Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What's goin' on in the Tum Pai world these days?

Author Topic: What's goin' on in the Tum Pai world these days?  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Michael Groner

• White Belt
    • Hart's Martial Arts Center
What's goin' on in the Tum Pai world these days?
« on: February 23, 2009, 04:09:32 PM »
Hey all.

Just wonderin' what's going on with folks in the Tum Pai world these days. I am fairly new, a purple sash and very dedicated and excited about our art. First point-sparring tournament is this weekend and I can't wait - I mostly spar with black belts and am told I should do very well. I was looking for information on point sparring but there isn't much here, and most of the stuff on the 'net is not Kaju or Tum Pai oriented.

I do a lot of research and am glad to have the Cafe here for us all to communicate with. Take care all!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 04:14:11 PM by Michael Groner »
Michael Groner - Blue-Green Sash, Northern Kajukenbo Tum Pai Gung Fu
Under Si-Gung Greg Hart, Hart's Martial Arts Center, Boise, Idaho
Under Professor Doug Bailey

Offline Jess

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Re: What's goin' on in the Tum Pai world these days?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 05:30:25 PM »
Seeing how you are in Boise I'll take a guess that you'll be going to Prof. Tino Paz's tournament.

You should have a good time there if that is the one your going to, he has a strong group and has been putting it on for many years. When I lived in Idaho it was one of the best ones in the region.

Enjoy and good luck
Sifu Lauren Jessup,

Northern Tum Pai Tai Chi Ch'uan
Under GM Jay Burkey

Offline Michael Groner

• White Belt
    • Hart's Martial Arts Center
Re: What's goin' on in the Tum Pai world these days?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »
Yes, that is correct. It was a good tournament, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I got to meet Grandmaster Tino Paz and some of his group, what a bunch of nice guys. I look forward to attending their next event.

I think I got a good taste of how these tournaments go. I actually lost every fight I was in, but think I did OK for a newbie. I think a couple fights I should have won but the judges weren't seeing things, even if the camera not only saw but heard my hits 50 feet away. Perhaps the most frustrating was one of the things I studied and practiced hard on, was to counter the tae kwon do -style kickers who like to throw spinning kicks with a shot to their groin when they throw them. I did that a few times and not a single groin shot was scored even though you could see and hear the shots land in the groin. Bah! ;-) Anyway, good times! Can't wait until my next tournament! One thing's for sure though, I need to train harder. Bring it on!

Mike
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 04:58:14 PM by Michael Groner »
Michael Groner - Blue-Green Sash, Northern Kajukenbo Tum Pai Gung Fu
Under Si-Gung Greg Hart, Hart's Martial Arts Center, Boise, Idaho
Under Professor Doug Bailey