Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Chauan Fa today

Author Topic: Chauan Fa today  (Read 45210 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
Re: Chauan Fa today
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2005, 02:50:28 PM »
Interesting forum. I come from the White Tiger Kempo system under Professor Rich Fescina, and from what I have read our arts sound similar. From what I have seen of Original Method Kajukenbo, it looks to me to be more hardline [I have the Alphabet Techniques DVD  ;D]. My system, rather than blocking and stepping back away from the strike, puts more emphasis on doing a fan type block then moving in and smothering the attacker with a flurry of strikes, then ending  w/a takedown. And our blocks are also strikes, as my Sensei says. It sounds kind of like what you have been describing as Chuan Fa. Any opinions on this?

The "Alphabets" are some of the few Kajukenbo techniques where the defender actually "steps back".  Other then some of the knife and club counters, most Kajukenbo defenses involve stepping in or mirrowing the attacker.  The  "alphabets" are also primarily done on your "left" side to sort of balance out all the techniques that are done on the right side in the earlier stages of Kajukenbo training. 
But to look at just the "alphabets" you would not get a good idea of the overall system, and ways of defensive movement.     
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline East Coast Kempo

• White Belt
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2005, 02:41:42 PM »
Thank you Prof. Bishop. I kind of had a feeling that original Kajukenbo would be for the most part like our art. My Sensei has told me time and time again that all our different subdivisions are for the most part the same. Differences from school to school and subdivision to subdivision may change parts of the techniques, but in essence, they're just all variations of the same thing. Not that certain schools don't have their own techniques, but for the most part we're not really all that different.
Matt Cordella, Probationary Shodan
Under the instruction of Sensei Mike Savino
White Tiger Kempo

Always learning...
"No matter what anyone tells you, eating pretzels before your black belt test WILL NOT HELP YOU!"- Life lesson learned the hard way  :-P

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2006, 01:27:06 PM »

Hello

First  The headquarter of Kajukenbo is at Montreal whith Professor Gelinas....Prof Gelinas is the first one to teached Kajukenbo (Emperado and chuan fa method) here...and He s a great teacher and Man

the chuan fa section is propably different from one school to another...Here in Canada ,we have a lot of influenced in our chuan fa from Sifu Keado(dont remember his name) and the chuan fa from the WHKD...since the late Sifu Endrizzi teached here in Quebec...Professor Gelinas could give more information about that...

From what I learned...We have some forms who are the same of the WHKD like Ha kuen,fau yip,lim po....but we have also the forms from Sifu Keado(number forms no name just the dragon dance& the soft form (taiji ) have a name.The punch ,grab,club and knife are almost the same of the WHKD branch....

Chuan fa is a name....more emphasize for the bo of kajukenbo....the core is the emperado method,hard style...
    Im curious how much school teach the chuan fa and what s the curriculum ...since the chuan fa seem to be just a phase
    between the emperado method and the WHKD method....probably each chuan fa are different???

Steve Malette
Kajukenbo /chuan fa  Honor to GM Gelinas,Sifu Baralis.Sifu  Fajardo
Ng Ga kuen Kung fu(GM Ark Yueh Wong system) under Sifu Seming Ma
Kuntao Silat De Thouars Honor to Guru Tuan Randall Goodwin
Who s Who

Vala Au

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2006, 03:38:10 AM »
The Kajukenbo Chuan Fa taught by GM Al Dela Cruz looks more of a southern influence (hung gar, wing chun) than the more northern (higher kicks, longer range) seen in WHKD.  GM Dela Cruz uses alot of what he calls "inside fighting" which looks somewhat like chi sao or trapping done out of a boxing stance with kun tings (nerve strikes/limb destructions) and animal type strikes (tiger claw rakes, snake pokes, leopard paw strkes, etc.)   

Because it is Chuan Fa (fist way) we don't even use the word block.  Everything is a strike.  Attack the attack, counterstrike, multi strikes, all done at very close range, with alot of the boxing influence.  Not that many forms, but alot of drills, rotations, and sparring. Kajukenbo Chuan Fa emphasizes more of a multi-striking flow than pre-set techniques. 

This is only a general description and overview.  For specific curriculum, please contact the source, GM Alfred Dela Cruz, head of the Kajukenbo Chuan Fa Branch here in Hawaii.

Mahalo,

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2006, 10:11:58 PM »

Jason

Interesting Ur post about the Chuan Fa...Gm De La Cruz is the keeper of the chuanfa...

Could u elaborate about the curriculum....Does the forms are pure kung fu forms take from some southern style Do U do the palama sets also? The gunting are in corporate in theHard style(emperado method) from the Filipino MA influened also....from the panantukan boxing.,...

Do U train the punch counters ,grabs .club and knifes?

Thank
   Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Vala Au

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2006, 05:09:59 AM »
Aloha Steve,

We do Palama sets and some forms/drills that are either developed, innovated, or modified by GM Dela Cruz from some Chuan Fa.  We don't use Chinese names but call them by number.

We do punch counters, grab arts, club and knife defenses but numbers and sequence may be slightly different from original/hard style. With the guntings/inside fighting more emphasis is on timing and spontenous flow by using rotation line and continuous drill than the standard punch counter method.

The stick/escrima work we do comes from GM DelaCruz Father who was an escrimador.  Very similiar to Doce Pares/12 strikes. We don't call it Panantukan, but we do punch, kick, and spar with the sticks/knives. GM DelaCruz is an avid western boxer as well.  He 's always willing to share, if you want more info don't hesitate to contact him direct.  KSDIChuanFa@Hawaiiantel.net.

I would encourage you to attend Sijo's seminar in Vegas if you can.  There's a good chance GM Dela Cruz will be there demonstraing/teaching some of his inside fighting and other techniques.

Thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 05:25:38 AM by Vala Au »

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2006, 04:08:20 PM »

Thank Vala Au/Jason

I will contact GM DeLa Cruz......

Does Ur punch counter ,grabs ,knifes and club are the same of WHKD or the Emperado method ...
  Could U give me a exemple of ur punch counter one ....

Thank
 Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Vala Au

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2006, 10:08:25 PM »
Emperado Method with Chuan Fa Style.  I don't know enough about WHKD to comment on the nuances/differences. 

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2006, 07:36:55 PM »

Gerry

Thank for ur input...

the method of GM Dacascos i know it.....Gm DeLaCruz I dont know ....in Chuan fa the late GM Endrizzi was a pionner also ...He came from GM Dacascos ....

Does the chuan fa method have no method .....but a free for all  for each Kajukenbo players who want to put more emphazize in the Bo of Kajukenbo?...in recent time the Ka could mean Karate but also Kali....

I find intertesting to be in the Kajukenbo system (the Core) and could do some style like the Kenpo ,chuan fa ....
and find our methods depending in ur back groundin martial arts ....if its work its kajukenbo.....

I thing the name give us (Kajukenbo) the opportunities to incorporate with free expresssion  ours owns experiences
in the core system of Kajukenbo...
    But the core is the Emperado method....Sijo Now if u had some Kung fu ,Silat ,Kali,or whatever to the core its Kajukenbo anyway...

Great
 Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Vala Au

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2006, 08:29:06 PM »
I'm not sure I agree with you on that last statement Steve, or it got lost in translation.  I don't think Sijo and the other founders just threw whatever into a wok, mixed it up, and then called it Kajukenbo.  They took the best from each particular style, refined it, street tested it, and developed it into what it has become.  Any variations or expressions must be approved by Sijo in order for it to still be considered Kajukenbo or a branch there of.  That's what distinguishes us from any other blended style.

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2006, 08:36:03 PM »
 Vala

Sorry Im French

like U probably know:))

I mean whats u mean ....But if thats work its Kajukenbo ...with the approval of Sijo for sure...

Vala

Could U give me a description of ur first punch counter SVP......pleased

Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline SifuLen

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Thru this Fist Way one gains long life & happiness
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2006, 11:26:50 PM »
Chart 3: WHKD RIGHT HAND PUNCH COUNTERS

Steve hope this helps;

1. Fast kick : as they punch with their boxer type punch, Step to the left to 11:00 and deliver a left inward parry, and a hammerfist to the attackers bicep, simultaneouly deliver a front snapping kick to the groin. and follow up.

2. Fast kick, cross: this is the same trick but after you deliver the front snap kick, cross your right foot over your left foot, pivot and follow with a second front thrust kick to the ribs.

3. Fast kick, throw: this again is building off of the first one as you deliver the front snap kick, you will shuffle your feet to drop down behind the rear leg and deliver a thigh throw to the attacker or backward sweep.

Respectfully,
                                                                                                Sibak Len Torres :o :o :o
Sifu Leonard Torres 3rd degree
Lineage; Sijo-SGM Halbuna-SGM Conway-Me.
At least on the tree but trained with many others.
With all respect to Oahu & Mainland.

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2006, 04:49:50 PM »

Thank Lean

For the description of the Punch counter 1 to 3...

You give me the original method ...here the version I learned the 3 is the same

1. Fast kick : as they punch with their boxer type punch, Step to the left to 11:00 and deliver a left inward parry, and a hammerfist to the attackers bicep, simultaneouly deliver a front snapping kick to the groin. and follow up.Right hand trap and follow with a left finger jab...left  hand trap and follow with a right backfist (or a hammer fist)

2. Fast kick, cross: this is the same trick but after you deliver the front snap kick, cross your right foot over your left foot, pivot and left heel kick(without letting go the right arm of the opponent U have trap with the gunting)pull opponent arm in tigh for a arm bar to the elbow or a break with left hammer to his elbow force downs follow up

3. Fast kick, throw: this again is building off of the first one as you deliver the front snap kick, you will shuffle your feet to drop down behind the rear leg and deliver a thigh throw to the attacker or backward sweep. the same

Thank to share with me
 Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline Steve

• Blue Belt
  • Peace and Love
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »

Sibak Torres

No disrecpful to U

I mean u describe to me mostly  ....the original counter ... without the backfist....anyway all came from the original ...
method....But the number 2 counter ...is the same from the original....

If the guy punch with is left leg forward ....this follow up is the best after the cross over ...if he punch with his right leg forward ....the version I give is good .....good entry for a choke or whaterver...

Sorry my english is not very good ....

Thank for ur sharing and help
   Keep in touch

Steeve

Steve Malette
Who s Who

Offline SifuLen

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • Thru this Fist Way one gains long life & happiness
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2006, 11:12:44 PM »
Steve,

Aucun problème mon ami,
 ne forment un bon nombre durs de sueur !
                                                              L.T. ;D
Sifu Leonard Torres 3rd degree
Lineage; Sijo-SGM Halbuna-SGM Conway-Me.
At least on the tree but trained with many others.
With all respect to Oahu & Mainland.