Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Women & Groin Strikes

Author Topic: Women & Groin Strikes  (Read 48256 times)

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
Women & Groin Strikes
« on: June 23, 2003, 08:06:24 AM »
Guys, many women training don't want to be pampered when they train with the guys. But sometimes it just feels awkward hitting women either in the chest or in the groin. Would the appropriate protection help you to feel more comfortable turning up the heat in your training to make it more realistic for them?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2003, 08:09:50 AM by TheGuardian »
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

dragonnv

Re:Women & Groin Strikes
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2003, 06:26:26 AM »
All of the women I have trained with or taught --DO NOT want to be treated differently. They are training for street application of Kajukenbo, no more no less.

One of them has 3 broken cup's (on Plaques) , given to her by those who tried to play a male ego thing while sparring.

Ultimately we all train for a street situation's in which we will be ready for -- why would we train our women any differently??  Do not they deserve the same respect?  

We train " to protect ourselves and our love one's from dangers forced upon us" Male or Female?

With respect;

Offline kajukenbo Dad

• White Belt
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 12:12:43 AM »
our female Sufu....is first to ask are you wearing a cup!!!.....that goes both way.

Offline D-Man

• Blue Belt
  • It's all about the BIG PICTURE
    • SMA website
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2003, 10:43:28 PM »
I would feel more comfortable if she had a cup, just like I would feel more comfortable when he has a cup, but how do you know?  I wouldn't ask a female if she has a cup because it's unfamiliar territory, but I would ask a male.  I here the girls complaning about the cups a lot more than the guys, becuase theirs is a different piece of equipment, so I think they wear it less often.

I deffinately don't want any penetration going on. :)

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2003, 10:50:33 PM »
Good point.  How would you know if a women was wearing one if they are not required to for training?  

Maybe if guys start asking women if they have a cup, women will not think it's weird to consider getting one?  
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

napashifu

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2003, 12:00:02 AM »
aloha.
At  our school, groin protection is required for both men and women,because 85-90% of our techniques contain groin strikes and they are told this when they join, and the women who have been training for awhile will tell the new women that they need to wear groin protection and that if they don't its their own fault(same goes for the guys ;)  If your not sure if they are wearing any protection, just  ask "do you have a cup or groin protection  on"  before you start training.

Kajushodan

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2003, 07:27:05 PM »
Good Afternoon:

In our Kajukenbo training groin shots are a must. No cup no train regardless male or female. The guys hit/kick the women in the groin area just as hard as we hit/kick them. We have to hit the cup thats why its there so we are able to hit that area and live to talk about it.

If our GM, Sigung, Prof. or Sifu do not hear a cup pop we must do it again. Sometimes even with the cups on some men are intimidated but they should not. We are wearing the cups so that we can all train together. In our school we believe all for one and one for all.

I would rather be grabbed, hit, kicked, choked, locked and punched in my school first than wait until I am in the streets. There is no separation of gear, strikes or techniques between male or females. Our school is a classic ol'Kajukenbo dojo.

I welcome the hit to the groin now, because I have a cup on too. It makes for a more real effect. Even better after I get hit I get to hit them too.

Believe it or not there are still many men that do not wear cups too. I have been to other schools, seminars and tournaments and found that many men are cupless. It all depends on the type of training you are seeking. You want contact put a cup, no contact don't worry about it.

The best training is when there is no separation between male and female students.
Students don't be scared put the cup on and tell them to bring it on (smiles)!!

Thank you all for your time. Train Hard and Train Strong!

Serene Terrazas
KSDI Vallejo

Offline Sub7

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 10:38:53 AM »
The timing is kinda funny that I'm now reading this.  The topic did surface a few days ago at our dojo.  During punch counters, a female black belt asked one of the new students if he is wearing a cup.  Kind of caught the new student off guard for which he replied no. She recommended "Bike," brand (my favorite) and reluctantly replied that SHE is wearing a cup and that he should start wearing one.   :)

I later approached the new student and gave him a choice, whether he preferred bruises on the insides of his thighs or wear a cup that doesn't leave bruises?

At our dojo, when we practice striking the groin area, if our partner did not wear a cup, we strike the inner thigh area simulating the groin.  Needless to say, when I strike in the inner thigh area, I WILL leave bruises.  It kinda gives encouragement to the new student to wear a cup next time.  :)

Sibak
Sifu Morgan Olsen 3rd degree, Emperado Method, Senior Grand Master Kaanana
Student Middle East KSDI

Offline TwistedTiger

• White Belt
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 10:13:11 AM »
Hmmm ok lets see where to start this out.  :-\  I'm sure there will be lots of responses to this. I'm new at the arts and there are is a  problem that I know, I have to get over. I have always been taught by my parents that it's not right to hit women and not to do it. So for me it's a hard thing for me to get over the Moral thing. Although, my mother also said, "BUT if a Woman is Big enough to hit you then you better hit her back." Ok so now the confusion begins. On the other hand, my father being an Ex Marine, would have kicked the ever living hell out of me if he found out that I ever hit a woman. My parents have both past now and I still have a problem with the hitting women thing. Although I do it in training and yes I do hold back even when they don't.  I don't like it and I don't agree with it; But it's something I know I have to do. It's training and I know on the street, a woman is not going to think twice about trying to hurt me for whatever reason and hopefully I won't ever have to face that. Funny thing is that I just got promoted to white/purple sash last month and some how there was a line of us and BAM there I was facing a woman and I had to defend myself against #1 kicking attack. So you can imagine how I was feeling and thinking. But she was ok with it and was like don't worry about it, just do it. Even though she was ok with it, I still didn't feel comfortable. See to me it's not a matter if the women have cups on or not.
I could go on with this forever but I won't, I think you all have the massage. I'm sure my teacher will see this sometime soon as well, but this is how I feel and something I'm sure I'll have to get over. I have never told my teacher how I feel about it or even if I should, or even how to being to say it. Geee I think this could have been a whole new topic.
ok one more thing....... I also have a son that trains in the same school with me and at the moment he is 8 years old. We both started together a few months ago and he has girls in his class. And I have ever since he was old enough to understand, taught him the samething my parents taught me. But I just thaught to myself, what will he think when it comes time for him to spar with them. Hmmmmm I will ask him how he feels about it when he wakes up. Ok now to confuse you... as I was just writing that last thing about my son... I just realized that when I spar with  one of the woman of that comes to sparing class, for some reason at the begining I see a woman, BUT when it's time to get down to business she to ME, is just a moving object coming at me and it don't matter anymore. Wow that's soooooooo wierd. I am so confused right now. Did any of this make any sense? Ok I'm so confused I think I'll stop now. Thanks for taking the time to read this confusion of mine and as always, input and advise is always appreciated and welcome.
Mike Edmondson Sr
Kajukenbo Tum Pai, Black belt, under Shifu Kirklin T. Rask

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 01:08:00 PM »
Being 50 years old, I grew up being taught that you never hit your sister, and you never hit another girl/woman.  It was simply considered cowardly, and unmanly to ever have to strike a woman.  
Having been in  law enforcement for 32  years, I have been slapped, kicked, and punched by women.  I still have never really had to hit one.  I've done a lot of grappling with them, but have never been worried enough about one injuring me that I've had to strike or kick one.  I've had to draw down on a few who had knives, and wouldn't have hesitated to shoot if they had advanced, but it never got that far.  
A sad thing I've been seeing after spending the last 5 years investigating domestic violence (spousal abuse, elder abuse, stalking) cases, is that the "equality" age has created a society of men who have no qualms about striking and beating women for just about any reason.  
But, back to training.  I've always looked at women students like men students.  In that I do not hit anyone (wearing proper protective gear), anywhere,  hard enough to injure them.  And I do not hit the 120# student (male or female) as hard as I hit the 200# student.  I think it's just common sense to gear your contact to the size of the opponant.    
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Sifu Terry McBride

• Global Moderator
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 10:59:14 PM »
Here's another thought on striking women in class.  One of the reasons I love Kaju, is my instructor had us gals get popped just like the guys.  Reality is on the street, it doesn't matter how good you are, you're likely to get hit when defending yourself.  If it shocks you and you freeze, you lost.  I took Aikido a couple of years ago(really enjoyed it), they never struck each other.  If anyone got hit by mistake they were done for the night.  One night we're doing a tech, the black belt (I'm a brown in Aikido) wanted to try something different on a tech.  Sounded cool to me so we went  for it.  I got his heel in my mouth, sent me flying.  Anyway, split lip and I'm hoping I've got teeth so I can teach my class the next day, but I'm ready to go again.  They were shocked.  It's because we in Kaju train the way we do.  I tell my gals the same thing, you've got to learn you can take a hit and keep going.  Deal with the pain later when you're safe.  So for the benefit of the ladies in your class, hit them, with control of course, the same I'd hope they use on you.

Enjoy your training, you've picked a great art.

Sifu Terry McBride
Terry McBride, 5th degree under Professor Joel Purvis, under Grandmaster Emil Bautista
There is no planet sun or star could hold you, if you but knew what you are.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Brandi Ross

• Global Moderator
  • Brown Belt
  • Always a student.....
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2003, 05:57:42 PM »
Sifu Terry has a very valid point.  We, as women, need to be able to take the hits as well as dish it out.  I give credit to getting back up and continuing in the Aikido class.  Bet you impressed, as well as shocked, some people.  I know a few women that cannot even take a simple block on the forearm.  How is she going to defend herself?  I'm afraid to say not too well.  I think that we may need to spend more time on body conditioning.  I'm not too sure about the groin shots, but I'm continuously working on the rest.  For certain techniques and to allow for more real training, cups should be used to protect the groin for both men and women.  This way, each can get the hit in and see if their foot/hand placement is correct.  Control is a must, especially when learning something new.  Prepare for the streets but treat your fellow student with respect.

Aloha,
brandi
Brandi Ross
Black Belt
Kingi's Kajukenbo
GM Rick Kingi
formerly under Sigung Alex Cadang

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2003, 01:12:23 AM »
Twisted Tiger it will come in time.  :)As everything there is a learning process. You are going throught it now.

You will find yourself doing things that you never thought of before. In addition, there will be thoughts that run through your mind that were never there.

In time when you are ready it will all come together. Your thoughts are very normal.  ;D

Right on for sharing.

Soifua,
Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline Seejay

• White Belt
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »
Gentlemen I was raise in a house where my brothers were taught never to hit a woman, but unfortunately not all men are taught that and if we ladies are attacked by a guy we need to be able to protect ourselves.  Part of learning how to protect our selves is being able to take a hit no matter where it lands.  We need both our female and male practice/sparring partners to “attach” us.  That does mean that ladies need to where protection, as a courtesy to each other as well as the gentlemen in our dojo (besides it is for OUR protection).  This is our responsibility as women learning the art just as it is for men to where protection.  Lastly, Gentleman do not be afraid to ask your female partner if she is where protection, we much rather be asked than have you assume.
Heather Jacobs
Blue Belt
Tony Ramos Kajukenbo
Instructor: Sigung David Amiccuci

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2004, 08:33:36 PM »
I know I posted this somewhere else, but it eludes me right now.

#1 reason for my wearing a cup - so one one slaps me on the inner soft spot of my thigh - Man do I hate that!!!!!!!
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com