Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
EYE STRIKES

Author Topic: EYE STRIKES  (Read 6035 times)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
EYE STRIKES
« on: January 19, 2011, 04:00:35 PM »
I WAS TALKING TO A OLD TRAINING PARTNER OF MINE,AND HE WAS TELLING ME ABOUT A CLUB HE HAD GONE TO, THAT THEY  DID FINGER THRUSTS TO THE EYES.WE THINK THIS IS NOT THE BEST WAY TO GO FOR THE EYES AS IF HE MOVES A BIT OR YOU MISS FROM BAD LIGHTING ECT YOU CAN HURT YOUR FINGERS.THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE EYE STRIKES IS TO MAKE CONTACT WITH THE FACE THEN EYE GOUGE LIKE EAR SLAP THEN THUMB TO THE EYE OR PALM HEEL TO THE JAW AND FINGERS TO THE EYE.IF HE GOES DOWN FROM THE STRIKE GREAT BUT IF HIS HEAD IS STILL THEAR THEN WE GOUGE HIM.WHAT WAY OF EYE GOUGING DO YOU LIKE?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:10:34 PM by dom28 »
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
Re: EYE STRIKES
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 05:16:27 PM »
The thumb to the eyes, isn't that in the boxing part of Kajukenbo?  ;)

I hate getting hit in the eyes, so I know eye strikes work with the fingers.

There are some that have eliminated eye strikes because they work in areas with high risk of AIDS or other diseases that can be transferred through body fluids. I actually kind of relate to this line of thinking and so my preferred strike to the eyes is a hammer fist, just using the knuckles to rake the eyes.

I think this works well with our punch and counters that strike at the bicep or arm, if close enough, hammer fist to the eye.

The eye strike that I think is another good one is a palm strike (almost a slap) to the forehead (which could be lights out right there). If they are wearing glasses or eye protection, the fingers then can swipe the glasses right off their face on the way down. Then the eye rake motion that follows we call the beauty queen. You know how in a parade the beauty queen waves to everyone. A side-to-side motion with wrist, well it is that motion and then rapidly rake the eyes with the fingernails... ends up like a buzz saw. In fact, Professor Mateo once or a few times told me that they used to be able to spot a martial artist not to mess with in Hawaii because they would sharpen their finger nails to a point. These days they don't do that, but the RBSD circles do have things like "the Shredder" which follows some of the same concepts and simliar technique.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
Eye pokes are done with the pad of the fingers ...thee fingers should have a bend in them for flex aand the strike supple   and quick not stiff and tight...we use them alot and the fingers never have problems that way....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 05:53:01 PM »
Eye pokes are done with the pad of the fingers ...thee fingers should have a bend in them for flex aand the strike supple   and quick not stiff and tight...we use them alot and the fingers never have problems that way....

Oh yeah, even the eye rake I posted is done with the fingers bent and is supple. I may have forgot to mention that.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 12:15:32 PM »
I took a thumb to the eye and ended up with 8 eye operations. Finger, thumb, knuckle, toe, anything that fits in the eye works. Don't over think it.
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Yes sir, Eye strikes are one of the three best strikes.  Super effective for Women.  Learning how to keep the fingers slightly bent takes practice, as does everything worthwhile.
Greg
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
We use old Xrays, a student hold an Xray with eyes drawn on it the other student tries to hit while it's a moving target.  The Xray makes a loud pop when hit and they last for years....great for footwork also....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 02:36:45 PM »
Now I know why you hold martini glasses when you do your forms--keeps the fingers bent. That's real old skool training!
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 09:08:28 PM »
Does that include the pinky?
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 11:45:10 PM »
The martini training is essential for old school Kaju training ...and yes the pinky is included...we are civilized you know.... ;D
GM John E Bono DC