Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hello Brothers !

Author Topic: Hello Brothers !  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Kentucky

• White Belt
Hello Brothers !
« on: August 08, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
I am new to this site. I study Kenpo in the Southeastern Kenpo Karate association. The head of our association is Robert Myers, who studied under Marino Tiwanak in the mid sixties. It is an honor to hear the histories and stories of all who have gone before.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 03:19:57 PM by Kentucky »
Barry Finley

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
Re: Hello Brothers !
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:33:45 PM »
ATTENTION NEW AND OLD MEMBERS:  If your member name is a "nick name", WE REQUIRE that you please put your true name and affiliation in the "signature" section of your profile, so it appears at the bottom of your posts. 
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:26:19 AM »
There are a lot more true stories to tell of the growth of Kajukenbo.
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

handsofstone23

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 12:28:58 PM »
i would love to interview any grandmaster who would like to tellabout their training and expericenes in this magnificant art. documenting such tales would benifit the future of the art for generations to come. its becoming more and more apparent that we are losing our beloved grandmasters, and some in this art will never know their stories, or hear their words   of wisdom. all who are interested please feel free to contact me. let our art and its masters not be lost to time.

Offline GEORGE LIM

• Senior Black Belt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Lim Kenpo Karate LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 01:14:41 PM »
Mr. Ruben Illa,
Professor Marino Tiwanak, the Founder of the CHA-3 Kenpo Brotherhood club (now run by his son Professor Michael Tiwanak) has one of the strongest & loyal associations in Kenpo & in martial arts. They are a very close knit, tight & generally exclude themselves from outsiders. To be a student, let alone, a black belt instructor, you have to start at the beginning as a white belt. No exceptions. There has never been, outside of the CHA-3 black belt join them as a black belt. Professor Marino has never promoted outside of his association. Not many can say that today.

The training method back then was in a horse stance doing basics, you kept your mouth shut, never looked around. If you made a mistake, you were corrected by getting yelled at and hit by the Man. Professor Marino taught you how to take pain first before you were able to give it. You never looked around because you were afraid that He would see you & hit you. All you heard were the kiai's doing basics and the snap thud sound of his knuckles hitting a piece of brick as he walked the line.

I trained with the CHA-3 from 1972 - 1987. Received my black belt from Professor Marino Tiwanak in 1982.
I no longer am with the CHA-3 but remember training as if it was yesterday. I still honor Professor Marino and uphold many of his traditions to this day.

The late (never forgotten) Grandmaster Allen Abad in his early Kenpo days trained with the CHA-3 also was taught his basics from Chief Larry Kawaauhau & Chief Marce Totor.

Remember Ruben to represent the teachings of Sigungs' Kailani & Aiau from Brother Abe Kamahoahao.

Respectfully,
George Lim
George Lim
LIM Karate LFMA Lim Family Martial Arts
Grandmaster. Hawaii Kenpo, Kajukenbo

handsofstone23

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:11:30 PM »
Thank you very much for your response Professor!!! I wish i could have expericened that training, but your stories help me grasp an idea of it. hope to visit AZ some day soon. Mahalo