Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Wun Hop Kuen Do Continuous Education Program

Author Topic: Wun Hop Kuen Do Continuous Education Program  (Read 4999 times)

Offline MARK GERRY

• Global Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • WORLD MARTIAL ARTS MASTERS
Wun Hop Kuen Do Continuous Education Program
« on: November 15, 2003, 11:48:10 PM »

This letter is in regards to my recent participation in the Wun Hop Kuen Do Continuous Education Program in Oahu, Hawaiíi, which was from 10/16/03 through 10/22/03.  Let me begin by saying that it was both an honor and privilege to meet and train with Sifu Al Dacascos.  For those of us that have met him, he is a very sincere and humble Professor who has opened up not only his heart, but also his home.  Sifu Al is truly an inspiration to us all.  As we all know, Sifu Al is a true pioneer in the martial arts community and his extensive martial arts background and knowledge needs no introduction.  I have personally been involved in the martial arts, for the past seventeen years.  The last 10 yrs of which, have been in Kajukenbo Kenpo.  Despite my background, I can honestly say that 90 to 95 percent of the material introduced to us by Sifu Al, I had never seen or trained in before.  We got hands on training in trapping hands, six count, buzz saw, doce pares, punch counters, kick counters, sparring drills and to many other things to mention.  We were also taught a form, but not only was the form taught, Sifu Al also demonstrated how the form applies in actual combat, every kick, block and punch has a purpose.  In the past I have only been taught the form, mechanically, not the actual application and how it relates to using the form on a person.  I have participated in several seminars in the past, but none of them had the Ohana atmosphere, as did Sifu Alís Continuous Education Program.  I must admit that some of the exercises were very hard and difficult at times, and I wasnít as graceful or fluid as I had hoped to be.  I want to thank Sifu Al and his students for their time and patience in teaching us Wun Hop Kuen Do basics.  The workouts consisted of training in the morning and in the evening.  I also had the opportunity to learn actual facts about the History of Kajukenbo, from the people that were actually there when it all got started.  Sifu also found time to serve as our guide and showed us the wonderful and beautiful things Oahu has to offer.  During the weeklong training, I also had the opportunity to go to a black belt testing by four of Sifuís students.  Kudos to Jay, Christa, York and Joe, you tested with courage, spirit and discipline.  I must say that their distinguished testing board was not easy on them.  Their hard training however, allowed them to achieve their goal.  There is no doubt in my mind and Iím sure no doubt in anybody elseís mind that witnessed the testing, that the four of you earned your black belts that day.  Congratulations again!  I not only walked away with a more open mind about training, but with a new Ohana, but I canít end this letter without mentioning that fact that both Sifu Al and Simu Julia, made us all feel like we were a part of their Ohana.  Kudos to Simu, for the wonderful cooking and attention you gave us during our short stay.  In closing, I highly recommend for anybody that wants to come out and train with Sifu Al, be it in an upcoming seminar or continuous education program, to jump at the chance, it will be worth your trip.  Iím already making plans to come out and train with Sifu Al again.  

Mahalo,

Si-Bak Romulo Rosales, Jr.
                                                                                                                    KSDI, Del Rio, TX
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do

Rodriguez

Re:Wun Hop Kuen Do Continuous Education Program
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2004, 04:15:36 PM »
They are going to do it this year again ??? :-\

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2004, 04:49:45 PM »
Yes, my understanding is that there will be another training session this year.  It is planned for sometime in September, in Portland but the details aren't totally worked out.  I will try and let everyone know when it is solid.
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Rodriguez

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 05:13:51 PM »
OK, THANKS  8)

Rodriguez

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 05:12:35 PM »
ANY NEWS FROM THE WHKD CONTINUOS EDUCATION PROGRAM? ???

I WANT TO KNOW IS THERE's  A HOME STUDY PROGRAM? OR SOME KIND OF SPECIAL PROGRAM; CAUSE THERE's NO WHKD SCHOOL IN MY COUNTRY.

THANKS

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 12:48:01 PM »
Sorry, I haven't heard more about the program this year, but I will let you know when I do.

As far as I know, there is no home study program.  You have to find yourself an instructor and go visit.  There are certainly schools/instructors near many places throughout the world.  Where are you located?

If you are not near anyone and don't want to travel to an instructor, you can always take a look at the tapes that Sifu Dacascos made (4 of them).  The tapes are available from Unique Publications Video (1-800-332-3330).

Good luck with your search. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:49:27 PM by cirillo »
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Rodriguez

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 10:43:12 AM »
Hi, I'm from Puerto Rico. I talk to Sifu Saltares and he told me that he is retire from Martial Arts about two years ago. He told me his son have a small group in the comunity area thay lived a year ago, but I went to the school, David assitant told me that he left the school.

I talk to Sifu Dacasco last year by email and he told me that there's no official WHKD School in the island.

I have Sifu Al 4 videos and a seminar that he and Sifu Owens attend in 1998 here in PR.  They are good but I'm looking for more material (any seminar or camp videos for sale?)or some instructor in the island. I heard about another WHKD instructor, I think his last name is Castro but I think he is active in the army at this time.

I know a couple Kajukenbo instructors (Original and Advance Method) and I want to train with them. But I'm also intresting in training WHKD and Kajukenbo Chun'Fa branch.

Any help I will apreciated.   ;)

P.S. Sorry,  I know my english is not too good  :P

Take Care!!!
 8)

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004, 01:04:17 PM »
It doesn't sound like there is an official instructor in WHKD in PR.  Sorry, but I will continue looking for someone.  The Saltares family was involved in Ch'uan Fa for some time and may be able to help you further, if you can get them to train you.  Despite not being active in a school, they have a great deal of knowledge that you can obtain by taking one of them as a teacher.  Just my suggestion and I don't know whether they wish to continue teaching at all either.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
College Station, TX

Rodriguez

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2004, 10:12:11 PM »
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. IF YOU KNOW SOMETHING NEW, PLEASE LET ME KNOW.  I WILL SEE WHAT I CAN DO. I GUESS I WILL STAR WITH THE ORTEGA's "ADVANCE METHOD", THE EMPERADO METHOD.

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS YOU.

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 08:58:50 AM »
O.K.  here is what I know at this point regarding the upcoming WHKD continuing education program this year.  It looks like it is planned from September 20-24, just prior to "The Gathering" on the 25 and 26th of September in Portland, Oregon.  The gathering is going to be a meeting of a large number of martial arts masters from Chinese, Hawaiian, Indonesian, Japanese, Korean, Okinawan and Philipino backgrounds.   If you want more information on the gathering, contact Marc Burnham (503)722-4021.

For further information on the coninuous education program, stay tuned.  Sifu Dacascos is supposed to be getting back to us on the full details in a few months.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2004, 09:00:14 AM by cirillo »
College Station, TX