Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Inappropriate touching

Author Topic: Inappropriate touching  (Read 12291 times)

Offline Bautista's

• teaching since 1966
  • Senior Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • you show me-I show you
Re:Inappropriate touching
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2003, 09:17:14 AM »
I say that if it was sparing or doing technique, I would bust him in the mouth, then say sorry or not say anything at all. We all must work together when we train to get the full benifit of our excersices and sometime people needs to be put in there place. There are right, there are wrong and there are the dojo/kwoon way. I have trained many in my years and if I touch it is for a reason to let the student be aware and responds with there own action or reaction. You train kajukenbo as if you are out in the street, no different as in the school. If the movement is to the body we react and if it is to the face we still react, that is part of training. And I don't doubt that these ladies as pretty as they are can hit or kick a person and cause great suffering. I value the safety and spirit of my students and do not need any animosity. Situations has been takan to the mat several times on different occasion to prove a point. Our main objective is to train, to train together, to train hard and train as if we are in the streets
Emil Bautista
Kajukenbo black belt (1966)

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2003, 01:01:43 PM »
Good Morning:

Where in the post does it say she is a new/lower rank student? It doesn't. I'm giving my general opinion.

If she was new than yes the teacher acted poorly. However, it did not say she was new. The post says it was a female student complaining about another student both of their ranks are unknown.

Yes, the teacher has responsibities as the student does too. If someone is being too personal and you don't like it tell them to stop! This rule applies everywhere at home, school, streets and dojos.

Okay lets say the female was a brown belt and he was a black belt. So if that be the case than my previous post fits this story.

Maybe she was training at a modern kajukenbo dojo (oops) instead of a ol'kajukenbo dojo. If it was a mondern Kajukenbo school than my answer is inappropriate and harsh and I should be kicked out (smiles).

However, if she was from an ol'Kajukenbo school than my answer is correct.

Respectfully,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

TODD

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 02:09:44 PM »
No where in the post did it specify the belt ranks of those involved.  In my general opinion this makes
a difference on who should do what.  A higher ranked student will/should take care of business.
A lower rank may be intimidated to do so.  Regardless the instructor has a need to know and a need to
take care of the problems in his/her studio/dojo.  I don't know the difference between the two
types of Kajukenbo dojos.  Is the modern more sensitive?  And regardless of the "type" of studio
the instructor needs to investigate and take care of business.  Thats just my opinion.

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 02:57:41 PM »
Here's the link for the original post, and other comments:

http://martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9590&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

kajutexan

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 04:40:05 PM »
Todd,
What part of your post are you stating something - it seems as if you are just repeating kajushodan - pls elaborate     ???

As what I think kajushodan is saying about the 2 different types of Kajukenbo there is the old school where you rock and sock and stick to the tradition.

Then there is the ones where you lighten it up. You don't go as hard and change the format on what was taught  to fit the students because they can't handle the old tradition of banging it up.  

Kajushodan am I correct?  Please elaborate?   ;D

Peace,
Kailee#52

TODD

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 05:40:04 PM »
"The student should have handled their business".  This I disagree on if its a new or junior
student.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2003, 05:59:11 PM »
Good Afternoon:

Handling one's business is in my first post when we were generally speaking.

I stated in my 2nd post that if the student was new than I agreed the teacher acted poorly.

I hope this clears up the misunderstanding.

(Ol'Kaju vs' Modern Kaju) Kajutexan, your statement is correct. Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

No offense to anyone but I believe that Kajukenbo has two faces; modern Kajukenbo and ol'Kajukenbo. Neither are bad its just that they are very different.  

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2003, 06:00:41 PM »
After reading the posts again, I see many good points and ideas.  I see how some of the instructors would investigate the situation and handle things accordingly.  After all, the instructor is resposible for the dojo.  I also see the "payback is a gal" approach as being a wonderful idea.  In the dojo where I train, if you get hit because of something done wrong (technique/no control) or the other student didn't do what he/she was supposed to do, then you get an equal shot back.  No one leaves the dojo one up on someone.  Hey, I've been hit everywhere and never have held a grudge against anyone.  I strike back and maybe just alittle bit harder than what we were doing a few minutes earlier.   So, I would be right there with Serrena and Terry.

Then I look at the legal side... :o and begin to worry.  Where would this woman take it?  Could she take this to court as harassment or not?  Could she ruin the dojo's reputation?  Everyone needs to be involved on solving this problem.  The student needs to confront the guy and say something.  The instructor also needs to ask questions and get involved.  This way, the guy knows that people are watching.  Basically, the instructor needs to be more involved with everything!!
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2003, 06:43:32 PM »
>In the dojo where I train, if you get hit because of >something done wrong (technique/no control) or the >other student didn't do what he/she was supposed to >do, then you get an equal shot back.  

How do you avoid escalation in this situation?  Have
you ever seen others involved in this upward spiral?

We assume such mistakes as part of training and don't
see a need for payback.
Since we line up and practice by rank, the next person down receives the shot.  We call it "passing it down."
It involves a 3rd and innocent party.  So, even
if someone is willing to risk receiving a cheap shot in return for giving a cheap shot, they are less willing
when an innocent receives their due.  

>No one leaves the dojo one up on someone.  

We end the class with the Round Circle.  Everyone gathers in a circle in a Squat (horse stance.)  The
presiding instructor delivers a blow to every member
in the circle in rank order, starting with the highest grade.  Thus, the teacher leaves with the last
word.

>Hey, I've been hit everywhere and never have held a >grudge against anyone.

You're stronger than most of us.  Over the years, I have
needed a lot of thinking to control these urges.

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2003, 09:47:10 PM »
Gints,
     I like the "pass it down" idea.  It might be something for us to consider in the future.  I also like what you do at the end with the circle.  Sounds like it works well with you and your training group.

Aloha
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2003, 06:59:01 PM »
Hey Everyone: ;)

Thought you guys would like to know what happened to that girl, the other student and her instructor.

The outcome was not what most expected.  ;D
I saw this where the original post came.

Have a great weekend!

This is what her post said:

Everything is cool with this person now. I was working with him the other day and there was no problem this time. Also he just got hurt in class so I don't know when he'll be back. He twisted his knee. I believe my instructor wants me to take the initiative because we both believe it 's accidental and because I'm very quiet in class. He wants me to be more vocal. I need to speak up. He's a very good teacher. He's not unfeeling or anything. I don't want everyone thinking he's a bad person because he's far from it.

End of Post.

My opinion the teacher did the right thing.  ;D Alls well that ends well! ;)
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.