Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?

Author Topic: WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?  (Read 11610 times)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
Re: WHATS WITH STUDENTS TODAY?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 12:27:01 PM »
As for instructors.I have been training with my father since i was three he is a 6th dan AIKIDO & a MENKYO KAIDEN AIKI-JUTSU.I have a second dan in AIKIDO AND AIKI_JUTSU WITH HIM.my rank is in chinese kenpo karate under sifu tony berchett 6th dan.i also have a first dan in nihon jujitsu under sensei nick bond 3rd dan.i have a third gup in koong joon hapkido under trevor rant 5th toby lee 4th dan dan ian bell 3ard dan.shotokan karate 6th kyu sensei graham palmer 5th dan sensei ivor garner 5th dan sensei atkins 3rd dan sensei ian miller 3rd dan.escrima GM danny guba 10th dan.BJJ steve cowan black belt
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

I enjoy reading posts from all of you. Great stuff and it is relevant to the past and the future, as well as today, IMHO. How GM Harper stated that people are softer today, I believe, says a lot of to the truth about the present state.

We had one student, Sheila, who had a son training with us and liked what she saw, so she joined Kajukenbo. However, she did not like the contact levels we train with. She spent years just doing forms and she was told she could never get rank in Kajukenbo because she did not train with heavy contact. She learned all the forms for rank requirements and was tested on the forms, but she did not get rank in Kajukenbo. Meanwhile her son was training with us and was gaining rank in Kajukenbo. She was training our techniques with her son at home to help him. Eventually, years later, she began to train with heavier contact. Kajukenbo grew on her and in the end she was hitting harder than a lot of us. She went on to get her black belt in Kajukenbo.

I think stories like above are not that rare, but probably for every Sifu Sheila, there are hundreds or maybe thousands of others that don't make it to black belt.

I think everyone has their own story, but what is important is that they let Kajukenbo change them, they do not come in and try to change everything else. You have to be willing to let yourself be changed through hard and sincere training.

Professor Mateo trained in CHA 3 Kenpo Karate in the 1960s. Their training consisted of full contact fighting... The black belts beat up the white belts... people were knocked out often in class. What GM Harper stated about people being softer today is right on to the truth, IMHO. GM Scott and Prof. Mateo tell me stories, I agree with them that I would not last 17 seconds training like the old CHA 3 Kenpo Karate school did. At the same time, hopefully we train smarter than before.

Everything has a cost to go along with the benefits. It was not uncommon for students of that old school to drink before and after class. Some took shots before class. Extreme training methods can lead to drastic measures to allow the body and mind to adapt. It was alcohol in their case.

With more recent times there are those on the extreme end that use steroids and pain killers to coop with extreme training.

Hopefully, we are training smarter and not doing any of that stuff, but are still able to train hard and sincerely AND with contact.

W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 01:11:48 PM »
AMEN TO THAT

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:04 AM »
wado wrote "What GM Harper stated about people being softer today is right on to the truth, IMHO."

According to one of my teachers that was raised and trained in Hawaii, most of the students he trained with were day laborers or farmers.  They had strong legs and hands.  As martial arts training spreads into more affluent areas or seeks the payments of those able to pay $100-200 for instruction, the bulk of the students will be those that undo their workouts by sitting in chairs for 8-10 hours/day.   It's interesting to note that the average height and weight has also increased significantly in only two generations.   I forgot know what my point is.  Lemme finish this beer.  Oh, as martial arts spread into the general population, the bulk of the students will be less than "the 300."

"Kids, these days ..."  - Anonymous, 730 B.C.
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 05:02:17 AM »
I think your right about hard working men in martial art.our club is nearish to a construction site and we sometimes get the builders come and train,and man do they have a grip , whats even better is when the builders who have done a lot wrestling  come they are great to grapple with

Offline Pat Regan

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Facebook: Pat Regan
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 06:02:17 PM »
And not to beat a dead horse; but just as an afterthought....

The old Kajukenbo boys were some no-poop bad dudes.  No doubt about that.  But the first thing they taught me to do?  Pray.

"Almighty and eternal God,
protector of all who put their trust in thee..."

VBR,

Pat
Gung Fu

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 08:30:44 PM »
We have to use control whenever we are fighting eaching other in practice. Although the contact may appear to be very hard to outsiders, the reality is that we are holding back full physical speed and power but more importantly we are witholding our intent to harm. Our full intention never penetrates.

In any kind of mortal struggle this type of control developed and exhibited through practice leads to the ability to unleash an extreme brutal intent bent on survival whenever the time may call for it. And as Sifu Pat points out "pray." The spiritual component of what we do is ever present whenever it counts the most - at least it has been for me. It has always humbled me afterwards that I was able to deliver what was needed at the moment it was needed most. It all starts, however, in the training environment. We train the way we fight and we must always use control - control to hurt, maime, or kill - or the control not to hurt, maime or kill.

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Tim Vargas

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 09:31:30 PM »
We have to use control whenever we are fighting eaching other in practice. Although the contact may appear to be very hard to outsiders, the reality is that we are holding back full physical speed and power but more importantly we are witholding our intent to harm. Our full intention never penetrates.

In any kind of mortal struggle this type of control developed and exhibited through practice leads to the ability to unleash an extreme brutal intent bent on survival whenever the time may call for it. And as Sifu Pat points out "pray." The spiritual component of what we do is ever present whenever it counts the most - at least it has been for me. It has always humbled me afterwards that I was able to deliver what was needed at the moment it was needed most. It all starts, however, in the training environment. We train the way we fight and we must always use control - control to hurt, maime, or kill - or the control not to hurt, maime or kill.

Pat
:)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 06:32:46 AM »
I can not tell you how good it is to see martial artists talking about praying to GOD,in the uk if you talk about GOD in the dojo most of the time you get looked at as if you've lost your mind.I know a lot of instructors in the local area that are messed up on drink and/or drugs normally painkillers ) in fact one vary skilled kung fu sifu choked to death on his own vomit a few years ago.i am not saying that if he had prayed he would have been ok but I do think acknowleding a higher power dose help you keep on the right path
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 06:48:38 AM by dom28 »

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 09:04:36 AM »
We say the prayer to start and end class...I give a choice whether to say it or not or change little things themselves to suit them....but in reality in the 22 years we have been been doing that I have seen only a couple people who did, once changed a couple words and one just wouldn't say anything...and that was many years ago....lets pray we never have to hurt someone badly defending ourselves....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »
i am not saying that if he had prayed he would have been ok but I do think acknowleding a higher power dose help you keep on the right path

I am sorry, but I don't buy that.  The WHKD creed has the word G-d in it, and I honor that creed, and as a Jew I believe in G-d.  However, I don't mandate that people say that part of the creed (many skip it), nor do I think acknowledging a higher power helps keep people on the right path, as you put it.  The majority of my students are agnostic or atheist, and they are very good, decent people.  Believing in 0, 1, 2+ gods or a nebulous higher power in my mind has no bearing on the merits of a person; it's how they conduct themselves that matters, and I have in my life been more appalled/offended/scared by deeply religious people (fanatical, fundamentalist, evangelical, or otherwise), than I have been by atheists.  That being said, most deeply religious people are equally respectful as the atheists I know, but as a percentage, I have had more trouble in encounters with the deeply religious than the deeply atheist. 
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Greetings,

Not to sound disrespectful but I bet there are some of us who actually train harder than the early Kajukenbo schools. Before you lose your mind, fighting is fighting. Tough is tough. All of us have trained with tough guys who can fight. I would bet my house Bobby Wilson (Professor under Emil Bautista) could have pounded all those guys. If not, I know he could have held his own in the school and out in the street with any of them. I bet you know someone like that too. Let's show the love but let's also be honest.

My dad fought in two wars but he was still 5-6 and 160 lbs. I have great appreciation for his contribution to our country but I know just because he fought in two wars doesn't mean he was the baddest guy on the planet. Those from the early days know who the tough guys were in Kajukenbo and they also know who used to hide when it was time for monkeyline or sparring. Some of those guys who hid are the same guys who want you to think they were the tough guys.    
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:27:47 AM by Mitch Powell »
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »
I know some tough guys GM Mitch..past and present
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2011, 02:57:37 PM »
I know Im tough, but def not the toughest - But when somone is trying to take your head off, you gotta hold it down.....At that moment in time, nothing else matters.....
Scott Goldstein
Kajukenbo Black Belt - 1st Degree
Under Sifu Victor Ballesteros & Sifu Virgilio de Carvalho
Frontyard Fighting Arts - Nyack, NY

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline Craig Jiminez

• White Belt
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:30 PM »
GM Powell. I know a few tough guys who came out of your dojo. Two of which are your boys. Thank you for all your guidance. I'm training with Sifu Louis Javier now on the wknds.