Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Feud of Orestes

Author Topic: Feud of Orestes  (Read 3343 times)

Sigung_Pat

Feud of Orestes
« on: July 04, 2007, 12:04:45 PM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fne3uJORPFM

Tim Gaskell (aka "goodsifu") in one weekend, composed this orchestral piece he calls "Feud of Orestes" in 2000 when he was 18 years old.  The video features his brother -- Dan Tyrrell -- at the Northern Pacific Nationals and a Napa demo at age 18 and at the 1996 Long Beach Internationals at age 20. 

(This is dedicated in memory of my sister Carol who very much enjoyed the talents of her nephews and nieces.  Her fighting spirit was  -- and still is -- my inspiration.)

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
Re: Feud of Orestes
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 03:52:59 PM »
haha.  Funny videos. 

Don't do that one at home kids.  If you do, use lighter fluid instead of white gas.  Doesn't burn as hot.  I can't say it was the smartest thing I have ever done.  Not the dumbest either.  Burn scars on your fingers is kinda sexy though.  Chicks dig it.
Dan Tyrrell

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 06:33:40 PM »
Wow....I've seen people supposedly light their hands on fire (with protective as well as flammable products on their hands) but I've never seen anyone do it for that long, let alone while doing a kata. Nice...your chi must be strong ;D
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline badsifu

• restricted
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 06:50:00 PM »
...your chi must be strong ;D

Nah.  Just wasn't very smart chi.  The dumb chi outnumbered the smart chi.  Until the buffalo theory took effect.
Dan Tyrrell

Vala Au

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 07:03:08 PM »
Very nice Gim form.  Terrific coiling and whipping motion.

Sigung_Pat

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 08:25:19 AM »
Now go back and replay it with your eyes closed. 

The music was composed by Dan's brother Tim, when Tim was 18 years old.  The only difference between handwriting the music on paper sheets and the computer was the playback.  The computer did not suggest or create musical sequences (as so many programs do these days).  Tim put each note, each beat, on the sheet music screen, selected the instrument, etc.  This was a song he heard in his head.  He created it over the course of an Easter break weekend before he graduated from high school.  When it was done, I played the strings portion with my violin, reading from the sheet music on the screen, he played a different line with his guitar, while the computer played the other instruments.  One of the very cool parts of the program is you don't have to turn the pages.  The computer does it for you.   ;D

He was self-taught guitar.  After teaching himself guitar, he finally took a class in his junior year of high school, I think, of music, and started there to learn how to read sheet music.  He thereafter joined a percussion band class at high school and went from triangle to assistant conductor in about one year.  He composed and played his original guitar composition for his high school graduation commencement ceremony.

He brought this piece -- "Feud of Orestes" --  to one of his classes at Expressions Center for New Media as a class project.  The teacher there, upon listening to the piece and learning how Tim created it, said that Tim was at the wrong school.   He should be at Julliard.   Couldn't afford to send him there.  Oh, well.

He still creates music, plays with a local group, does some sound engineering, and is full time teachng martial arts at the Napa school.

Again, go back and listen to the piece with your eyes closed.   :)

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:04:43 AM »
Sorry....I closed my eyes but I can still see the fire..... j/k ;)

Very well composed piece. All he needs now is a live orchestra lying around somewhere so he can record it and make some money ;D
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Sensei Mike

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 08:46:46 PM »
Dumb chi seem to be a problem at that age, they always seem to out number the good chi.