Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Self Defense - Constructive Critism

Author Topic: Self Defense - Constructive Critism  (Read 2559 times)

Offline Tony49

• Blue Belt
    • White Tiger Martial Arts Academy
Self Defense - Constructive Critism
« on: April 29, 2010, 03:10:26 AM »
Hi everyone,  I have never had a chance to compete in the Self Defense portion of a tournament so I entered a recent local tournament.  I was wondering if any one could give me some pointers on what judges are looking for and tips to help me compete at a higher level.  I would love one day to be able to compete at the annual KSDI tournament.  Thank You for your help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RXbf90KsrU
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 03:13:02 AM by Tony49 »
Antonio Lucero

Diony/Cacoy Canete > Alfredo Bandalan Sr.
Bandalan Doce Pares > Black Belt

Emperado > Tiwanak > Brown > Alfredo Bandalan Sr.
Bandalan Hawaiian Kenpo > Black Belt

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
Re: Self Defense - Constructive Critism
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
Greetings,

If the self defense division is something that you really want to exceed at then I suggest you try to get together with the Kajukenbo practicioners who have been the best in this area over the years.  Off the top of my head that would be Senior Professor Joe Bautista (KSDI Vallejo), Sigung Jeff Macalolooy (Dragons Den), and Grandmaster Dan Baker. There are others and perhaps folks can post more names. Send them a personal message on the cafe and see if they have some time to work with you. What do you have to lose?

As far as techniques, I like techniques that work on the street, look vicious, and make people go darn or even laugh. The first technique looked like it would work on the street and had some good strikes in it, but it didn't pump me up. It was pretty basic. As a judge I would not have felt like the guy was getting the beat down he deserved for attacking you.

The second technique was OK, but the club was on the floor behind you. Whenever there is a weapon, control the weapon. If that was a gun would you leave it on the floor behind you?

On the third technique, it seemed to me that you should have taken the club from the first attacker. If a guy swung a club like that at me on the street, I would take it from him and then use it to beat the H....out of the other guy. If you don't want to use the club during the technique then blast the guy's arm when he swings so the club goes flying away and then kick him. Having the attacker walk over and set the club down didn't look right.

Again, ask the guys who routinely win and see if they can help you out if this is something you really want to be good at.

Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Tony49

• Blue Belt
    • White Tiger Martial Arts Academy
Re: Self Defense - Constructive Critism
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »
Thanks GM Powell, that was very helpful.  I tend to shy away from using the stick because I use it so much that I want to show my Kenpo abilities.  However, I have heard various posters comment about picking the stick up after disarming him on other post on this forum.  I have some ideas for the next one and will definitely incorporate the stick during the defense part.  Once again thank you.
Antonio Lucero

Diony/Cacoy Canete > Alfredo Bandalan Sr.
Bandalan Doce Pares > Black Belt

Emperado > Tiwanak > Brown > Alfredo Bandalan Sr.
Bandalan Hawaiian Kenpo > Black Belt