Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Sparring

Author Topic: Sparring  (Read 25349 times)

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
Re: Sparring
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2007, 08:24:19 AM »
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YLTyw6PjIP8

LOL

Only difference between me and Eddie Murphy, is I know how to break knees. ;)

Though I never thought you'd be racist towards minorities!! (Ke?poers who spell it with an M)  :o >:(
Sensei/Coach James Mayors
Ronin Martial Arts
Kajukenbo under Dan Tyrrell
BJJ under Matt Serra
Judo under Mark Staniszewski
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train hard & enjoy the ride!!!!
    • Goldade Kajukenbo Ohana
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2007, 08:30:55 AM »
Exactly my thoughts. Kaju has always been designed to evolve.  I can't speak for the other branches, but in WHKD the curriculum is constantly being revised; currently, we are starting the process of formally adding more BJJ-type grappling in, and standardizing our Escrima.  Without evolution the art stagnates, and then dies.  Kaju was designed from the beginning to be counter to that trend.  It is Sijo (and the other founders') genius.

I'm all for an evolving art that keeps up with the times and conditions.   I'm just speaking up against adding new techniques and implying they are old .  Let's keep it honest .  Without common techniques and training methods, Kajukenbo is more of a brotherhood than a style, and it then becomes difficult to explain why it is different from other styles. 

Gints,
I don't see it as much different than when the art was developed. The founders all had something different to bring to the table, they cross trained and came up with what worked best for them at that time. They were cutting edge in the 1940's.

Today over 50 years later things are different.. We have so much more availability to systems, styles, teachers and training than ever before.

I look at it like this.... Kajukenbo is our system. We all share that and we are indeed a brotherhood. We each have our own style, or unique way of presenting the system.

The founders developed Kajukenbo using the methods of KA / JU / KEN / BO that were available to them in Hawaii in the 40's. The first real free thinkers and cross trainers... They didn't care what anybody thought. If it worked they used it, and if it didn't they shitcanned it.

Today we do the same thing. Much of what was done over 50 years ago doesn't work as well as things that are taught today. We need to evolve and use what works, and not maintain outdated material for the sake of tradition.

I feel tradition in Kajukenbo is the method of training, not the exact duplication of the original material.

The characteristics of Kajukekenbo... The hard training, the contact, effectiveness, "warrior spirit".... That is Kajukenbo tradition. Not everyone with a Kajukenbo patch doing Pinan 1 exactly the same, or Punch art 1 the same. There are enough cookie cutter systems out there..

I think Kajukenbo attracts free thinkers... You can't confine a free thinker to a cookie cutter system.

Cookie cutter systems are for the people who want the easy road.... "Just tell me what to do, and how to think sir.... And please don't forget to throw in that black belt after awhile o.k."

I always tell my students and my friends from other systems that I am a technique thief.... If they show me something better than what I am doing now, I take it... And I tell them I am taking it. If we discover a new move in class that is better than what we were doing before... It is in there... If it works it stays... If it don't it goes.

I may not do things like they were done in the 40's, but if you watch us train you will see KA / JU / KEN / BO. It may be my way of expressing it, but it is Kajukenbo...

Kajukenbo is the system.... The way I teach it is our style. You can put 25 Kajukenbo guys in a room and you will get 25 different responses as to how they would deal with an attack.... Same system, just individual expressions or styles of doing it.

I don't want to look like a clone of anyone else, and I don't want my students looking like a clone of me. But I want both of us to be effective in all the ranges of combat.

Hope that makes sense... Whew... Alot of thinking this early in the morning... I need a cup of coffee..  ;)

Take care

Dean
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2007, 09:55:40 AM »
Today over 50 years later things are different.. We have so much more availability to systems, styles, teachers and training than ever before.

I look at it like this.... Kajukenbo is our system. We all share that and we are indeed a brotherhood. We each have our own style, or unique way of presenting the system.

The founders developed Kajukenbo using the methods of KA / JU / KEN / BO that were available to them in Hawaii in the 40's. The first real free thinkers and cross trainers... They didn't care what anybody thought. If it worked they used it, and if it didn't they shitcanned it.

Today we do the same thing. Much of what was done over 50 years ago doesn't work as well as things that are taught today. We need to evolve and use what works, and not maintain outdated material for the sake of tradition.
I feel tradition in Kajukenbo is the method of training, not the exact duplication of the original material.

I think Kajukenbo attracts free thinkers... You can't confine a free thinker to a cookie cutter system.

Very very well put SiGung Goldade! Much like how a car from the 1930's got you around two and fro pretty well, we now have access to far more refined information and technology to make a car that's so much better for us today. (I need to stop speaking in analogy...it's becoming a habit)
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra
"You don't rise to the level of your expectations, you fall to the level of your training"

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2007, 10:57:02 AM »
James,
I appreciate the respect, but just call me Dean.

Yep the car analogy is great, and goes with what Prof Bono said yesterday about the vette... The old ones were fun & fast, but would he trade his old one in for the latest and greatest??? YES...

The original art was the latest and greatest vette... But as cool as a 57 vette may be, and as much fun as it is to drive around on Saturday afternoon.... It won't hold a candle to the performance, reliability, dependability or practicality of the modern 2007 Z06...

Try taking a corner at 100 mph on old polyglass 14" tires and a 1957 era suspension..... You be in the ditch... But you could probably get away with it with todays vette.

A fuel injected 283 was a bad mo-fo, but it couldn't pull a under 12 second 121 mph quarter mile with a 198mph top speed... Or do 0 - 60 in 4 seconds with the windows up and the air conditioning on with a primo sound system kicking in the background.... Can you feel me??

I always use analogies too... I don't know why, but they seem to help me get my point across... At least I think they do..   :)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 11:06:02 AM by Dean Goldade »
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2007, 11:29:48 AM »
Great one GungDade...modernized it to 2007 and yes I know ProBono is funny....so no one go there.......I thought it was very well said....it's more about who we are and who we attract as Kaju and how we train and the brother hood.  I picked JKD and Kaju because of the open mindedness and the brotherhood..

On another point, I am an old car guy, '72 240Z, older Vette, '70 Caddy, '71 big block Formula Firebird........sometimes the old one do embarrass the young ones, my Caddy will smoke most new cars off the line while kicking back and your arm out the window.....sometimes it's just cubic inches......but in the long run.....

472    375 hp @ 4400 rpm    525 ft‚Ä¢lbf @ 3000 rpm    4.300 X 4.060    10.0:1    35-40
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2007, 01:02:47 PM »
Great one GungDade...modernized it to 2007 and yes I know ProBono is funny....so no one go there.......I thought it was very well said....it's more about who we are and who we attract as Kaju and how we train and the brother hood.  I picked JKD and Kaju because of the open mindedness and the brotherhood..

On another point, I am an old car guy, '72 240Z, older Vette, '70 Caddy, '71 big block Formula Firebird........sometimes the old one do embarrass the young ones, my Caddy will smoke most new cars off the line while kicking back and your arm out the window.....sometimes it's just cubic inches......but in the long run.....

472    375 hp @ 4400 rpm    525 ft‚Ä¢lbf @ 3000 rpm    4.300 X 4.060    10.0:1    35-40

LOL.... I remember the ProBono post now...... :D

If you wanna give me a title then use Gungdaddy or GungHo..... Ho??? Did I just say that??  ;)

Yea bro the ole caddy is a sweet one... One of my buddies in high school's dad had one of those with the 472.... He got to borrow it one Friday nite and we had it full of girls / beer you name it...

That ole girl would just smoke the tires till you let off the gas.... Funny thing is his dad never let him borrow it again after that night... Go figure...   ::)

But you know the new Vette could take it...  ;)
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2007, 01:10:01 PM »
It was the girls that got ya in trouble brother.......and yes the new Vette would for sure
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2007, 01:13:04 PM »
James,
I appreciate the respect, but just call me Dean.

Gotcha ;)

Yep the car analogy is great, and goes with what Prof Bono said yesterday about the vette... The old ones were fun & fast, but would he trade his old one in for the latest and greatest??? YES...

The original art was the latest and greatest vette... But as cool as a 57 vette may be, and as much fun as it is to drive around on Saturday afternoon.... It won't hold a candle to the performance, reliability, dependability or practicality of the modern 2007 Z06...

Try taking a corner at 100 mph on old polyglass 14" tires and a 1957 era suspension..... You be in the ditch... But you could probably get away with it with todays vette.

A fuel injected 283 was a bad mo-fo, but it couldn't pull a under 12 second 121 mph quarter mile with a 198mph top speed... Or do 0 - 60 in 4 seconds with the windows up and the air conditioning on with a primo sound system kicking in the background.... Can you feel me??

I always use analogies too... I don't know why, but they seem to help me get my point across... At least I think they do..   :)

Only reason I ever try to stray from using the car analogy, is I know someone like ProBo....I mean Professor Bono will come along and not be too thrilled about me talking about his classic cars ;D
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra

Offline Dean Goldade

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2007, 01:24:39 PM »
Yea, but those cars of his are sweet.... I made it out to Cali to visit one time right after he got the Formula all painted up... Good ole American muscle..

I remember one time brother Bono took me cruising in a real muscle car.... The plate said Moocow... Remember that nite brother... ROFLMAO........  :o

But anyways... We better get back on topic before we get in trouble..

Take care

Dean.
Student of the arts
www.austinkaju.com

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »
I remember...nothing like a good solid 5 mpg.....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline NYKaju

• Black Belt
  • Village Pariah
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »
I remember...nothing like a good solid 5 mpg.....

Oh we have fun ways to use 5mpg nowadays too! http://www.mtilimos.com/graphics/atlantastretchhummer4.jpg

:)
Ronin Martial Arts
BJJ under Matt Serra

Offline SifuLen

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Thru this Fist Way one gains long life & happiness
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2009, 11:25:39 PM »
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 06:19:31 PM by SifuLen »
Sifu Leonard Torres 3rd degree
Lineage; Sijo-SGM Halbuna-SGM Conway-Me.
At least on the tree but trained with many others.
With all respect to Oahu & Mainland.