Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
REAL TRAINING

Author Topic: REAL TRAINING  (Read 4141 times)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
REAL TRAINING
« on: January 14, 2011, 05:52:27 AM »
I FIND IT HARD SOMETIMES GIVING MY STUDENTS A FEEL OF HOW IT IS ON THE STREET.GETTING OVER THE FACT THAT KNOWING A TECHNIQUE IS IN ITS SELF IS NOT ALL YOU NEED.THAT EVEN FULL CONTACT SPARING DOSE HAVE ITS PROBLEMS SUCH AS HITTING A GUY WITH A FULL FACE HEAD GUARD IS NOT THE SAME AS HITTING A HEAD WITH NOTHING IN BETWEEN.SO I HAVE BEEN THINKING OF GETTING A FEW OF THOSE HAMMER HEADS SHOWN IN BLACK BELT.SO IF YOU HAVE ONE HOW GOOD ARE THEY AND IF NOT DO ANY OF YOU HAVE A BETTER TRAINING TOOL FOR HITTING A HEAD.UNTIL THEN ITS BACK TO GROIN SHOTS
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:54:04 AM by dom28 »
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
Re: REAL TRAINING
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
Use boxing gloves and go full contact.
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:04:19 PM »
we do that to get good at hitting a enemy on the move. but you can get the bad habit of not punching clenched.we all know of boxers snapping thear hands & wrists.thats the reason i want a tool that we can hit hard and without a glove and its like a head

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 05:36:27 PM »
Good topic, in my opinion all of the physical training combined with the mental part of what targets to hit in a particular situation generally work together well for somebody with the right frame of mind when it comes to defending yourself on the street.  Using proper striking techniques to the particular targets of the head should eliminate most hand injuries.  I think "punching" the crown of the head should be avoided if possible.  More effective strikes like eye pokes, open hand to the ear, punch, chop, or ridge hand to the throat, or even the punch to the nose although discouraged nowadays because of the blood factor are in my opinion much better and more effective.  Basically, I think you either have the instinct to react on the street or not.  Using the proper technique for the target is paramount.  If punching the head is necessary, proper tendon alignment and using the index and middle knuckle when punching should be stressed.  Punching a maka whari (spelling?)board are great for strengthening the knuckles and bones of the hands as well as working on tendon alignment. 
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 08:28:45 PM »
Here's a suggestion for you. Write down a list of the top five types of attacks you think your students could face based on the types of attacks that you read about in your local paper or know first hand that have actually occurred to you or someone you know. Not what could or may happen, but what is really happening where you live.

Let's say you learned there's a problem with groups of teens jumping people at the local mall. The groups usually consist of three to four teenagers and they "rat-pack" the person by running up on them and all punching and kicking the person to the ground. You will need to create a training drill or scenario that will teach your student what to do when faced by three to four attackers punching and kicking at them. Your goal should always be your student's safety. It is not kicking everyone's butt. The quicker the student gets the hell out of there the more likely they will survive.

With that in mind, your drill would consist of having three to four people surrounding one. When you or someone yells go, the three or four will begin to swing and kick the person in the middle. The goal of the person in the middle is to get outside the circle and around the attackers. There are many ways to do that. What I teach my folks is to push or slap the punching arm of one of the attackers inward to create a hole so they can step through and get behind the attacker. Then push that person into another and run. They will take several shots while they get out of the circle but that is what's going to happen in the street. Get them used to taking shots but thinking and reacting. Put pads on everyone to include head gear, boxing gloves on the attackers, open-finger mma gloves on the defender--so they can use their open palm to parry, shin guards on everyone and get them to go full speed. 

They will have a lot of fun--once it's over. Create a scenario or drill for your top five and have fun actually practicing what you know your people need. Remember, self defense is not sparring at a karate tournament, it's defending yourself against the real life attacks you may face in the street. Most important though, you must have a goal and the goal needs to be realistic. What do you want your student to really do in that situation!

As far as hitting this spot or that spot during a real life street attack, I think you have to take into consideration all that is really going on and how hard it is to just fight back. Yes, practice where you know you need to hit but once everything happens for real most of that goes out the window. A good example is law enforcement shootings. We practice shooting center mass over and over but we usually shoot the house behind the guy, the tree next to them.....Stress changes everything!

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 06:38:06 AM »
i can not agree more with both your points,i think the makiwara is great i have one at home and hit it a lot, but the training hall i rent will not let me put one up.so my students don't get to do it.i will try to get them to get makiwara's so they can hit it on thear own time.we do have gangs,last year a man was kicked to death by a gang of teens from the local boxing club,so we started doing a lot of gang attack training, which was hard but fun,we have not done it in the last six months,but i think i will start again now,thanks for the tips keep them comeing
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 07:02:02 AM by dom28 »

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »
Might be a hard one to do all of the time.  But the buddy system is huge.  Try not to be alone in dangerous situations. 
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline dom28

• White Belt
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
that is a good one.i often go out with my little brother,i say little but dose a six foot tall muay thai instrutor count?