Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
How do you jiu-jitsu?

Author Topic: How do you jiu-jitsu?  (Read 29261 times)

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • That little extra in ordinary = extraordinary
Re: How do you jiu-jitsu?
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »
Many things happen when on the ground, the ground attacks which has transpired to ground and pound is the overkill. True that when you train in the gym you think of not hurting your partner to badly that he is not able to work the next day. The effectiveness is to learn from someone who is great and fluid. Attack, counter, and protect!
We have transition from covering on the ground to trapping the leg and turning into a leg lock, switch to side mount, side control, front mount, pounding, arm bars, etc.
Aside from learning the ground game, we at Mateo Kajukenbo Home of the Ali'i Warriors Fight Club, train for Muay Thai stand up fighting. It's a great way from Kajukenbo self defense (add in pressure point strikes), ground attacks (ground & pound), counter the ground and pound, the Muay Thai attacks & counter fighting, boxing, pretty cool stuff.
It seems like Kajukenbo to me. Professor Bono comments and knowledge in jujitsu combine with other arts....we should have more people in MMA. I know California has more fighters but Washington is getting there. check out www.nwfightscene.com
We are holding another event strictly Muay Thai fights on August 28, 2010 in Lake City Community Center www.mateokajukenbo.com
K-Den
VFM
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:38:26 AM by V. F. Mateo »
V. Frank Mateo-8th degree; GM Gerry Scott
CHA 3 Kenpo Karate; retired Co-Founder Frank Suan
5th Degree KAA; GGM Charles Gaylord-Professor Brian Yoshii & Professor Brian Baxter
Ali'i Warriors Fight Club-Muay Thai (Promoter, Match Maker, Trainer, and Coach)

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »
The trick is to combine what is useful and retain the art...many let it fade.  The street is the street the ring/cage is a sport.  They have crossover, but they also are their own entity.
Every year I teach a seminar in Vegas at the Kaju event. Many years students have been relative beginners to the ground game.

This year was different, but not because the skill level was higher to start though as you would think.  It was the open mindedness of the students. 

Prof Joe gave me 3rd Black and above.  I asked if they had experience, but they had very little.  When I started to teach I was amazed at how quickly they were picking things up and how motivated they were.

The group was eating the knowledge up.  We moved quickly running through move after move.  I could have taught all day to students like that.  I have to thanks my brother Professor Joe Bautista for giving me a group like that.

To see the love of the art is a wonderful thing and the group understood the ground has to have strikes to make it real....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline KajuKel

• Yellow Belt
  • You get out of it what you put into it.
    • Delta Kajukenbo
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2010, 01:10:04 AM »
Professor Bono - I hope to pick up some of what you taught in Vegas at the next KAA workout - always a good time!

With much respect,

Kellen
Kellen Houk
Under GM Frank Wohler
Delta Kajukenbo - Gaylord's Method
Tracy, CA
www.deltakajukenbo.com
www.facebook.com/deltakajukenbo

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2010, 01:43:12 PM »
You got it Brother
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
We will be adding a take-down variation to all techniques.  And after each take-down, we will have the attacker trip or otherwise get the defender down to the ground.  We will then use GJJ techniques to control and submit the attacker without a lot of excess rolling.  Then back to our feet.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 10:53:17 AM by backfist »
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Greg Hoyt

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 01:32:04 PM »
Yup, that's how.  I believe it is very dangerous to stay on the ground more than a few seconds.  Hard to survive fighting more than one guy at a time one the ground. 
Sifu Greg Hoyt
Hoyt's Kajukenbo, Peoria, Arizona
Under Sigung Trent Sera, Professor Kailani Koa
Train Hard - Fight Dirty

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »
Since Kajukenbo is a foundation based on the integration of many martial arts, I feel that any specific Jiu-jitsu training needs to include good fundamentals. Either by cross-training or by bringing that training in house.

For example, last weekend I had the honor of presenting some at the NW Kajukenbo Family Seminar IV. At the end of each segment there was a little time that I could just take something before to a logical progression. Since Sifu Jackson had gone over some great stuff, one part which talked about the RNC (rear naked choke), and some of the participants didn't know what that was, I took the opportunity to expand on the RNC at the end of one of my presentations. Well I gave some basic instructions and lots of precautionary warnings to tap early and why, then let them work on it.

I was watching for what people were doing and if they were confused or not. It turned out only one of the participants I saw was correctly using the first few inches of the edge of the radius bone (near the wrist) on the artery as part of the technique. This is one of the fundamentals that needed to be reminded to the participants.

That was about how jiu-jitsu works for me in a Kaju environment. Let them do it, then identify fundamentals that are missing and work the students on those fundamentals. Don't let them get away with sloppiness because they don't know any better (or they did know and they forgot).

Other than that, just the principles, such as never takedown an enemy unless they are stunned or unbalanced first. Stunning and unbalancing is usually done through striking. In fact, I believe striking is 90% of Kajukenbo as in atemi used to stun, unbalance, break, or knock out.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 02:46:23 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 03:04:34 PM »
radial bone for rear naked choke?..rear naked should include both carotid arteries...or are you talking about a different technique
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2010, 04:07:38 PM »
radial bone for rear naked choke?..rear naked should include both carotid arteries...or are you talking about a different technique

Yes Professor Bono, I am talking about the RNC, mata leon. The other artery is cut off by your bicep. This can happen right away but in training it is, (1) strike to stun (a good hit to stun them), (2) radius to one side artery, (3) strike head down (to break posture) and get lock in, (4) bring them back (to take their balance away), (5) bring them up (lift them up by their head and bring your elbows together) to finish. When the elbows are brought together, both arteries are choked.

Usually we get tap outs on #3 because you get an instant effect from the radius bone (a few inches below the wrist on the artery on one side), but the full technique through #5 is the clincher.

If you prefer another way for mata leon, I respect that. But radius to artery is a fundamental for me in how I learned it. It is an instant reaction out of the opponent.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
The wrist would be at the back of the opponents neck the arteries are in front of the sternocleidomastoids...the contact of the arm to neck would be the base of the bicep at the tendon and the proximal forearm....
http://www.bonosjkd-kaju.com/Articles/anatomyofchoke.html
GM John E Bono DC

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »
GM John E Bono DC

Offline xGUMOx

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
    • SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
ON A REAR NAKED THE ARTERIES ARE CUT OFF BY THE MID TO UPPER FOREARM AND THE LOWER TO MID BICEP...
IVE NEVER SEEN IT USED WITH THE RADIAL BONE???
SIFU BILLY GUMATAOTAO-5TH DEGREE BLACK BELT
GUMATAOTAO KAJUKENBO/SAVAGE BREED MMA
BAUTISTA & GUMATAOTAO LINEAGE
SAVAGEBREEDKAJUKENBO.WEBS.COM

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2010, 05:07:02 PM »
ON A REAR NAKED THE ARTERIES ARE CUT OFF BY THE MID TO UPPER FOREARM AND THE LOWER TO MID BICEP...
IVE NEVER SEEN IT USED WITH THE RADIAL BONE???

Mid to upper forearm is the RADIUS bone.

Edit: the forearm bone that is on the thumb side is the radius bone. If I put "radial bone" anywhere, that's my mistake.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 05:25:39 PM by Wado »
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2010, 05:09:11 PM »
The wrist would be at the back of the opponents neck the arteries are in front of the sternocleidomastoids...the contact of the arm to neck would be the base of the bicep at the tendon and the proximal forearm....
http://www.bonosjkd-kaju.com/Articles/anatomyofchoke.html

Great stuff Professor Bono. I have seen that way for RNC also.

Unfortunately, the way I was taught was different. The wrist is not at the back of the opponent's neck, but more around the side of the neck, underneath the jaw line. The key for this to work is the squeezing of the elbows together while lifting the opponent by the head. The bone of the radius is on one of the arteries.

I was shown this independently from Professor Johnson (BJJ instructor I have crossed trained under and winner of Grappler's Quest two years in a row in Vegas), Professor Brain Baxter, and Professor Jay Burkey. If I misunderstood what they showed me, then my bad... but anyways, that's where I'm coming from.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2010, 08:38:49 PM »
the back of the hand might get there if you are grappling a skinny necked person....thick necks will limit the wrap...i have been teaching the rear naked for a very long time asked around I would guess there are some that have been on the front side of it ;D
GM John E Bono DC