Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What Part of The Kajukenbo Family are you from?

Poll

Branch or method

Kajukenbo - Original (Kenpo) Method
230 (41.1%)
Kajukenbo - Chuan Fa
16 (2.9%)
Kajukenbo - Won Hop Kuen Do
26 (4.7%)
Kajukenbo - Tumpai
43 (7.7%)
Kajukenbo - Gaylord Method
72 (12.9%)
Kajukenbo - Ramos Method
79 (14.1%)
Kajukenbo - Other
50 (8.9%)
Extended Family, Karazempo, CHA-3, Cerios Kenpo, Shaolin Kempo, etc.
43 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Author Topic: What Part of The Kajukenbo Family are you from?  (Read 89076 times)

Offline The Kai

• Yellow Belt
    • Kai Martial Arts
Re: What Part of The Kajukenbo Family are you from?
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2005, 07:53:29 AM »
I'm a outsider, love my kenpo and I share many of the same roots as the Kaju Family

I say this with a great deal of respect to the KaJukenbo Ohana, that while I respect and share many of the same roots, as much as i might want to I cannot claim to be a kaJukenBo stylist(Nor will I)
Todd Martin
Kenpo

Offline Profmartin

• White Belt
  • Black Belt 10th Dan founder of Shojukempo
    • Shojukempo International
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2005, 11:07:53 AM »
hello again friends
please let me know if I'm wrong? the Kajukenbo ryu came from Kara ho ryu, Kara ho ryu came from Kosho ryu, Kosho ryu came from the Mitose family, Okinawa -te or Shorin ryu, Shorie ryu are from Azato Sensei & Itosu Sensei or Matobu Sensei. there are so many ryus out their its not funny. Sijo Emperado's Kajukenbo ryu has alot of respect from the Rhode Island area. GM Gascon speaks very highly of him, when he come to Rhode Island. Kosho ryu,
Kara ho ryu, Parker Kenpo ryu, Kajukenbo ryu, Karazenpo ryu, Cerio's ryu, Kajukenpo ryu, Shojukempo ryu. may be diferent. but, Kihon basicly are all the same just with alittle flavor added. do any of the Kajukenbo Karateka practice the Palama Sets or the Pinon's ( kata )? it would be nice to exchange info. about our ryu's. there is alot of history here! may god bless all Kenpo / Kempo ryu's around the country and the world. oss!
Prof. Larry S.L. Martin 10th Dan founder President of Shojukempo, Shojukempo International. President Rhode Island Karazenpo Go Shinjursu Black Belt Society. Kajukenpo Rhode Island under the late Grandmaster William R. Gregory

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2005, 11:32:47 AM »
hello again friends
please let me know if I'm wrong? the Kajukenbo ryu came from Kara ho ryu, Kara ho ryu came from Kosho ryu, Kosho ryu came from the Mitose family, Okinawa -te or Shorin ryu, Shorie ryu are from Azato Sensei & Itosu Sensei or Matobu Sensei. there are so many ryus out their its not funny. Sijo Emperado's Kajukenbo ryu has alot of respect from the Rhode Island area. GM Gascon speaks very highly of him, when he come to Rhode Island. Kosho ryu,
Kara ho ryu, Parker Kenpo ryu, Kajukenbo ryu, Karazenpo ryu, Cerio's ryu, Kajukenpo ryu, Shojukempo ryu. may be diferent. but, Kihon basicly are all the same just with alittle flavor added. do any of the Kajukenbo Karateka practice the Palama Sets or the Pinon's ( kata )? it would be nice to exchange info. about our ryu's. there is alot of history here! may god bless all Kenpo / Kempo ryu's around the country and the world. oss!

In a way that is slightly correct.  But Kajukenbo is a distinct martial art in itself that encompases much more then kenpo.  Unlike many kenpo systems, it does not have a single lineage. 
It has combined lineages thru Kenpo Jiujitsu, Danzan Ryu Jujitsu, Kodokan judo, Sil-lum kung fu, and Tang Soo Do.  It also has influences from Escrima and Western boxing. 
It has many techniques and principles that are not found in "kenpo" systems. 
To just lump Kajukenbo in with the "kenpo" styles would be to ignore the contributions and influences of the other 4 founders.     
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:35:39 AM by John Bishop »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Profmartin

• White Belt
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2005, 11:54:17 AM »
thank you Mr. Bishop
Kajukenpo has Karate-do, Ju-jitsu, Pai Lum, Karazenpo and Kobudo ryu. Shojukempo has Traditional Shotokan Karate-do, Aikijujitsu, Okinawan & Hawaiian Kempo, Pai Lum and Kobudo ryu. our kata's are all traditional kata Japanese version, Okinawan & Hawaiian version and afew Palama sets & Pai Lum sets. we don't use the combination's number's like combination 1 thru 20, we use names like checking the storm, bending tree, tiger wips his tail. we call them fighting tactic's. we must get together some day and talk we have alot to offer each other. you are a great help! there is so much knowledge. oss!
Prof. Larry S.L. Martin 10th Dan founder President of Shojukempo, Shojukempo International. President Rhode Island Karazenpo Go Shinjursu Black Belt Society. Kajukenpo Rhode Island under the late Grandmaster William R. Gregory

Offline Profmartin

• White Belt
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2005, 12:01:11 PM »
you say lineage we have lineage from the Shotokan ryu, Pai Lum, Aikijujitsu, Kenpo / Kempo and Kobudo ryu. so now I really understand. we have so much lineage from the Arts, we must thank every GM that has given us the knowledge of the Martial Arts! again thank you so much. oss!

Offline Burt Vickers

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • 8th Degree Blackbelt Kajukembo- "Peralta Method"
    • My Kajukembo Web Site
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2005, 02:41:10 PM »
My Question is for Mr. Martin,  How did you gain your current rank and title? You show to have trainned under many Grand Masters with in various arts.  Is this a title or postion that was awarded to you?  There are so many brothers and sister in our vast family, i find it interesting of the protocol's of Rank advancedment between Systems. 

Thank you ,
Burt Vickers
Kajukembo Self Defense Systems
Dallas Texas
Respect and Honor is a character trait all should share.
Sijo A. D. Emperado
SGM Aleju Reyes
GM Richard L. Peralta

http://www.kajukembousa.com/

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/burtvickers/

Offline KempoCuban

• White Belt
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2005, 02:44:04 PM »
Greetings fellow Martial Artists! My affiliation with Kajukenbo comes via GM Gascon, GM Pesare, GM Cerio, GM Villari, Professors Nohelty and Bryant.  I have been studying Martial Arts for nearly 33 years.  I have Shodans in Judo and Tae Kwon Do and I am an active Sandan in Kempo Karate.

I have tried to locate where exactly GM Gascon sits on the Kajukenbo family tree.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  
Sensei Joe Viera
Sandan
Affiliation: Masters Self Defense - Professors R. Nohelty and J. Bryant and Master J. Mullaney.

Offline Burt Vickers

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
  • 8th Degree Blackbelt Kajukembo- "Peralta Method"
    • My Kajukembo Web Site
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2005, 02:52:01 PM »
The  branch of the tree I fall into is the following

Sijo Emperado
GGM Aleju Reyes
GM Richard L Peralta
Sifu Burt Vickers

Aloha to All
Burt Vickers
Respect and Honor is a character trait all should share.
Sijo A. D. Emperado
SGM Aleju Reyes
GM Richard L. Peralta

http://www.kajukembousa.com/

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff123/burtvickers/

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2005, 02:56:31 PM »

I have tried to locate where exactly GM Gascon sits on the Kajukenbo family tree.  Can anyone shed some light on this?  

Before he choose to sever ties with Kajukenbo in the 60's, GM Gascon was a student of John Leoning, and received his black belt from Sijo Emperado.  It was customary then (50's) for all black belt promotions to be made by Sijo Emperado, even though the student may have actually trained under one of Sijo's black belts.   
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline KempoCuban

• White Belt
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2005, 04:04:45 PM »
Thank you sir, for this information.  I have been trying to find the common roots of the Karazepo Go Shin Jitsu and Kajukenbo systems.  I attended a seminar at GM Pesare's RI dojo.  During this seminar, GM Pesare taught us the original Karazenpo Pinans 1-4.  During this seminar GM Pesare stated these Pinans were originated in Hawaii.  Am I wrong to assume these Pinans come from our Kajukenbo lineage?
What originally attracted me to Kempo Karate/Shaolin Kempo was how eclectic the art is.  I could easily incorporate my Judo and TKD background into the system and not have to modify anything.  It all becomes clear now!  Kajukenbo is also an eclectic art! 

Sensei Joe Viera
Sandan
Affiliation: Masters Self Defense - Professors R. Nohelty and J. Bryant and Master J. Mullaney.

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2005, 04:37:26 PM »
GM Pesare taught us the original Karazenpo Pinans 1-4.  During this seminar GM Pesare stated these Pinans were originated in Hawaii.  Am I wrong to assume these Pinans come from our Kajukenbo lineage?

I'm not sure since the Pinans taught in the "Shaolin Kempo"  system are actually the Okinawan Pinans, and not Kajukenbo Palama Sets (formerly called Pinans).  There are DVD's and videos availiable that have the "Original Method".       
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline KempoCuban

• White Belt
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2005, 04:49:19 PM »
You are correct, the Shaolin Kempo Pinans are based upon the Okinawan Pinans.  In Shaolin Kempo the Hawaiin based forms are called Katas.  However my point was, GM Pesare called the Katas Pinans and attributed them to a Hawaiian origin which I have to assume is the Kajukenbo lineage.  I would be very interested in purchasing the "Original Method" DVDs...  Can you suggest a source where I can purchase these?
Thank you for your endulging my requests.
Sensei Joe Viera
Sandan

Offline John Bishop

• Black Belt
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2005, 05:13:57 PM »
The "katas" I've seen taught by the USSD and Villari schools here in California do not resemble the Kajukenbo Palama Sets.
For the DVD's
www.kajukenboinfo.com
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

Offline KempoCuban

• White Belt
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2005, 12:26:45 PM »
Thank You Sir for the information you have provided.  The DVD set will make a good stocking stuffer for my family.  I have to assume the Katas from USSD and the west coast Villaris are pretty similar to the ones we on the east coast have.  With all the changing of names it makes it a bit challenging to follow the limbs to get to the root.   Thank you again Sir.
Sensei Joe Viera
Sandan

Offline Rosales

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2005, 03:19:52 AM »
Original Method (Kenpo Branch)

My Instructor is Grand Master Gary Forbach.

Sigung Ray Rosales
Director, Littlle Dragons Program
Inosanto Academy, Los Angeles, California, USA
rrosales@natrol.com
Sigung Ray Rosales 7th Degree Kajukenbo
Affiliations:
Grandmaster Gary Forbach - Original Method Kajukenbo
Guro Dan Inosanto - Kali, JKD, Silat
Arjan Chai - Muay Thai
Nicolas Saignac - Savate
Burt Richardson - Kali, JKD, Silat, Savate, Muay Thai blend