Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Teaching individuals with a crimnal history

Author Topic: Teaching individuals with a crimnal history  (Read 19318 times)

Offline Chief Instructor

• Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
Re: Teaching individuals with a crimnal history
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 05:30:18 PM »
The standard, though, is possibly whether or not you had actual knowledge that a prospective student had a propensity for criminal violence.   That knowledge could come from an application or questionnaire that you give to each or your prospective students, or it could come from the student directly.       

I respect your opinion; however, I am curious as to what questions you would ask on the application.
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 03:36:15 PM »
The standard, though, is possibly whether or not you had actual knowledge that a prospective student had a propensity for criminal violence.   That knowledge could come from an application or questionnaire that you give to each or your prospective students, or it could come from the student directly.       

I respect your opinion; however, I am curious as to what questions you would ask on the application.
Fair question.  Since the questionnaire isn't for a job, mortgage loan, etc., I'd ask the prospective student questions like:

*In the last 7 years, were you ever invovled in a physical altercation?  Please explain.

*Have you ever been arrested on suspicion of committing a violent crime?  Please explain

*Have you ever been convicted of assault, battery or other violent crime?  Please explain

For my purposes, I'm going to ask these questions without indicating why I'm asking.  My hope will be to get an honest response.  If he or she comes off as taking pride in their streetfights or nightclub brawls; or if they slip and mention that time they smacked their spouse; it's gonna raise red flags with me.  However, if they explain that they had been in a few scrapes, and that they've matured; or that they no longer put themselves in fight-or-flight situations (law enforcement officers excepted) then I weigh that in their favor.

I then explain that, as a student, they're expected to represent themselves and the school in the best light possible. 
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline jadm

• White Belt
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2008, 04:55:17 AM »
sex offenders not withstanding

I just don't see the local hoods signing up for martial arts class, it just doesn't fit with the personality profile.
if they want to hurt some one they don't spend five years in a martial arts class, they would use a baseball bat, hammer , screw driver, knife, gun or any number of things.

if some one like that where to join a dojo one might make the argument that they may have profound personality changes during this time and in a sense not be the same person as a result of the training.
there are many cases of children and young adults being pulled back from the brink of serious criminal behavior because of their martial arts involvement.

as for sex offenders, all classes should be monitored by instructors. and any such behaviors delt with in the "appropriate manner" ;)
Don Weeks

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2008, 11:19:23 AM »
There is a rehab place where people live, a large place but sort of like a half way house that is walking distance from us and we have had many great students come from there.  They are trying to change their lives and do so by training.  I give them a graduated payment schedule since they get paid very little at first for work and nit slowly gets to be a regular paying job....so far it has worked great and we have some great people from there...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline punisher73

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
sex offenders not withstanding

I just don't see the local hoods signing up for martial arts class, it just doesn't fit with the personality profile.
if they want to hurt some one they don't spend five years in a martial arts class, they would use a baseball bat, hammer , screw driver, knife, gun or any number of things.

if some one like that where to join a dojo one might make the argument that they may have profound personality changes during this time and in a sense not be the same person as a result of the training.
there are many cases of children and young adults being pulled back from the brink of serious criminal behavior because of their martial arts involvement.

as for sex offenders, all classes should be monitored by instructors. and any such behaviors delt with in the "appropriate manner" ;)

I have an acquaintence who used to teach BJJ (he is also an LEO).  He stopped teaching publically because he found that there were guys signing up for the classes for criminal behavior, mainly going to bars to start fights etc.

When I became a cert. knife instructor for our department, I was talking with the instructor and he talked about being approached by a large biker gang who offered him $10k to teach them knife fighting.  Let me just add as an aside, the context of the story wasn't to brag, and he was a very nice and down to earth guy so I believe that this happened in the Detroit area where he worked.
Kevin A. Hirakis
SW Michigan

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 12:23:05 PM »
I don't think that happens all to much though.....usually you build that teacher students relationship of respect and then instill when and where to use the arts......sometimes a good teacher can change that persons life and outlook on life itself....
GM John E Bono DC
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline jadm

• White Belt
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 03:13:38 AM »
I've come to realize that the art polices itself
The DESIGN of the system solves most of these types of problems. A person who feels beating people up is the only purpose of martial arts usually feel bored at all the practice the art. People who are confrontational either change or leave It's very hard on the EGO.
Don Weeks

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 08:58:15 AM »
I think you are absolutely right Don.....
Don make sure you put your affiliation down with your signature for the forum, thanks much.....
GM John E Bono DC

Offline V. F. Mateo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • That little extra in ordinary = extraordinary
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 04:00:20 PM »
I know this topic is an old one, but I've trained and have trained people that are reformed x-convicts. The good news is they are reformed and paid their dues to society and actually some have become counselors. The prison has an education system for those that are serious about it. And of course once labeled a x-convict the stigma is such. But one can tell after communicating and training them, you should be observant of their behavior. 

Frank Mateo
V. Frank Mateo-8th degree; GM Gerry Scott
CHA 3 Kenpo Karate; retired Co-Founder Frank Suan
5th Degree KAA; GGM Charles Gaylord-Professor Brian Yoshii & Professor Brian Baxter
Ali'i Warriors Fight Club-Muay Thai (Promoter, Match Maker, Trainer, and Coach)

Offline Ron Baker

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
Good point, Prof. Mateo.  Ex-felons' "re-entry" into society is crucial.  And other than the military or law enforcement, it's organized martial arts that offers them the kind of discipline, order, self-respect and confidence needed to be responsible citizens.

darn good point.
Sigung (Shihan) Ron Baker
Kajukenbo 5280 MMA Foundation
Under GM Jason Groff
Ordonez Kajukenbo Ohana

Offline Kenpo_85

• Yellow Belt
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »
I agree, and also not to forget that there were dozens and dozens of ex-convicts that were taught in the early days of Kenpo and Kajukenbo. Those who stuck around completely turned their lives around. This is no secret, and any old timer of our art knows this.