get themselves and their familes home safe...GT
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Rob Moga

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Modify and Blend
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 09:01:33 PM »

There was a post for information about Bruce Lee a few days ago, and I immediately thought of GM Sotelo's interview.

http://www.kellyworden.com/OnTheEdge4a.html

Unfortunately the media file seems to not be available anymore. But I remember a lot of great things said in the interview about the first UFC and what it meant to those in the know. Also some great stuff about Bruce Lee.

This was a great interview.  I downloaded a copy of the interview for myself when I first heard it.  I have uploaded it here:
http://hulkshare.com/epksk4sqvfq7
Rob Moga
Kajukenbo Fi Kuen
Cacoy Doce Pares

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:30:29 AM »
be careful to just hit the link for the file...there is spyware a foot on the referred site.....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision