Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Fight Quest Kaju: is there a message to post to spread the word?

Author Topic: Fight Quest Kaju: is there a message to post to spread the word?  (Read 30913 times)

Eternal Beginner

Re: Fight Quest Kaju: is there a message to post to spread the word?
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 11:13:49 AM »
You can't make everyone happy.   ;)

8)
GM Gaylord dedicated the show to Sijo Adriano D. Emperado in the opening scene.
I mentioned Sijo all week long, that being said, I to wish that they would have mentioned his name. (I DID)
WE DID NOT LEAVE OUT HIS NAME, THEY DID.

to the professor that doesn't understand my sun glass's, too bad for you.
I was sijo's personal body guard for 14 years and if you know me then you know that I am seldom without them.
3 reasons I wear them
1 - Sijo wants me to wear them, if he see's me without them he will say hey where the sun glass's, put em on.
2 - worked nights for 15 years, when you work at night and sleep in the day your eye's get sensitive.
3 - they make me look cool man.
if you think I need my glass's to kick asp then come see me some time.

to the idiot that said we look like a BUNCH OF DRUNK BIKERS.
first of all I am not insulted by that.
I do ride a Harley and I do drink, and I can tell you that when I am out with my brothers people like you get out of my way.
not because they have to but because they are afraid, well at least until they get home safe like you behind your key board
(I move for people all the time I am not a bully) but it's not my fault they are afraid.

I had a good time doing the show and I thank everyone for their help and support.
and to those that did not like this or that, F U _ _  YOU.

don't like it, then come see me, or if your close enough then I will come see you. remember you insulted me first so this is on you and at this point I don't give a shi_

Greg Harper
KEEPING THE KAJUKENBO FLAME ALIVE.
THE BIKER IN GLASS'S THAT DRINKS BEER AND STOMPS ON RATS

Offline Rick Kingi

• Senior Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
  For those of you who don't know drinking was as normal for us in the old days as it is for you younger guys to drink water or sport drinks we didn't have that stuff  back in the 60's, there was nothing like drinking before and after workouts it would reduce the pain you knew you were going to get that night at the school and trust me you got plenty of pain but it was love pain then. I remember at all the Kaju events back in the days we had plenty of beer (right GM Forbach) LOL Sijo used to suck them up big time along with the rest of us, durning the summer my school and GM forbach would have some hard works out and then talk plenty of stories and suck up a whole lot of beer, after every Kajukenbo event in Las Vegas a bunch of people would spend the rest of the night at the bar ( Gm Ted you know what I'm talking about...LOL ). Not saying it ok but hell we did it. Keep a open mind and don't judge people by what you see you just don't know the whole story...even now they ask me your got your ice chest..
Much Love and Respect
GM Rick Kingi

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 02:08:36 PM »
GM Gaylord dedicated the show to Sijo Adriano D. Emperado in the opening scene.
I mentioned Sijo all week long, that being said, I to wish that they would have mentioned his name. (I DID)
WE DID NOT LEAVE OUT HIS NAME, THEY DID.

Yes, it's the show editors.  I've been through this "credit edit" process myself and haven't come up with a way to get them through.  I have noticed that other shows do include a bit about the founder, but I know they like to show reality.  Was Sijo present at any of the videotaping?  Would anyone be up for submitting some of his video footage for future projects?.  Perhaps future shows could try to provide some visual material such as a picture or video clip (converted from old film) of the founder/teacher in action.  At the very least, I think his short kata-like intro to the first(?) Panther video series would be a grand addition.  We looks great and the footage makes you feel like you're in Hawaii.

I thought the show was just fine.  There will always be outsiders with their outsider comments along with insiders that feel left out.  The controversy just adds to the notoriety, so just let it flow.  Since this Cafe is open to the public and many people interested in Kajukenbo will find this discussion thread first, wouldn't it be a good idea to tone down the defense against the criticism?  While I didn't see any of the criticism, I can understand that it stirs up some bad feelings.  Anyway, I thought the toughness of the show was spot on.  As an office boy, I like to learn martial arts from the tough guys.

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Likes_2_fight

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
    • Bono's JKD - Kajukenbo
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
I thought you would all get a kick out of the couple guys on the Discovery Channel website talking trash about the episode.  Thats why I posted it as soon as I saw it (good old copy and paste)

I went back and watched the show again and didn't really notice any segments that made us look drunk, but of course I was drinking a bottle of JD at the time so maybe my views were distorted.  :P

GM Harper - I loved your response to the guy who made the biker comment.  As we all know, its much easier for them to talk smack on their computer and 3000 miles away...

Here is the link once again if anyone cares to go see their comments and leave some back.  I know my brother and I already did.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2751981249/m/6841964659

I think overall, the positive comments will tower over the negative comments that are out there

Alright - now that I'm done with this its time for me to go do some crunches - geesh - did you see the gut I was sportin - whew - I wish my portions of the show were only shot from the shoulders up (of course then everyone would just have had to see my face all the time...haha).

With Respect,

Matt
Sifu Matt Bono
3rd Degree under Professor John Bono
Bono's JKD - Kajukenbo
San Jose, CA

Blood Is Just Red Sweat

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 03:08:03 PM »
Here is the link once again if anyone cares to go see their comments and leave some back.  I know my brother and I already did.

http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2751981249/m/6841964659

I think overall, the positive comments will tower over the negative comments that are out there

Have you noticed that most comments posted anywhere, be it the Internet, Letters to the Editor in a newspaper, or (chuckle) Shere Hite's survey on marital infidelity, generally are a collection of negative sentiment?  It's much easier to watch and criticize a production than it is to do one yourself.  There will be tons of comments, probably 90% negative because those are the people that take time to post.  Just let them post.  The truth will emerge:  Kaju is martial arts practiced in a more realistic way by a tougher bunch of guys.  Real fighting isn't pretty.  Now we know why the movies rely on choreography.

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
Well, here's a bit if irony for you. Before I trained in Kajukenbo I did not drink at all. Now, not only do I drink beer, I MAKE IT TOO. Though I have to say I've not tried drinking before I train. Since I teach I felt it wasn't a great image I wanted to portray to children.

I still don't ride a bike though. Just doesn't make sense to own one when I can only ride 3-4 months out of the year. Bikes and black ice don't mix well.
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

allen73

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
Not trying to be a critic, but the show looked like the Krav episode. What I mean by that is the similarities with GM Gaylord's scenario in the park and the Krav version of it, with the only difference is that they had weapons in the Krav training. But for me the best part is when GM Harper explained the difference between fighting techniques and self-defense techniques. So many folks confuse them as being the same. It was great to see an American martial art being recongnized. GREAT JOB to all who were involved.On a side not I was shocked to see Sifu Dean's soft side by asking the guy if he was ok after being kicked like that. I was expecting him to say" Suck it up, Ranger!". oops sorry wrong branch. ;D

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2008, 04:33:12 PM »
That's all producers....they make the call on many events on the show.....of course I like ours better.....
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline RizZ

• Blue Belt
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2008, 04:36:29 PM »
8)

to the idiot that said we look like a BUNCH OF DRUNK BIKERS.
first of all I am not insulted by that.
I do ride a Harley and I do drink, and I can tell you that when I am out with my brothers people like you get out of my way.
not because they have to but because they are afraid, well at least until they get home safe like you behind your key board
(I move for people all the time I am not a bully) but it's not my fault they are afraid.

I had a good time doing the show and I thank everyone for their help and support.
and to those that did not like this or that, F U _ _  YOU.

don't like it, then come see me, or if your close enough then I will come see you. remember you insulted me first so this is on you and at this point I don't give a shi_

Greg Harper
KEEPING THE KAJUKENBO FLAME ALIVE.
THE BIKER IN GLASS'S THAT DRINKS BEER AND STOMPS ON RATS

There is always at least one hater out there....He is probably just jealous that he isn't KaJu.  The show ruled, period.  Great job by everyone involved.
Scott Goldstein
Kajukenbo Black Belt - 1st Degree
Under Sifu Victor Ballesteros & Sifu Virgilio de Carvalho
Frontyard Fighting Arts - Nyack, NY

Lakan Isa
Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2008, 04:38:09 PM »
He just doesn't know the love we have....we hurt you because we love you......
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »
Several years ago when Matt and another student Kevin Imai took their Black Belt test...at the end of the test after hours of fun you have a final fight.  This usually involves full contact with MMA gloves, though with Matt is was bare fisted .....  The fight is a tough one it's against me and they are tired and me not so much.  Before the final fight I made them do a double shot of tequila and a Steel Reserve 211.....six pack in a can...  the point was to show them how hard it is to fight just after doing that..  It was a killer on the cardio, sucked there wind in seconds upon exertion...after it settles it's not as bad but just before.....it's a rough deal.  No one at the test knew what I did except maybe GGM Gaylord....

Real life is real life, you can get in a fight with the flu, and injury, while eating or drinking................ you can't prepare in theory....GT
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2008, 05:07:46 PM »
Several years ago when Matt and another student Kevin Imai took their Black Belt test...at the end of the test after hours of fun you have a final fight.  This usually involves full contact with MMA gloves, though with Matt is was bare fisted .....  The fight is a tough one it's against me and they are tired and me not so much.  Before the final fight I made them do a double shot of tequila and a Steel Reserve 211.....six pack in a can... 

Gee, I watched the whole thing and learned about that right now!    I had no idea.  Well, if you had told me, I would have pointed the video camera at them drinking and added the theme song "Bad to the Bone."

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2008, 05:09:17 PM »
Did you noticed Kevin's face was red ? 
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
Did you noticed Kevin's face was red ? 

I rechecked the pictures.   My face would be red after that kind of a beating.  At the end, a bunch of guys were all, how shall I put it, sentimental, so there were a lot of red faces.    Uh oh.  I shouldn't have written that.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2008, 06:05:06 PM »
I do have that pic somewhere......I meant before the fight, Half Chinese, half Japanese....red face.....
GM John E Bono DC