Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Funding the Forum

Author Topic: Funding the Forum  (Read 19322 times)

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
Funding the Forum
« on: October 02, 2003, 07:53:52 AM »
I'm not exactly comfortable with this topic but the idea did not orginate with me. It was suggested by a certain 8th degree. I won't name anyone but that does narrow the list quite a bit :).

It has been suggested that I accept donations for the support and administration of the forum. First of all I will tell you that right now it does not cost an arm an a leg to run this. Hosting is $15 per month and domain registration is about $35 per year. That's what it costs me today. I do fund this personally out of my love and devotion to the Kajukenbo community.

I do have ideas and plans for expansion (all in my spare time... :-X). Some of those ideas will probably cost more. Ideally I would like to be running my own server but AllTel wants to charge me $130 a month for a static IP. I won't pay it! I know there are better ISPs offering that for $50 a month. I'll wait.

Anyway, it would be very easy for me to put up a PayPal link to accept donations. There would be no set amount. Each individual can decide what they want to do. Sigung Bishop suggested selling Shirts, caps, etc for the forum. Great idea, I'd love to do that...takes $$$ though. Donations could be used to kick that off.

This forum is and will remain FREE.

So would you be willing to donate for the support of this forum?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2003, 09:34:42 PM by TheGuardian »
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re:Funding the Forum
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 12:07:24 PM »
I see not why we can't donate to the cause. we use this site for important and valuable insight and information. Count me in. Will that 9th degree be one of the first.
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 09:36:01 PM »
Ooops. Correction. It was an 8th degree who suggested this. I was trying to promote him early. Yeah..ok Sijo Rob...ugh. Sorry.

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 10:26:18 PM »
I'll donate, and I would like to see my rank increased to at least a purple belt ;)

Just let us all know the Paypal account name
Dan Tyrrell

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 12:40:41 AM »
I agree with Bad Sifu - Since it would be inapprioperate to endeavor to buy real rank, could we at least be forum purple or blue belts if we donate?  HEE HEE.  I have a lot of hot air but not enough to post 500 things on this site! -Mell
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 03:06:20 PM »
ok. Not quite the overwhelming response I expected but in case you haven't been paying attention...

I've added the "Support Kajukenbo Cafe" button up at the top of the page. You have 2 options to help us..ok ME out.

1) you can give a one time donation of any amount. I'm not suggesting anything here, it's out of your love and devotion to the community.

or (pleeeeeeze)

2) you can make a subcription donation of ONE WHOLE DOLLAR ($1) a month.

Payment is made through PayPal and they will just charge your Credit Card accordingly.  If you choose subscription and want to cancel, just click on the same "Support Kajukenbo Cafe" button and click the cancel button.

TIA for your support!!!

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2003, 09:03:50 AM »
it's in the mail
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Pacificshore

• Yellow Belt
  • Just train!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 03:15:29 AM »
Done :)
Gene R.
Kara-Ho Kempo

Sibak Matt

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 12:28:34 AM »
I find this a worthy cause and justifiable to contribute to, if the need arises.  I think you'd find, as seen below, that those who actually participate, would do so as well.  One thing you might look into is getting the word out to schools and instructors, that this forum exists.  Perhaps also coming up with a mailer (then you WILL need to cover costs  ;) ).  Also a booth at the larger Kajukenbo events and functions, where possible, would help.  This is a resource I enjoy reading, and giving input to, in hopes of it being a real asset to our style through something I've not seen much of - namely unity.  This site could really see growth and give a serious contribution to our style through visibility and a continuation of the integrity I've seen (for the most part), and be a place where we can talk openly, or even encourage those who don't know what Kajukenbo is, to take a look/listen.

Thanks to the moderators and regular contributors who help me "see" more about our roots, stlye and OHANA  8).

Peace,
Sibak Matt Porter
Escondido (San Diego), CA
Ohana

Offline D-Man

• Blue Belt
  • It's all about the BIG PICTURE
    • SMA website
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2003, 03:36:39 AM »
TheGuardian:

Did you anticipate this kind of success when you first built this forum?

Good stuff.

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2003, 06:45:18 AM »
As to our success, I have to answer yes/no. I certainly did hope for this success but it came much more quickly than I had expected. And it is also accomplishing the other goal I had planned on that that was to contribute to the Ohana spirit of Kajukenbo. Everyone is very respectful on this forum and it is working to build a family, hopefully mending some of the old wounds that have been there from long ago.

As to advertising. Well, it's really hard to spring for money for advertising for a non-profit forum. So right now it is up to you guys to simply spread the word.

So far I have gotten 2 PayPal contributions and one check (Thanks GM Bautista).

Offline smurf

• White Belt
  • Scott Andrus, Shorei Kempo
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2003, 11:33:43 AM »
How do we go about makeing the one time donation, or even the dollar monthly?  ???
Scott
Be water my friend.

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2003, 12:13:11 PM »
As to the how, Click on the "Support Kajukenbo Cafe" link at the top fo the page. And follow the instructions. you will have to set up a PayPal account if you don't have one.

If you are not comfortable with ecommerce then contact me about sending a check.

Offline Sifu Sin Bin

• Holy Cow, I am a
  • Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • YOU SUCK, TRAIN HARDER
    • check it out
Re: Funding the Forum
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 12:28:58 AM »
BTT
Professor Rob Peladeau
8th Degree - KSDI #672
Loyal Student and lifelong friend of
Grand Master Emil Bautista
NorCal Headquarters of K.S.D.I. Ambassador

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
Re: Funding the Forum
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 10:40:05 AM »
Since the conversion to the new format, is the button still at the top?  I may be blind with just one cup of coffee and it being before 10 am, but I don't see the support button anymore.
Dan Tyrrell