Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Video from my most recent belt test

Author Topic: Video from my most recent belt test  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
Video from my most recent belt test
« on: September 20, 2007, 12:38:14 PM »

Hey everyone,

I have some initial video from my recent belt test that I held.  A big special thanks to the KajuPit and Sibak Chayse in particular for helping out, as well as the East Coast Submissions Academy, who provided the physical space for the test, and who "lent out" one of their better grapplers to whoop on my students.

We have grappling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koWQQNHbG_Q

And sparring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtqtScn-pLk
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
Re: Video from my most recent belt test
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 12:52:09 PM »
Hey man, big ups for bringing in an outside fighter to test your students against. Especially so in a limited ruleset that they might not be used to.

But seriously....get them to elbow escape....please....I can't stand watching that happen ;)
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »
Nice video.  2 words though...

KNEEEEEE BREAAAAKS????!
Dan Tyrrell

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:07:53 PM »
Hey man, big ups for bringing in an outside fighter to test your students against. Especially so in a limited ruleset that they might not be used to.

But seriously....get them to elbow escape....please....I can't stand watching that happen ;)

Ya... we are working the mount escapes, especially after the test.  Part of the problem is that it's not part of my curriculum till they go for purple, so they haven't gotten that far yet (formally, anyway).  At this point, they emphasis has been on sprawling, pulling guard and mounting people, and striking from a guard or mount. 
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 01:33:21 PM »
Quote from: Jason Goldsmith
Ya... we are working the mount escapes, especially after the test.  Part of the problem is that it's not part of my curriculum till they go for purple, so they haven't gotten that far yet (formally, anyway).  At this point, they emphasis has been on sprawling, pulling guard and mounting people, and striking from a guard or mount. 

hrmm.... well if you're putting them up against someone more experienced, who is undoubtedly going to get topside on them, why wait till later to teach them to escape?

When I was last teaching, all the basic escapes were covered first, then we worked on anything remotely offensive. Elbow escape and Upa escape are the easiest and most reliable to learn early on.

But seriously, this video really surprised me. Getting your students outside of their bubble is always talked about, but not many follow through the way you have.
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Vala Au

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 01:42:42 PM »
Great job, Sifu Jason training your students to be progressive.  Not to second guess, but curious why in the stand up u guys keep the lead arm down.

Offline Wado

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • llama llama
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 01:42:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing the videos.  I enjoyed watching them. 

Well since others have commented on the grappling, I'll add just my 2 cents on the stand-up clinching.  I noticed a lot of neck grabbing, I suggest a reminder about using "head control" in the clinch.

Good work, thanks.
W. Yamauchi
Mateo Kajukenbo
Seattle, Washington

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 04:53:15 PM »
Great job, Sifu Jason training your students to be progressive.  Not to second guess, but curious why in the stand up u guys keep the lead arm down.

It's our standard guard Sifu Al Dacascos taught us.  Typically, it's for more long range, and you assume a more standard "boxing guard" once you close in.  Sometimes people forget to do it; I often deliberately don't with my students so they have a better shot at hitting my head.
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 04:55:41 PM »

hrmm.... well if you're putting them up against someone more experienced, who is undoubtedly going to get topside on them, why wait till later to teach them to escape?

When I was last teaching, all the basic escapes were covered first, then we worked on anything remotely offensive. Elbow escape and Upa escape are the easiest and most reliable to learn early on.

But seriously, this video really surprised me. Getting your students outside of their bubble is always talked about, but not many follow through the way you have.

Thanks!  We also had them fight a kickboxing match against the owner of the facility we were in; he was a professional kickboxer who held several titles, and now runs an MMA gym.  The goal for that drill, which I may put up later, was to see how they handled pain.

As for the grappling, you are probably right they should be getting more of the escapes; just not enough hours in the day.  Our training strategy tends to focus on not getting mounted more, which what ideally you want anyway, but it's something we are working on.
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 04:56:04 PM »
Thanks for sharing the videos.  I enjoyed watching them. 

Well since others have commented on the grappling, I'll add just my 2 cents on the stand-up clinching.  I noticed a lot of neck grabbing, I suggest a reminder about using "head control" in the clinch.

Good work, thanks.

Ya...after seeing that at the test, next week's lesson was on exactly that (no joke).
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 09:09:32 AM »
Part of the reason we keep one hand down is that it protects against shanks and other such random attacks; it's a good emergency guard to throw up from a neutral position.  The other reason we use it is that (like most Kaju schools) groin shots are always legal, and it provides some cover.
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »
An old teacher of mine taught the same type of cover as leading cover.  Rear hand covering high line and forward hand/arm covering low line.  More of a tournament cover, shielding ribs so they cant get a point there and shielding groin.  Personally, I like that cover a bit, though I tend to use it at times when not the best.  As we bridge the gap and get into range 2, the front hand should come up, but as seen in a recent video of me I do not always return it to the up position - depending on the seriousness of the sparring situation and my comfort level with the partner's ability.  My old teacher was influenced by GM Al quite a bit, so maybe that is where it came from, not sure.
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 10:44:48 AM »
An old teacher of mine taught the same type of cover as leading cover.  Rear hand covering high line and forward hand/arm covering low line.  More of a tournament cover, shielding ribs so they cant get a point there and shielding groin.  Personally, I like that cover a bit, though I tend to use it at times when not the best.  As we bridge the gap and get into range 2, the front hand should come up, but as seen in a recent video of me I do not always return it to the up position - depending on the seriousness of the sparring situation and my comfort level with the partner's ability.  My old teacher was influenced by GM Al quite a bit, so maybe that is where it came from, not sure.

That is pretty much my philosophy/strategy, and I also sometimes forget to transition guards when I close in, for much the same reasons.   
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
www.tkfmma.com