Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
What is Wun Hop Kuen Do?

Author Topic: What is Wun Hop Kuen Do?  (Read 25361 times)

Offline Fluid Dragon

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Re: What is Wun Hop Kuen Do?
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2005, 04:39:05 AM »
Sihing Jason,

The more we talk about WHKD the more it interests me. I very much like that these principles are introduced so early in the development of the student thus fostering their creativity instead of stifling it. Thanks again for the great information.

Also I hope you did not misunderstand me, my instructor also taught me that attacking someone is wrong. I feel the need to make that clear because my actions and my words reflect him and I do not want to dishonor my professor. I was mearly stating that our techniques are taught in the traditional manner of a response to an attack and is dealt with in detail from that perspective. As an attacker the perspective  changes because the rule of engagement makes the attacker dictate the response of the defender thus enabling the attacker to use fakes and other tactics.

I have a feeling that you did understand me but I just wanted to put that out there to make sure that others did as well.

Sibak Harold
Sibak Harold Sy student of Professor Frank Bianchi

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2005, 02:34:20 PM »
Sibak Harold--

I completely understand, no worries  :).  Sifu Al has also emphasized throughout my training that attacking another person is wrong; however, he does make a distinction in that if someone is about to attack you (and you know it) there is nothing wrong in striking first--it may just save your life.  As you mentioned, there are advantages in being the aggressor, and one aspect WHKD studies is how to turn a defensive situation where you lack control into one where you can dictate the outcome.  Part of the difficulty I encountered when starting my WHKD studies was learning how to read a situation correctly, so I would not react either to aggressively or passively in a given situation.  These days, I find my instincts to be finely tuned, but it is something I work on with my students regularly.   
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2005, 11:36:11 AM »
The principles can be applied to defense before any attack actually occurs.  For example, you see that the attacker is reaching for what looks like  a gun in his waistband, what do you do?  Obviously, you attack and you would be within your legal rights.  There are many other situations that I am sure you can think of where attacking before you are actually struck is both legal and necessary.  Second, what about applying your movement, body positioning to better defend and set up your attack to be launched as the attackers hand, foot begins to come out?  You are still not the first to attack, but you give the attacker little chance of landing the technique.  This is the sort of scenario we develop during our drills.  If you wait for the attack before doing anything, you are more likely to get hurt.  I suggest neutralizing the individual without actually striking them.  There are many ways to do this. 8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline Jason Goldsmith

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
    • Tactical Kung Fu and MMA
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2005, 04:34:53 PM »
A protypical example of neutralizing an individual without striking them is to simply offering to buy them a beer, if that is appropriate for the situation. 
Sifu Jason Goldsmith
5th Degree, Wun Hop Kuen Do Kung Fu
Under GM Al Dacascos
Instructor--WHKD
Durham NC and Philadelphia PA
www.tkfmma.com

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2005, 05:45:50 PM »
You could always show them your badge and gun and tell them that they will be arrested after first going to the hospital for medical attention.  That always works for me. 
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 11:00:44 AM »
lol... I like both of those.  They work for me. 8)
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

Offline hunter

• Blue Belt
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2006, 06:35:04 AM »
Is it recommended that citizens carry a badge and gun, then?

Oh, on the meaning of WHKD...it's verrrry cool to receive the
mandarin version.  I suppose it's reasonable to refer to WHKD
as HHQD?   

The Hop is interesting as it corresponds --seemingly-- with the
Ai in Japanese Aikido or the Hap in Korean Hapkido....being
that it is "coordinating" or "harmonizing"....or "combining" !!??
Boston
(where kajukenbo is rare)

Offline KBOWARRIOR

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Train strong to remain strong/keep the flame alive
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2006, 09:15:10 AM »
It works for me because I do carry a badge and several guns.  I have been a cop for 17 years and the last four with the SWAT team.  It was a joke and obviously you didn't get it.
Sifu Mark Wallace
Harper Kajukenbo
Visalia, California
Emperado Revised System

Offline hunter

• Blue Belt
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2006, 02:53:04 PM »
No. I'm just envious that I can't claim the same for myself.   :(
Boston
(where kajukenbo is rare)

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2006, 04:53:39 PM »
It is not so much "coordinating" or "harmonizing" as it is combination or together.  There are really not any English words that grasp the full meaning of a true mixing of styles as this concept.  It is more like a stew with all the seasonings simmered together to make a better flavor. 8)
College Station, TX