Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
knife defence

Author Topic: knife defence  (Read 5629 times)

Offline dom28

• White Belt
  • BLACK BELT SECOND DAN KENPO KARATE
knife defence
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:52 AM »
hi at my kenpo club we train to grab the wepon hand then kick to the groin or shins and headbut and or bite them then try to turn the blade back on them what do you do
DOMINIC DILLON INSTRUCTOR AT THE NORWICH KENPO SELF-DEFENCE CLUB

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
Re: knife defence
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Technique training is supposed to impart a number of byproducts - one being that  principles are internalized. One of the keys to knife defense is to neutralize and control and attack the limb that is wielding the knife. This may include other simultaneous attacks to viable targets that result in loss of various limb functions, eye function, air intake, etc...

The obvious defense is to move yourself out of knife range to begin with which may even equate to leaving the contact area all together - or when contact is imminent or already in progress to simply secure an available object which can serve as a cushion and/or weapon which will allow a defender to shield himself against the blade and simultaneously create openings for attacks on viable targets, etc.....

One dilemna with teaching and learning knife defense is that an effective street fighter who employs and deploys knives will do so without the defender ever knowing it was deployed. The knife attack is a complete suprise. Many who have been attacked and wounded with knives comment that they thought the attacker was punching them or never even saw it coming and later realized they had been stabbed. These folks were certainly fortunate to live to learn but many are not so fortunate.

I teach my students to assume that during any altercation an opponent(s) is carrying concealed weapons to include edged ones. A respect for distance must be developed as well as a respect for tying up with an attacker - not to respect these two factors can be deadly. Integrating training methods that impart this kind of respect is crucial to teaching realistic and effective knife defenses.

Strike fast - strike hard - strike repeatedly - get the heck out of the area and live to fight another day.

Keep it simple and keep it effective! It's not Rocket Science.

Pat
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:14:40 AM by Patrick61 »
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:53:20 PM »
I was told that the best defense against a knife is "Don't be there when the knife comes out."
Barring that, distance is the next best defence.  Put something between you and the knife. A table, a chair, a door.
Beyond that, control, control, control. Control of the weapon, control of the limb.
Control the limb
Disable the limb
Remove the weapon
Remove yourself.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 03:33:22 PM »
The 1st line of defense should always be to not engage if not necessary.  In any Kajukenbo Technique the underlying concept is to off-center yourself while off-balancing your opponent/attacker.  A shin kick, a headbutt, or turning the knife back into/onto the attacker all depends on what he gives you as far as resistance (pulling away or following through), type of attack (slashing, thrusting or just holding it in a threatening manner).  The more multidimensional you can be with your defense or "counter attack" as it would be in Kajukenbo the better. 
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »
Going under the premise that an attacker always has a weapon and that there could be multiple attackers has helped me in training.

Recently I've been working a lot with Muay Thai clinching drills with the opponent having a knife as a training prop/aid. It doesn't take much of this type of work to realize even something like clinching is 90% atemi/striking to unbalance and stun.

Being a smaller guy (Bruce Lee sized), and even with cross-training in BJJ, I don't envy any situation where I'm trying to wrestle a knife from a 300-lbs training partner. So I'm simply finding that it works best for me to evade the knife, check ("cut") the knife arm to the side or into the opponent, and with the other hand hammer fist them in the eye. Strike the arm or groin, etc.  Only after the opponent is stunned and/or unbalanced would I even attempt to disarm or grabbing of the weapon arm, if I even get that far.

But that is just what I'm finding. I've had bigger and stronger people able to grab my arm and neutralize it so I could not cut my way out when I had the knife... so to each his own. Whatever works for you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 04:23:44 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2010, 10:49:26 AM »
I'm not sure under what circumstances I would bite anyone.  Also, it's been my personal experience that on a street level the attacker with a weapon will neglect to use other strikes, believing the weapon is EVERYTHING he/she needs.  Yes, don't engage if you can escape (that goes for any confrontation, armed or not).  If running away is not an option then arm yourself if possible.  Control the weapon, destroy the attacker, recover the weapon, check your six.  Yup, all of that is much easier said than done, but when there is no other choice, there is no other choice.....fight.  That's why we train Kajukenbo, the way we train Kajukenbo.  Hard, realistic training, with plenty of contact. 
Greg
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty