Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What Information on WHKD would you like to read about here?

Author Topic: What Information on WHKD would you like to read about here?  (Read 18645 times)

Offline Prof. Ben Fajardo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
    • WHKD-Nubreed Fighting Systems
What Information on WHKD would you like to read about here?
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:13:25 PM »
Greeting members,
I am proud to share information with Kajukenbo practitioners about a branch that not many know to much about? Here is a great place to share what people want to know about WHKD? I need idea's on what people want to read about? This is what I considure my expression of WHKD. It is not in anyway a standard of any one schools training. It is what I teach in my lessons and expressions.

History, Style, Basics, teaching, Training Drills, Techniques, Grappling/Chin na, WHKD approach in fighting, Basic Tactics,
Basic Strategies, Philosophies, WHKD Instructor's, other?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 02:18:37 AM by Prof. Ben Fajardo »
Professor Ben Fajardo-Kajukenbo WHKD under GM Al Dacascos.
Train the way you fight and fight the way you train..
http://www.makephpbb.com/nubreed/

Offline newoldstudent

• Yellow Belt
Re: What Information on WHKD would you like to read about here?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 12:37:22 AM »
To start with, it would be interesting to know the chain of command, esp. the top 3 in that branch of Kajukenbo.

Going another step, who are the top 3 of each branch of Kajukenbo?
Don Gross
Twin Rivers Kajukenbo, Edwardsville, IL
Under Sigung Mike Utechtt

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 10:41:33 PM »
GM Dacascos has many top Senior Black Belts, within Kajukenbo WHKD. There is no real chain of command within the system. We have the WHKDIA that has a President, Vice President, and so forth. We also have a WHKD German Association that is run By many of the senior Black Belts. With over 3500  students. As for the other branches you would have to ask them. Thanks for the reply.

Offline Steven

• White Belt
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 04:28:57 AM »
I have a simple question: In your experience, on average, how many hours does it take for a student just beginning white belt, to advance to the very next belt? (I am not concerned about going on to the third belt or later).

I only ask for a rough minimum # of hours for those of poor health?

Thank you for your time.

Steven

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 06:38:18 PM »
I can only comment on WHKD: Tests in WHKD are scheduled every three months for White, yellow, orange, purple sash. Each sash typically requires 3 months between Belts. Blue, green, brown and black sash usually take 6-9 months for each level to be accomplisted. I do not know about the other branches. They maybe sooner or longer? Sigung Ben

Offline Steven

• White Belt
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2008, 12:50:33 PM »
Thanks for addressing my question. For the sake of arguement, is it okay to assume 2-3 hours a day for practice when addressing the monthly time frames you've given?

Thanks.

S.

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »
Sure!

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 11:50:42 AM »
WHKD BASIC BLOCKING

Note: all closed fist duplicated with open hand techniques.

1. Short closed fist inward block
  2. Medium closed fist inward block
  3. Long closed fist inward block
  4. Short closed fist outward block
  5. Medium closed fist outward block
  6. Long closed fist outward block
  7. Short closed fist upward block
  8. Medium closed fist upward block
  9. Long closed fist upward block
10. Short closed fist downward block
11. Medium closed fist downward block
12. Long closed fist downward block
13. Straight punch block
14. Open palm drawing in block
15. Drawing in elbow block
16. Elbow in block
17. Hanging elbow in  block
18. Forearm outward block
19. Outward vertical palm block
20. Straight downward open hand block
21. Upper elbow in block
22. Upper scissors block
23. Downward scissors block
24. Side scissors block
25. Outward drawing in hook block and trap
26. Inward drawing in hook block and trap
27. Double hand side block
28. Outward drawing in eagle claw block
29. Inward drawing in eagle claw block
30. Double elbow in block
31. Shin raise block
32. Shield block, triple cover block
33. Down and out elbow block
34. Open hand arc outward block
35. Spear method

By viewing  the list of Basic blocking applications you can see that Kajukenbo WHKD has a more wider approach to defensive tools being used. This approach we feel gives the practitioners many options in any angle of attack or situation. You will see that the first few basic's are mechanical and are used to teach position of the arms for point of reference and to gain control and co-ordiation of them. In general beginning students will block out of habit, without accuracy, toward the attacking limb. They perceive the attack, but by the time they react, it is to late. But with training and practice with a partner in the following blocking applications the student well gain much experience in many defensive choises.

Note: The WHKD practitioner is taught mentally, of attacking not defending what attacks them. Kajukenbo's principles of destruction of the limb, is a major principle taught in WHKD.  We teach as an example the inward block with a short, medium, and long range application. Short meaning attacking the wrist with a hammerfist, Medium, hitting into the the bicep, and long hitting into the shoulder joint which is more as a entry to a throw, because your hand is closer to the core of the body for controling/grabbing. The centerline is the root of the body.. The closer you are to it the more control you will have over it. Control being a primary factor of offensive defense which is another principle of WHKD. Once you establish the co-ordiation and flow, you are then are free to choose which defenses to accent and use to you sadisfaction. The remaining applications are used either to draw the opponent in to your offense or simultaneously defend and attack at the same time to the vitals of the body, trapping as an example Inward drawing in eagle claw block is used to trap the limb and attack simultaneously to the body or limb. As for the advanced position blocking example: Shin raise block and the spear method that is used with footwork and body movement, used more to jam the opponent in the middle of his attack and counter him. Once all of these tools are developed their application is up to the practitioner to create his defensive choises that works best for him or her. Once you begin to move down the list you can see the blend of Southern and Northern Gung fu defensive applications being introduced to the Kajukenbo WHKD practitioner. This is where the difference starts to take shape from the other branches. So, to sum everything up the WHKD practitioner practices the drills, develops the drills then forgets the drills and moves back to the natural freedom to express them self with whatever feels natural to them, but with a more wider range of tools to work with. With the development of these new tools a practitioner can attack, stop, trap and blend with whatever situation presents itself.

I hope that this has given you an idea on the way I approach defensive applications in WHKD.

Sigung Ben Fajardo
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 10:45:25 PM by NubreedMA »

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 01:06:09 PM »
WHKD BASIC STANCES

ALL OF THESE STANCES ARE LEARNED THEN PUT INTO A MOVEMENT DRILL MOVING FROM ONE STANCE TO THE NEXT.

1. TIGER STANCE

2. HORSE STANCE

3. STRIAGHT LEG GLASS HORSE

4. BENT LEG GLASS HORSE

5. MEDIUM CAT STANCE

6. LONG CAT STANCE

7. CRANE STANCE

8. TWISTED HORSE STANCE

9. SHORT CAT STANCE

10. THREE POINT STANCE

11. REVERSE GLASS HORSE STANCE

12. TOE-IN STANCE

Stance work in WHKD is one of the most important aspects of the art. Such as it should be. Without an good foundation you would not have much of a base to mount an offensive or defensive approach. The internalization of stance training is learned by imitation of the instructor and the adjustment of correct body and leg and foot positions.

In Kajukenbo WHKD the instructor will place the student in the right position and keep them there for long periods of time. This training develops disipline of mind and body, creates body feel, and helps the internalization of position.

The WHKD practitioner is taught visualization while in these positions to help elimiate the limits placed on the body. This type of training develops the physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual side of the practitioner.

Their are many stages in the development of the lower body. First is stance positioning, then moving from stance to stance,  next is the initiation of defensive/offensive movement from each stance.

Developing your stances to attack the base of your opponent within defensive counter's. The advanced application of using the stances as buckles, trips, sweeps, and pinning on the ground.

Example might be: Tiger stance to reverse glass horse stance, Opponent is in a right lead, and throws a right punch, you are in a Tiger stance and counter with an inward parry with the right and one knuckle punch to the nose, and shuffle forward in the tiger stance to buckle the lead knee outward, and grab the shoulder's of the opponent and move to a reverse glass horse, bringing the opponent over your thigh for a takedown.

One more example: using a horse stance application, You move into your opponent from the side how you do does not matter? You will place you right foot behind the opponent's lead foot and drop into a low horse stance and use your arm to push the opponent over your thigh, using the tiger stance again, you can step on their arm and drop the knee into their chest/stomach.

Stance training is one of the highest goals in WHKD. My personal stance training under Gm Dacascos, Simo Malia and Sifu Leonard Endrizzi was grueling and one of the hardest phases of my WHKD training. Simo Malia had us in very low stances for sometimes 30 min. at a time with a cup of water on each thigh. Sifu Endrizzi horse stance training for 15 mintues and if you moved out of the stance, you were hit with a bambo sword across the back and thighs. So we stayed down. This old school hard stance training is hard to find anymore in commercial schools.

WHKD Practitioners are some of the best forms practitioners out there, and the sceret is their dedication to WHKD stance training.

Sigung Ben Fajardo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 10:55:43 PM »
                                         Teaching
This is my Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do basic teaching structure. Note: this is the way I set up a class. It can and will be different in many other WHKD schools from beginning to advanced levels.

Creating a lesson plan
1. Considure objectives
2. Select new skills to teach
3. Determine the rhythm for the class
4. Create the lesson plan
a. warm-ups: using various basics as warm-ups
b. Core training:
Belt techniques and strategies, speed training, strength training, endurance training, Integration of basic mental and physical skills.
Cool down

Beginner Class
1. Objectives:
a. to improve the general level of fitness
b. to introduce basic Self defense
c. to teach two counter's to various attacks
d. Teach escape from standing grab, wrist grab, lapel grab etc.

2. Training intensity:
a. Low intensity (for beginner)

3. Curriculum
a. Stretching and conditioning
b. Stance and footwork for balance and structure
c. Basic backfist and Reverse punch
d. Defenses for backfist and reverse punch, pat and parries
e. Strategy for use of backfist and reverse punch
f. Introduction to the Front kick
g. Defenses for grab attacks using the basics
h. Introduction to foundation drill  (where to store information)
I. Belt Requirements.

4. Plan
a. Warming-up (15 min.)
b. Jumping Jacks (20 reps)
c. Joint loosening exercises
d. Upperbody stretching (3 kinds)
e. Lower body stretching (5 kinds)
f. Triangle footwork (2 kinds)
g. Push-ups (20 reps)
h. sit-ups (20 reps)
i. Sprints (5 reps)

5. Core Training
a. Teach backfist use and strategy with footwork
b. Teach defense open palm catch, pat
c. Student practice individual/with partner back and forth
d. Same for straight reverse punch
e. Teach defense for straight right cross, parry
f. Review key points; the use of basics with footwork, and key tactics
g. Teach the mechanics of the front kick (break it down into various steps)
h. How to counter the front kick, various (blocks and footwork)
i. How to follow up with a backfist and a reverse punch to the front kick
j. Teach Belt requirement: escapes for lapel grab and wrist grab with follow ups being a backfist, reverse punch, kick
   introduce beginning student to the concept of ranges for punching, kicking follow-ups
k. Review a basic defensive drill
l. Practice with partner holding mitts
m. Review self defense-key points which away to move from opponent's power for follow-up striking tactics. Develop the students power points for punching and the use of leverage principles.

Cool downs
a. Sit-ups
b. Light stretching
c. Meditation and action visualization of new skills learned

It is very important to me, for the student to use what they learn in class contructively and defensively in many different ways to understand the root applications of their use. The systems Belt requirements also should be taught while the student is still fresh. Methods of strategy and principles of fighting are all taught from Yellow to Black Belt syllabus.

Teaching someone is an integral part of WHKD. Teaching someone else a technique focuses, one to really understand the techniques. That is the main points we look for is the true understanding of what works. When you are teaching someone else remeber these basics:
1. be patient 2. Break it down 3.Check it 4. Make sure the student understands the principles of what makes it work for them. 5. Thank the person your teaching.

He or she is giving you an oppertunity to really understand and grow, Personally, I am constantly learning by teaching. Teaching and training are the two supports that make a true martial artist.

Sigung Ben Fajardo
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:58:04 PM by NubreedMA »

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 11:30:57 AM »
If you have any WHKD fight videos I'd like to see them. I got a taste from Sifu Jason's vids, and would love to see more.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:38 PM »
I do have some VHS video's of seminars and such with GM Dacascos and other Black Belt Senior members of WHKD. I am still trying to get them edited and put on dvds. It is a project that is pretty much based on finding the time to sit through many many hours of seminar information, and personal training.

Sigung Ben

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 04:05:49 PM »
I do have some VHS video's of seminars and such with GM Dacascos and other Black Belt Senior members of WHKD. I am still trying to get them edited and put on dvds. It is a project that is pretty much based on finding the time to sit through many many hours of seminar information, and personal training.

Sigung Ben

Cool beans.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 04:39:23 PM »
                    The Principle of Un-certainty in WHKD

GM Dacascos

All fighting is based on deception.
Apparent confusion is a product of good order; apparent cowardice, of courage; apparent weakness of stength. Tu Mu: the verse means that if one wishes to feign disorder to entice an enemy he must himself be well disciplined. Only then can he feign confusion. One who wishes to similate cowardice and lie in wait for his enemy must be courageous, for only then is he able to be weak in order to make his enemy arrogant. Only then can he feign weakness.

Therefore, when capable feign incapacity; when active, inactivity

Where a pattern is expected, no pattern
Where resistance is expected, non-resistance
Where aggressive is expected, passivity
Where passivity is expected, aggression
When tired, feign strength
When strong, feign tiredness
When perceptive, feign confusion
When confused, feign perception
When near, make it appear that you are far away
When far away, that you are near
When your body is in time with your opponent, break the rhythm and set his timing off.
Where leading points are expected, no leading points
When your opponent expects a move, hide it.

This is a strategy used within WHKD. This application is a pschological method of fighting using broken rhythm. The application of learning in WHKD is taught on three different levels. The mechanical,the technical, and the pschological. In order to become a skilled fighter you must go through all of the above levels of training. It is not the techniques that make you a great fighter it is the understanding and use of the underlaying principles of the techniques. GM Dacascos is teaching for those that are interested advanced seminars in WHKD, covering the principles of WHKD. If you get the chance to go to one of his seminars it will be, well worth the time and effort.

Sigung Ben Fajardo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 04:44:51 PM »
                                WHKD Grappling    

There is no set requirements for ground grappling in WHKD, at this time! It is up to the Senior Black Belt, if he so choose to development grappling concepts in his/the school requirements.... WHKD is an expression of the practitioner, and so the training in grappling comes from a mix of various style and systems that the practitioner studies and develops for himself.

I myself believe that the development must fit in with what you have already learned, and that it must flow from the base WHKD principles. Kajukenbo and WHKD is a very repetition/buss saw based art. In the street you take them down and pretty much ground and pound. WHKD Buss saw: is like it sounds you tear right thru them non-stop until they are out on the floor. GM Dacascos calls it his Offensive defense approach, the strategy is don't give them a chance to take you down, you take them out.

My personal thoughts and what I have done is to incorperate the grappling techniques or drills into the tactics already listed within WHKD's outline. If you have the outline and the experience you know that a good set up for a throw like in #1. WHKD takedown throws, may or may not lead to a grappling situation? 2. WHKD Chin na tackle defense techniques, if your timing was off you could find yourself with someone on top of you??  3. WHKD Stand up Chin na techniques, could lead to the ground or grappling can also be introduced in the WHKD Drop and recovers concepts. Where as a last effort you drop to the ground and counter with a kick and escape. 

But in any case, I think grappling concepts should work for any Throw, follow up. or Locking finish on the ground. I would like to remind my fellow WHKD practitioners when they research their grappling. We are a street fighting art not sport BJJ. WHKD develops Killer instinct and we seek to develop in our practitioners the ability to blast forward without regard to rules, when threaten we will do whatever has to be done to survive and escape with our lifes.

I believe that a begining WHKD practitioner should seek to develop first, is good defensive skills vs. takedowns, 2. be preparded to have back up if taken to the ground know the defenses for punching attacks, and submissions, develop good reversal's from bad positions and 3. have skill in escaping from all the bottom positions, and above all know all of the 4. places to grab, pinch, bite, pull hair, dig the eyes out, know where the openings for punching/elbow attacks etc. 5. WHKD Develops strong ability with close quarter knife tactics. You don't take a knife to a gun fight, and you don't grapple with a knife fighter!!!!

In WHKD I don't want to teach my student's to grapple in a street fight. I myself take great importance in escaping and getting back to an upright position. I remember reading some where Master Gracie said it himself: take a Black Belt in BJJ, and ring his bell, he is a Purple belt level, hit him again he is white belt, once more and he has lossed all of his skills. Traditional Sport Gi BJJ don't train for someone punching their lights out as they get into posture

Note:    "Kajukenbo is the art of grappling without grappling"
                              " We Knock them out!~

This is an Example: of what I am doing in my WHKD grappling, this is only my experience and I can't say anything about other WHKD practitioners..

I take throws from our redbook requirement's there are 10, and include grappling aspects to them. I know through experience that grappling can enter in the mix at any range!

2 Example's: Hip throw: I have added a step over to a cross armbar?
                 Thigh throw: I added a headlock on the ground?
    I then train the student to escape from the pins and work for a reversal to escape or ground & pound. Point to remember is: If are hands are locked up in a submission on the ground, and we are attacked by another attacker. We have no chance at defending ourselves. If we are on top of our attacker swinging and his buddy jumps in, we can at lease react back off and move.

WHKD Chin Na Tackle attempts:
Example: shoulder stop to sprawl: you should follow with elbow and knee strikes, again if you apply a neck choke or a headlock your hands are tied up and not of any use for a knife coming behind you.

WHKD Chin na stand up locking: to takedown to armbar/ a good grappler will reverse you. Know his game?

Drop and recovers into trips sweeps and reversals?

As a Black Belt practitioner you should look at your throws and develop follow ups to grappling, in any case they can take you down with them. A. Look into a more modernization set of the throws for more effective tactics for street fighting throws, Look into the double leg and single throws. Note: your throws should put your opponent on his back with you on top of him ready to pounding away. In WHKD once the opponent is on the ground are goals are, first to subdue the opponent right away. The 2nd is to get back to are feet.

My personal goals are to be experienced in bad situations and develop escapes/ reversals to more advantagest grappling positions, and counter with ground and pound, and or a reversal and back to my feet.

It is a fact that "some" or most fights end up on the ground, but they all start from a standing position!!! If you take them out before they can get to you great. But, if you don't you better have some basic training in ground grappling, or wish you did as your being choked out.

Working on sreet fighting tactics of eye pokes, bitting, pinching, etc. are great tactics but unless you have tried it, how do you know? You maybe fighting for your life and there are no rules. The grappling within WHKD should be effective and simple to learn and carry the same principles of the art we study. Kajukenbo is street fighting, it is not sport or carry any rules of engagement, and it's not on mats in a school setting.

Thus, you should try to develop training drills to enhance the flowing on the ground, develop counters to counters with street fighting tactics included, locks, submissions, chokes and breaks, most important escapes.

Regardless of the grappling discipline you are using, there are certain elements which must be present to constitute an effective technique These are:

1. You must Neutralize the attack-Defenses on the ground
2. You must Position for advantage-Reversals from bad positions
3. You must then administer some sort of Solution-Ground N Pound
4. And then you must Escape- get back to your feet   

This is my expression of training in WHKD Ground grappling. My goals are not to become a grappler! I am merely researching grappling to study it's weakness to defend against it. My art is WHKD and as a combat practitioner I must experience grappling to find the weakness to defend against it.

Sigung Ben Fajardo