Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
CHA 3 Kenpo

Author Topic: CHA 3 Kenpo  (Read 26155 times)

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
CHA 3 Kenpo
« on: November 01, 2006, 07:14:19 PM »

Does  some people train this system here?

Thats could be interesting to know more about  the Late GM Marino Tiwanak system

Steeve
Steve Malette
Kajukenbo /chuan fa  Honor to GM Gelinas,Sifu Baralis.Sifu  Fajardo
Ng Ga kuen Kung fu(GM Ark Yueh Wong system) under Sifu Seming Ma
Kuntao Silat De Thouars Honor to Guru Tuan Randall Goodwin
Who s Who

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
    • Gentlemen's Fighting Club
Re: CHA 3 Kenpo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 02:03:45 AM »
I train in a system that descended from CHA3.  My teacher, Master Rich Lewis, currently isn't a member of CHA3, but he trained in CHA3 in Hawaii during his youth (age 13-19) before entering the military service .  Later on, but he joined up with his teacher Sam Brown in San Jose, CA.  Rich met Prof. Marino Tiwanak when he visited  Sam Brown's school before that school eventually broke away from CHA3.    Ahhhh, martial arts and politcs.

Anyway, I've checked my arts with some CHA3 instructors that I've met over the last decade, and they say my arts are the older CHA3 arts.  My teacher Rich is a traditionalist, and forcefully preserves the system as he learned it.

So, in the end, I don't represent CHA3, but I would like to talk to more people that have trained in that system.

Gints
"We do not condone the use of a toilet seat as a deadly weapon"
Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo, 3rd Degree Black Belt Prof. Richard Lewis
Bono JKD/Kajukenbo, Prof. John Bono, San Jose, CA
Baltic Dog, Dog Brothers Martial Arts

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:09:28 PM »

Gints

Go Shin Jutsu kenpo ...does its the same of Karazenpo go shinjutsu  ???

Steeve
Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 06:21:43 PM »
The lineage of my teacher's Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo is different from Karazenpo.   Go Shin Jutsu is a generic Japanese term for self-defense techniques.   

Vala Au

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 11:46:25 PM »
I train in a system that descended from CHA3.  My teacher, Master Rich Lewis, currently isn't a member of CHA3, but he trained in CHA3 in Hawaii during his youth (age 13-19) before entering the military service .  Later on, but he joined up with his teacher Sam Brown in San Jose, CA.  Rich met Prof. Marino Tiwanak when he visited  Sam Brown's school before that school eventually broke away from CHA3.    Ahhhh, martial arts and politcs.

Anyway, I've checked my arts with some CHA3 instructors that I've met over the last decade, and they say my arts are the older CHA3 arts.  My teacher Rich is a traditionalist, and forcefully preserves the system as he learned it.

So, in the end, I don't represent CHA3, but I would like to talk to more people that have trained in that system.

Gints

Brother Gints,

In my early days I trained with some folks who would today probably be considered CHA 3.  At the the time, I didn't know there was any difference between that and Kaju.  It was very hard style big knuckle stuff.  Sijo was referred to as "Da Chief" or "No Noi". That was about the time he was expanding in the mainland (early 70's) I guess. After training or tournaments we would be invited to go up to Prof. Marino's house.  After much beverage was consumed many displays and attempts at breaking bricks always occurred.  Nothing but good times.  It's a shame politics has caused division among us.

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 04:45:02 AM »
Brother Jason,

When I travel to Hawaii, I would like to visit with you and CHA3 .  In particular, I'd like to watch your school to see if I can recognize any arts. 

Here is a video of my teacher :
http://tinyurl.com/wszv3

Are the back patch, wide sashes and split-colored belts a familiar sight ?  Do you have any pictures of your club ?

Thanks,

Gints

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 12:16:55 AM »

gints

thank for sharing

U done some dog brother training...Whats  do u thing about  club and knife  counter???

Steeve
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 02:13:39 AM by Steve »
Steve Malette
Who s Who

Vala Au

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 08:16:47 PM »
Brother Jason,

When I travel to Hawaii, I would like to visit with you and CHA3 .  In particular, I'd like to watch your school to see if I can recognize any arts. 

Here is a video of my teacher :
http://tinyurl.com/wszv3

Are the back patch, wide sashes and split-colored belts a familiar sight ?  Do you have any pictures of your club ?

Thanks,

Gints

Brother Gints,

Hope I didn't mislead you, when I said my early days, I meant 30+ years ago.  I am currently under GM Al Dela Cruz in the Chuan Fa Branch of KSDI.  I haven't had any connection to CHA 3 in years.  It is currently run, I believe, by Prof. Marino's son Mike Tiwanak.  Since Prof. Marino passed they seem to keep pretty much to themselves as far as training functions and tournaments.  The point I was trying to make was that in my younger days there didn't seem to be any distinction other than name which we now know is not true.  You're still welcome to visit when you come down to Hawaii.  Aloha.

Offline KajuJKDFighter

• Senior Moderator
  • Black Belt
  • "Accept the things to which fate binds you"
    • Bono's Jeet Kune Do and Kajukenbo
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2006, 10:33:06 AM »
Nice pain compliance Gints...
GM John E Bono DC
9th Degree Grand Master Gaylord Method Kajukenbo
Full Instructor-Hartsell's Jeet Kune Do Grappling Assoc
Chief Instructor Bono's Jeet Kune Do/Kajukenbo
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them a desire,a dream,a vision

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 01:35:16 AM »
Prof. Bono,  that's my friend Roger Tinkoff receiving.  Luckily,  I was the fellow holding the video camera.   

That's the training ground for the summer Belt Ceremony.  It's the concrete foundation of what once was an above ground pool.  There is a thin layer of dirt over the cement, so when Roger is "tapping" the ground, he's smacking concrete blocks.
When it gets dusty, Master Lewis just hoses down the dust, and we're all muddy.  All fun.

Gints

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 01:37:18 AM »

Brother Gints,

Hope I didn't mislead you, when I said my early days, I meant 30+ years ago.  I am currently under GM Al Dela Cruz in the Chuan Fa Branch of KSDI.  I haven't had any connection to CHA 3 in years.  It is currently run, I believe, by Prof. Marino's son Mike Tiwanak.  Since Prof. Marino passed they seem to keep pretty much to themselves as far as training functions and tournaments.  The point I was trying to make was that in my younger days there didn't seem to be any distinction other than name which we now know is not true.  You're still welcome to visit when you come down to Hawaii.  Aloha.

Brother Jason,

No problem.  I'm always curious about the "good old days", and your words about the lack of distinction between CHA3 and Kajukenbo during your time are valuable to me.

Gints

Offline Gints Klimanis

• Black Belt
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 02:24:01 AM »

U done some dog brother training...Whats  do u thing about  club and knife  counter???

Brother Steve,

I've fought at a few Dog Brother Gatherings, but I do not represent their material.   The Dog Brother titles (Dog Joe, Candidate-Dog Joe, Dog Brother Joe) indicate that you have at a number of their tournaments at a certain level and have gained the trust of the group.

As for the Go Shin Jutsu Kenpo club counter, I think it's good.  I've never performed the entire art from start to finish, but I don't think that is ever the intention of an Art.  I have delivered most of that move in parts.   People swinging a stick/club really do extend their arm that far as they are trying to maximize their range.  In my experience in weapons sparring, when the attacker's swinging arm is intercepted by an upward block at the wrist or forearm, their weapon typically flies.  This has been done to me as well.  The rest of the Club Art is reasonably valid as well because most people, untrained or trained in any kind of stick art, want to hold on to the weapon and just try to pull it away.  So, you can hold weapon hand while wailing on them with your free hand, armed or not.   

I have sparred with many people trained in weapons, and unless they are experienced, most really do spend their energy trying to regain control of their weapon.   So, this wisdom built into Kaju/Kenpo has been demonstrated to me .   And, the funny but real thing is that those trained exclusively in unarmed Arts typically find the weapon to be a nuisance.  They would rather punch, kick or grapple, almost relieved that the weapon is no longer in their hand.  It's funny to watch two guys grappling trying to do a fancy submission with their training weapons lying right next to them.

Gints

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 01:05:06 PM »

Good point brother Gints

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 04:21:49 PM »
 Since we talk about club trick.....

I have some cha 3 kenpoclub trick ...dont know if its  the right or just a version ...but a lot are like in kajukenbo with the upward block and backfist to groin entry the 3,4 7 and 11 have this entry maybe i could post the techniques ....but im really not sure if its the original  or just a version...I have also some punch trick and grab..........

Steeve
Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline Resik

• White Belt
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 03:50:02 PM »
Hello, I'm new here.

I trained for a little while with Sling Patterson in Mesquite, TX many years ago.  I've now just started (3 weeks ago) to train with one of his former students who is now an instructor in CHA 3 Kenpo.  His name is Bonner Lovern.

I was really excited to find out that I could continue my training as I here that Sling is now in Iraq.
Hank Kiser
CHA 3 Kenpo