Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Intensive courses in Kajukenbo?

Author Topic: Intensive courses in Kajukenbo?  (Read 9559 times)

Offline gussosa

• White Belt
    • La poesia usada como arma
Intensive courses in Kajukenbo?
« on: July 18, 2008, 11:33:52 AM »
Mods, please, move this post if you think it doesn't fit here.

I have loved everything about Kajukenbo since I first knew of it years ago, but there's no proficient teacher anywhere in my country or nearby countries. The only one is in Argentina and he learnt by videos. I want to know if there is any teacher offering intensive courses, like the old japanese uchideshi programs, where I could be an intern, train four to six hours a day and do chores (even as complex as Financial Management) for the master to pay for it.

Other option  I imagine is to achive black belt in one or two related arts, attend shorter courses and translate that prior knowledge into Kajukenbo. In that case I would like to know which arts woul be better and if there even is the possibility of switching arts without having to go back to zero.

Or a combination: six months uchideshi progams to convert advanced practitioners of other arts.

Any idea there?
Gustavo Sosa
Shotokan Karate.
No grade at all (check my intro post)
Under Sensei Oscar Rorra.

Montevideo, Uruguay.

Offline bareftbear

• White Belt
  • Train to be your best in all !!!
Re: Intensive courses in Kajukenbo?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 11:58:01 AM »
Its up to the teacher where you go when you start but you actually do better when you forget what you used before to be able to learn a new art, I know as I hold 4 black belts of 4 different styles its just that I love Kajukenbo and am 3rd dan. You are what rank in Shotokan ??? would love to converse more,Nick
Nick Campbell 4th degree or dan under M Hornsby 5th degree or dan

sleddog

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 10:14:52 AM »
There were a few "Distance Learning" programs available from some unscrupulous Kaju black belts, but fortunately they were shut down. No legitimate school has ever been a party to this kind of thing. Mostly because they don't work.

The difficulty you might have is in getting a visa to get to the USA to spend the time it would take to do this thing. Also, having some kind of general conditioning and flexibility to prepare you for training. Know that  it seems to take an minimum of 5 years for talented, committed individuals to get through the ranking process. Often much longer.

The biggest stumbling block about your plan is that uchi deshi programs are all about the relationship between the instructor and the student. That would take a while to develop under the best of circumstances.

I would suggest that you try to sponsor a seminar there with an instructor that might be amenable to your plan and see how it goes. A lot of these high level guys indicate that they are interested in spreading their art, not necessarily increasing the size of their wallets. This might lead to the type of live in training-relationship you are suggesting.

Good luck.

Philip Gelinas

Offline Danjo

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 12:23:27 PM »
There were a few "Distance Learning" programs available from some unscrupulous Kaju black belts, but fortunately they were shut down. No legitimate school has ever been a party to this kind of thing. Mostly because they don't work.

Good luck.

Philip Gelinas

Amen.
"Rank Without Honor is Nothing."
Dan Weston
3rd Degree Black Belt under Prof. Bishop
FMAA
Don't tell me how much you honor Sijo, if you don't respect his wishes.

Offline punisher73

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »
What is your prior formal training in Kajukenbo?  You could take arts that were parts of the base and work on those skills sets as you work your own personal study.  For example, try a judo class and work on the throws you know from kaju or take a kenpo class and work on that aspect.

In the end we are all responsible for where our training goes anyway, it just makes the road so much easier with a trusted instructor.
Kevin A. Hirakis
SW Michigan

sleddog

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:57:28 AM »
With all due respect, you can train in all the independent classes or courses that you want, but it will never be Kajukenbo unless you learn it from a ("certified") Kajukenbo instructor. This is no different than learning how to march, shoot, crawl around in mud, get yelled at, and run until you puke makes you a Marine. There is a tradition and a process, a way of tempering the body, mind and spirit. We must not lose sight of that.

The alternate method you mentioned is commendable and honorable, but it is not Kajukenbo. It might even turn out to be better, I don't know.

Tim Vargas

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 03:02:20 PM »
With all due respect, you can train in all the independent classes or courses that you want, but it will never be Kajukenbo unless you learn it from a ("certified") Kajukenbo instructor. This is no different than learning how to march, shoot, crawl around in mud, get yelled at, and run until you puke makes you a Marine. There is a tradition and a process, a way of tempering the body, mind and spirit. We must not lose sight of that.

The alternate method you mentioned is commendable and honorable, but it is not Kajukenbo. It might even turn out to be better, I don't know.

Good point. 

Just because one is a "certified Kajukenbo instructor" does not guarantee that the student will learn Kajukenbo.  There are many Kajukenbo instructors who have learned other systems/techniques, if just teaching those to their students, that doesnt make the student Kajukenbo.   

Similar to your example, if you train to be in the Army, it doesnt make you a Marine  ;)

Tim

agarcia

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 04:39:28 AM »
Hola, supongo que sabras espa?ol.
Como ya te han dicho, resulta imposible aprender autentico Kajukenbo mediante cursos intensivos o DVD,s, es un sistema basado en lo mas cercano a la realida de la defensa personal, no se trata de simples coreografias o formas, el contacto directo con el Maestro y el compa?ero de entrenamiento es, i m p r e s c i n d i b l e.
Sin embargo y seguro que tu pregunta viene mas o menos por ah?, hay o ha habido Maestros que no han tenido escrupulos en vender u otorgar titulos y altos grados a personajes que JAMAS han practicado Kajukenbo mas all? de un seminario, tales como a tu paisano Gualberto Moncayo, o portugueses como Bruno Rebelo o a un espa?ol llamado Licesio Prieto, sobre esto te podr? dar mas informaci?n el anterior participante alumno del tristemente fallecido "Maestro" que hizo posible tal herejia.
En fin amigo la cuestion es, si quieres aprender Kajukenbo en tu pais no hay nadie que sepa aunque haya "titulado", que por supuesto ahora y sin saber nada de Kajukenbo se dedica a convalidar en Kajukenbo grados de otros estilos........... simplemente vergozoso, penoso y asqueroso. Asi que la otra opci?n ser?a desplazarte a Venezuela, Mexico o Puerto Rico que es lo mas cercano dende puedes encontrar autenticos instructores de Kajukenbo y aprender de ellos durante una larga temporada o simplemente y porque confio en que eres una persona honesta, aprender EPAK con cualquiera de los maestros que hay en Argentina.
Saludos.