Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sergeant of arms

Author Topic: Sergeant of arms  (Read 4075 times)

Offline GM Bobby Rimando

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
Sergeant of arms
« on: September 17, 2009, 12:28:58 AM »
I know the answer to part of this question. I can only speculate that this title stems from our military roots. So where did this title come from? Who was Sijo's first sergeant of arms? Why did he implement this? And what was the sergeant of arms function in & out of the do-jo?
Just curious to know if there are many schools that still carry on this part of our tradition.
                                      With respect, Sigung Bobby
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 04:31:53 PM by Sigung Bobby Rimando »
Kalihi Kajukenbo Branch 1957
GM Al Rimando
Prof, John Rimando
GM Bobby Rimando
A/J Double Dragon Kajukenbo San Jose CA
Rimando martial arts Las Vegas NV. (KSDI #681)

Patience is the key to wisdom. Discipline the key to Respect. You can't give what you dont have.

Offline GM ALAN M. REYES

• SGMReyes
  • Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
Re: Sergeant of arms
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
Sigung Bobby
The Sergeant of Arms was used at the Palama School, The "student" was to answer the "door" to anyone who comes to the school, basically the teaching (Emperado Method) was a "closed door system" and a possible student had to be introduced to the school by someone already training. So if you didn't "know" anyone within the school, you were out of luck. As who was the "first" that would be a hard one, because the duties of the Sergeant of Arms fell on the person who was "second" in the training lineup. So with every changing day, there was a possibility of the duties falling on another student who was in the "second" position. Another duty of the SOA was to watch the door in a "set" position or defensive posture when saying the "Oath of Allegiance" or what we call the "Kajukenbo Prayer". The belief was, that the school bowed their heads in the saying of the Oath, for this was the "ONLY" time where the Kajukenbo student was dropping their guard. So in essence it was the Sergeant of Arms responsibility to "oversee" the safety of the students at that time, the other Blackbelts also were looking in a 45deg. angle when saying the oath also "overseeing" that safety, and to make sure that everyone was giving homage in the saying of the oath.As for carrying on the tradition of the SOA, some schools do it and some don't. It would be a good tradition to bring back, if the KAJ school was'nt already doing it. And the SOA did follow military protocol, at it's inception.
Hope this helps, with all due respect
GM Reyes
SGM Alan M. Reyes
SrGrandMaster KSDI(2014)
GrandMaster KSDI(1999)
9th DegreeRed/SilverBelt KSDI(1986)
60Yrs.ContinuousTraining KSDI/ReyesKenpoKarate(2014)
FirstGenerationStudent/Successor-GGM Aleju C. Reyes-RKK CA(1959)
FirstGenerationStudent-GGM Sijo Adriano D. Emperado-Palama Settlement Hi(1954)

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 06:55:29 PM »
Thats very interesting....In another organization, of which I am a member, I was elected to Sergent of Arms....I thought it would be similiar to what GM Reyes was describing, but it was the total opposite!  My duty was to protect those who were being initiated from the members.....I guess the joke was on me....It was quite a challenge.
Scott Goldstein
Kajukenbo Black Belt - 1st Degree
Under Sifu Victor Ballesteros & Sifu Virgilio de Carvalho
Frontyard Fighting Arts - Nyack, NY

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline Patrick Campbell

• Sifu
  • BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Train the way you fight!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 07:36:54 PM »
Thanks GM Reyes for the history lesson and the answer to a very interesting question. 

Pat
Patrick "Kaponookalani" Campbell, Ph.D.
KAJUKENBO - Professor Kai Li - ETS / HKA
Kenpo - SGM Rick Alemany 
DZR Jujitsu - ETS / AJI
BJJ - ETS / USFBJJ / Master Joe Moreira
Combat Sambo - ETS / GCA / GM Alan New 
JKD / Kun Tao - ETS / IMB / G. Savelli
Royal Hawaiian Lua - ETS PA / Olohe Eli

Offline iron mongoose

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
thank you GM Reyes  Your knowledge is awesome!  This was a great post!!
tom martin
Arts: sho shu  white dragon 
Kajukenbo : Black Belt under Grandmaster Harper

that which does not kill you  ..only makes you stronger