Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Dojo vs. Fitness Center

Author Topic: Dojo vs. Fitness Center  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Dojo vs. Fitness Center
« on: November 05, 2009, 09:49:37 AM »
Aloha:

I'd like to know, particularly from a woman's perspective ...

if you were interested in women's self-defense and you had no previous martial arts training, would you be more inclined to go to look into a martial arts school or would you prefer a women's fitness club?

Feel free to give as much opinion as you like.

Thanks so much.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Becky Gagnier

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Pacific Wind Kajukenbo
Re: Dojo vs. Fitness Center
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 01:25:52 PM »
Sihing-

So with my background and experience (B.A. degree in Exercise Science, working in the gym/fitness industry for 14 years as a trainer etc. and a Kajukenbo instructor for about 9 years) here are my thoughts:

It partially depends on your demographics and the women you are trying to reach.  If you are trying to reach the biggest variety of women (overweight, de-conditioned, or general moms, daughters, college females) not just the fit gym type, then I think a Martial arts school is an inviting place and neutral for all.  Gyms can be very intimidating for some and women often feel self conscious in that setting.  They feel "judged" as soon as they walk in the door.  A martial arts school has the reputation sometimes for being rough and tough (as it should be, real) unwelcoming and scary for some too though.  But it has a pretty good representation of what to expect and what a person is there for.

With that being said...

If you are talking about an ongoing women's self defense class, an instructor will probably have the best turn out for longer and more successful from a gym.  If it is a monthly type seminar or an occassional thing, I would strongly recommend a dojo.

I have been approached by 2 local gyms here that want me to teach classes there for women's self defense but they can't seem to get it together.  I provided a class description, interest list sign-ups etc. and with all the other classes they offer and programs going on, along with the dramatics of the environment it is taking them FOREVER.  So I have not been pushing the matter. 

This is my humble opinion and I hope it helps.  Best of luck to you Sihing. 

Sifu Becky Gagnier

Chief Instructor
4th Degree Black Belt
Chuan Fa
Sifu Becky Gagnier

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
Re: Dojo vs. Fitness Center
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 03:40:14 PM »
Good ideas.  Thanks Sifu Becky.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker