Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
My first tournament - On Video.

Author Topic: My first tournament - On Video.  (Read 6500 times)

Offline Michael Groner

• White Belt
    • Hart's Martial Arts Center
My first tournament - On Video.
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:27:07 PM »
OK, well, yesterday I had my very first tournament. I first started training 6 months ago brand new to this and all arts - a true "newbie" at 38 years old. It was the Tino Paz Kajukenbo Martial Arts tournament in Caldwell, Idaho. I am a purple sash and competed in the white-yellow belt division, and I was talked into competing in the Men's Open White - Black division as well. I ended up being the only non- black belt in that division.

I was lucky to have 5 of my fights recorded by my video camera, and I've posted them on you tube. I'm the fighter in blue and I LOST every fight. ;-(

I'd appreciate pointers if you guys have any. I think I could have fought better. It's obvious that I need work keeping my hands up, and although I trained to NOT drop my hands when I kick, for some reason I left that little bit of training at home. The first 3 fights are against yellow belts, and the last 2 are against black belts. I actually think I fought better against the black belts, as they are more disciplined fighters. The yellow belts were a little chaotic.

Anyway, if you're bored and have nothing better to do, please feel free to watch the videos and give me any pointers:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=76D360A75DF1BBEF

I'm very excited to get back into training and work on becoming a better competitor, and can't wait to be a blue sash (August!).

Mike
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:29:15 PM by Michael Groner »
Michael Groner - Blue-Green Sash, Northern Kajukenbo Tum Pai Gung Fu
Under Si-Gung Greg Hart, Hart's Martial Arts Center, Boise, Idaho
Under Professor Doug Bailey

Offline Resik

• White Belt
Re: My first tournament - On Video.
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 10:31:43 AM »
I thought you looked better against the black belts too.  I'm about the same rank as you and you looked to do well to me, but I'm no sparring expert.  I think you may have done better later on due to the fact that you had fought a few times.  Keep working hard and the experience from this tournament will only help next time.  Thanks for sharing the videos.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo

Offline kfarny

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »
Michael,

Not too bad sir. I thought you did ok for your first time. My first time out I got a broken rib from a hard style karate guy who showed no control.
Here are a few things to know: (In my most humble opinion)

Listen to your coach. When they call time and bring you over to the side, listen to what they say. You may think you are doing what they are saying, but you are not. Or they would not be telling you.

Learn to relax. Air down. Dont tense up. No shoulder hunching. Relax.

Learn to CIRCLE. This is one of the fundamentals. Tum Pai is all about centerline. Search for his centerline while hiding yours.

Learn to circle in BOTH directions. Dont be predictable.

Learn to use the judges to your advantage. In a three judge ring, only two need to agree. You must get your punches/kicks seen by two. Again, learn to circle so that the center judge can see your techniques. A lot of your techniques were good, and may have been able to get you a point, however you had the center judge on your backside.

Learn to GO. Don't spend all day bouncing around. Be decisive.

Follow through. When you punch, your technique needs to LOOK like a technique. That includes the retraction of your punch. Dont punch and then leave it out there, pull it back at the same speed you punched.

KIAI. It also needs to SOUND like a punch. You will get the benifit of the doubt a lot of the time if you LOOK and SOUND like you threw an actual technique if the other guy did neither of those.
Follow though with multiple techniques. Kick, punch, punch. Make your opponent defend multiple techniques, not just one punch.

Hone your reverse punch. Do not worry about cartwheel kicks or jumping, spinning axe kicks. Work your basics. Backfist, reverse punch. Flash comes later.

HAVE FUN! You really are only competing against yourself, no matter who is across the ring.

Good luck sir. You did well.
Kirk Farnsworth   3rd Degree,  East/West Method Tum Pai
East West Martial Arts, Master Doug Bertrand
Vancouver, Wa.

Offline steve B

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:05:05 AM »
Michael that was pretty good for a first tournament. Occasionally you have to sell your points to the judges when they cant see.. When I used to compete I'd give it a loud Kiai right before striking. Other than that think 1,2,3's when striking alot of begginners only do 1 or 1,2... ;D
Steve Bramel
Black Belt/2nd Deg.
Heart Of Texas Kajukenbo
H-Town Branch

Offline Michael Groner

• White Belt
    • Hart's Martial Arts Center
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 09:44:07 AM »
Thank you for the tips, guys, I appreciate it! Excellent pointers. One thing I need to work on is when they go at me (hard chargers) how to attack them and stop the railroading. I also am weak on moving laterally out of their way, although I did score a couple points doing that.

I do need to work on giving loud KIA's.

Can't wait to do this again! And Oh, man was I sore the next day, whoa!

Thanks again for the pointers!

Mike
Michael Groner - Blue-Green Sash, Northern Kajukenbo Tum Pai Gung Fu
Under Si-Gung Greg Hart, Hart's Martial Arts Center, Boise, Idaho
Under Professor Doug Bailey

Offline sazahko

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:34 PM »
Thank you for the tips, guys, I appreciate it! Excellent pointers. One thing I need to work on is when they go at me (hard chargers) how to attack them and stop the railroading. I also am weak on moving laterally out of their way, although I did score a couple points doing that.
I'll second this. In fact, one of the primary things I noticed while watching your videos was that when most of your opponents (even the black belts, which was kind of sad) threw a kick at you, they were telegraphing enough and swinging their kicks wide enough that you could probably squeeze in and jam if you pushed for it. If you can judge their hip angle and balance correctly, you can cut in past the line of the kick with relatively less risk and send 'em a shot to the ribs or the head or what have you. That, coupled with the earlier advice about making your hits palpable and visible, should serve you well in future tournaments. Good stuff for your first time out, though. Definitely better than my first tournament, regardless of the results. Best of luck to you in the future.

-Jason
Jason Hubbard
Soon-to-be student of Doug Bunda (hopefully)

Offline duane navarro

• White Belt
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
nice job, Ithought you did better than the others (no disrespect) definitly you should work on circling, it helps ALOT. And I would also work on not bouncing my instructor prof. powell lets just say got a little upset at me one time for bouncing around too much, he said someone will time you and lay you on the ground. I dont have the patience for point sparring so I dont know all the rules, but If you can score or get away wuth attacking the legs thats what I would do first. It will slow the other person down and he cant bounce around if his leg is all bruised up! Plus it will bring his hands down, so you can score with your punches. keep up the hard work.
Duane Navarro "Black belt" under GM Mitch Powell Original Method