Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Transfer of video to dvd

Author Topic: Transfer of video to dvd  (Read 6103 times)

Offline TFG

• White Belt
Transfer of video to dvd
« on: April 28, 2007, 12:43:49 AM »
No I haven't been I wish i knew a guy that knew how to do that, I have 100's of hrs of old Kaju and JKD stuff.....High 8 video....hummm

It's not too difficult to do, but it is time consuming. I used an off the shelf DVD/VCR recorder and hooked up my camera directly to the DVD recorder. Once you get it on DVD, you can edit and/or convert it with a computer and free software on the internet.

The quality is as good as the original and will be preserved forever.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:53:36 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »
Jason Hahn
Student 3rd Brn Original Method
Under Sifu Brian & Linda Walker

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
Re:Transfer video to DVD
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 11:01:02 AM »
Thanks for the note Jason, that was kind of a joke, Sifu Gints is one of my students and a video dude....  what editing program are you using?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:56:52 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline TFG

• White Belt
Re: Vintage Kajukenbo
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »
Thanks for the note Jason, that was kind of a joke, Sifu Gints is one of my students and a video dude....  what editing program are you using?

Ah well I guess the jokes on me then.  ;D   I've used a variety of software over the years. It sounds like your student has his work cut out for him. Most of the software I've used can be located here. Its great to see Old Kajukenbo Clips being posted. 

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tools?s=30&orderby=&&next=150&orderby=#next
Jason Hahn

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »
Thanks Jason....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 03:58:13 PM »
No I haven't been I wish i knew a guy that knew how to do that, I have 100's of hrs of old Kaju and JKD stuff.....High 8 video....hummm

Best thing for that would be to input to a miniDV camcorder using the s-video connector.   Prof Bono, which model Panasonic camcorder do you have?  Do you know if it has s-video analog->digital recording feature ?   If it's not easyto tell, I can look it up for you or you can borrow my camcorder for the job.

To back up each on a digital tape can be a little pricey unless you score those great TDK miniDV tape eight packs from CostCo.  DVD recorders are appealing for their direct-to-disc feature, but that type of compression generates motion artifacts unless you can program it to a bitrate of at least 4 megabits/second.  Also, digital tape lasts longer than recordable DVDs if stored properly.  If older footage is really that valuable to you, take the extra time to preserve it.

"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 04:01:01 PM »

Prof Bono, my humor is lacking these days.  I noticed that you were passing out link to old GM Gaylord footage, so I thought that you had started that major task of digitizing your old video library.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 04:09:27 PM »
I have a PV-GS180, I was thinking of transferring the old video high 8 to DVD to make it more watchable, so what do you think the steps are to preserve and also get to DVD.....and where is your humor?  Don't loose it brother...sometimes it's all you have.....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 06:12:09 AM »
I have a PV-GS180, I was thinking of transferring the old video high 8 to DVD to make it more watchable, so what do you think the steps are to preserve and also get to DVD.....and where is your humor?  Don't loose it brother...sometimes it's all you have.....

Sorry, Prof.  I just checked the specs for that model, and there is no Audio/Video input.  For the easy step, just run the Hi8 video into a DVD recorder using the s-video connector rather than the (usually) yellow composite video connector.  The audio will only have the usual white/red connectors for left/right channels, respectively.

My issues with DVDs are that they aren't that perfect.  Recordable DVD discs only last a few years, and DVD compression technology generates a lot of artifacts in areas of high motion.  They are essentially the mp3s of video.  Mp3s have much less information than the original CDs.  For casual listening, that's no big deal.  For archiving, that's improper, kinda like exposing your classic photographs to bright sunlight for a good yellowing before you put them in the family album.  To deal with the motion, computers do a better job of compressing as they can run through the material several times to analyze the areas of motion and compress the data more accurately.  DVD recorders can only run through the material once.  The computer method is more labor intensive, but the results are worth it, and as a plus, you can archive your video on your hard drive.   I've never used a standalone DVD recorder, but unless there is an option to set the data rate to 6-8 megabits/second, you're not getting the best quality compression for your footage. 

Digital tapes last a long time if stored properly.  Long=ten years or more.  Properly=cool, dry location, away from magnets (speakers, TVs), stored on the narrow side.

Here is a short list of archiving solutions for Hi8 video source material, from #1 solution to progressively less accurate solutions.

1) Video capture card for computer
Capture uncompressed video from s-video connector, then use DVD authoring program to edit and generate DVD or video files (MPEG4, divx, or others) of high quality.

2) Use a camcorder (prosumer, or pro feature) with audio/video s-video input feature to record your hi8 to miniDV tape.  If you (foolishly) don't want to backup your masterpiece to tape, you can use "firewire pass through" feature to transfer to computer as a "DV" format avi file.  This is essentially the same as recording directly to your miniDV tape.  MiniDV tape uses some compression within each frame, but not in between frames.  That is why you don't have "DVD-type" motion artifacts from miniDV tape.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 10:12:17 AM »
Nice........thanks G
GM John E Bono DC

Offline afdevera

• Blue Belt
  • Glendora Kajukenbo
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 10:22:31 AM »
Sifu Gints,

have you heard of the Pinnacle DVD maker plus?  any advice on this software.. IM also trying to convert my VHS into DVD and I almost purchase a Vhs/DVDrecorder combo - but really wasnt sure if the quality do come out okay.. so I went to Frys and Best buys and they told me about the Pinnacle software and Pinnacle Systems PCTV Pro USB TV Tuner or Pinnacle Systems Studio MovieBox USB

any advice?  ;D

thank you
Aurelio Francis de Vera
GLENDORA KAJUKENBO
Under GM Doug Bunda
SGM Carlos Bunda
Master John Leoning
(Universal Kempo Karate School-former student under Inst. Keith Higa)

Offline TFG

• White Belt
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 11:12:27 AM »
Gints Klimanis I agree with you up to a certain point.

If you have a computer that can record the data at the target Bit Rate you are looking for then I agree.
However I’m not able to do that. My Laptop’s 1.8 AMD Processor can not record fast enough to get
DVD quality. It just can’t record 32FPS (Frames Per Second) and maintain the original size of the picture
at the same time.

My Cheapo Wal-Mart DVD recorder does a much better job, and I have not noticed artifacts/pixilation.
I’m not sure what bit rate it records at, as I threw away the manual. You can choose 1 hour – 6 hours with
one hour being much better quality. Once I get it on DVD, then I can put it on the computer and edit as
necessary.

As far as the longevity of DVDs, that is debatable. If you store & label them correctly, then the lifetime will
far exceed a few years. On the other hand, I myself believe in the “No single point of failure” policy. I like to
have my files backed up on both DVDs and hard drives.

From my perspective, it’s better to have them backed up with 80-90% quality, then not backed up at all.
If I was a Kajukenbo instructor, I would maybe consider trading my services with a Video geek who has
the right equipment.

The most important thing to remember is to keep a 2nd copy of your files stored in an alternate location.
Nothing will break your heart more, then if you had a house fire, and lost everything.
Jason Hahn

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
Re: Transfer Video to DVD
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 03:41:13 PM »
Sifu Gints,

have you heard of the Pinnacle DVD maker plus?  any advice on this software.. IM also trying to convert my VHS into DVD and I almost purchase a Vhs/DVDrecorder combo - but really wasnt sure if the quality do come out okay.. so I went to Frys and Best buys and they told me about the Pinnacle software and Pinnacle Systems PCTV Pro USB TV Tuner or Pinnacle Systems Studio MovieBox USB

any advice?  ;D

thank you

I have not used DVD Maker, but I used Pinnacle Studio version 7 through the current 10 for years.  With the storyboard scene editing, it's the most productive DVD software out there.   It's fast and pretty good.  Then, I was bitten by the quality bug with fancier editing timelines and moved to Sony Vegas Video + DVD architect.   I *LOVE* Vegas video for editing.  I HATE DVD architect and went through a period of two years of trying to get a decent workflow to deliver its promise, but the result was that I just couldn't finish very much and built up a major video backlog.  I know nothing about the Pinnacle USB products.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:57:29 PM by Sifu Sin Bin »

Offline TFG

• White Belt
Re: Transfer of video to dvd
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 05:28:54 PM »
Sorry for the Hijack, I didn't mean to start a new thread.
Jason Hahn

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Moderators
  • Black Belt
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 07:29:33 PM »

My Cheapo Wal-Mart DVD recorder does a much better job, and I have not noticed artifacts/pixilation.

I’m not sure what bit rate it records at, as I threw away the manual. You can choose 1 hour – 6 hours with
one hour being much better quality. Once I get it on DVD, then I can put it on the computer and edit as
necessary.

As far as the longevity of DVDs, that is debatable. If you store & label them correctly, then the lifetime will
far exceed a few years. On the other hand, I myself believe in the “No single point of failure” policy. I like to
have my files backed up on both DVDs and hard drives.

From my perspective, it’s better to have them backed up with 80-90% quality, then not backed up at all.
If I was a Kajukenbo instructor, I would maybe consider trading my services with a Video geek who has
the right equipment.

The most important thing to remember is to keep a 2nd copy of your files stored in an alternate location.
Nothing will break your heart more, then if you had a house fire, and lost everything.

TFG, many grey points, and it's clear you have a background in data storage.   

For compression, you only really notice artifacts when you have noisy source material or lots of action all over the frame.   if you ever want to do a frame grab for a pictures, then you will really notice the blocking.  Most people don't notice artifacts on today's TVS, but they will be magnified when real HDTV sets are in every living room.  So, if possible, let's spread a superior video archiving practice.

Laptops of today don't cut it for real-time video compression without the special HD features of newer graphics cards, but they do make excellent DV25 (miniDV) input machines.  That is why I recommended recording the Hi8 to miniDV first.

The time control governs the bitrate, so anyone archiving martial arts should use the one hour setting.  If you're going through the trouble of recording a DVD, you can spend the same amount of time archiving to miniDV tape on a camcorder with A/V input, then transferring to your editing computer.

The longetivity of DVDs is indeed debated.  However, some real world experience with a couple important DVD-Rs changed my mind completely. I left one DVD-R out of its jacket on my coffee table for a couple of weeks. Ithought I hadn't moved it at all, but when I picked it up, I notived some scratches.  I tried a number of surface restoration techniques that usually work, but no go on this disk.  Then, when I used an accurate program to transfer it to the computer (DVDDecrypter), some sectors were permanently lost.  So, in addition to teaching me to never store DVD-Rs, I've learned to trust them less.

I generally agree with your 80-90% qualiity backup vs. zero backup.   Now, if I can ever get to duping the 100's of DVD-Rs in my home and sending the box to my parents in New york ...

Offline TFG

• White Belt
Re: Transfer of video to dvd
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 08:23:48 PM »
Nothing to argue about here.  ;D

I'd guess you could say I have above average video skills. My Laptop is my biggest hindrance to getting great quality.
Without a doubt, if your going to spend countless hours archiving, then don't be a cheap skate like me, and invest in the right equipment for the job. If time is money, then I've spent twice as much because of my slow laptop.

Just before our school closed, I used a Mini DV Cam to record my Sibak doing his forms. We were outside on a tennis court with full Sun. After viewing the tape, I was disappointed with the quality. The sun was too bright, the camera's focus was slightly off, and the Full sleeved Black Gi made it hard to discern some of the techniques. Now I'm ready to scrap the whole thing and start over.  :-\

Maybe someone could create a thread called  "What not to do when recording Kajukenbo"  ;D
Jason Hahn