Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
Chauan Fa today

Author Topic: Chauan Fa today  (Read 45212 times)

Karazenpo

Re: Chauan Fa today
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2003, 05:53:30 AM »
I feel you're absolutely right, Mike. Traditional systems as you mentioned do indeed make the individual "fit" the style. I was in traditional Okinawan GoJu Ryu in my first year in the arts and it was exactly like that. I then watched a kempo class from a Kajukenbo subsystem and I was sold. I switched over immediately. So true, that the style should be tailored to fit the individual and not the other way around!  Thanks Mike, it was a good discussion!  Shihan Joe
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »

Offline shifueddiealcaraz

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
Re:Chauan Fa today
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2003, 04:05:45 PM »
 No Matter which branch/family of Kajukenbo you belong to , how do yo feel the term Chuan Fa relates to the art as you practice it today?

[Understand the word Chuan Fa,"grand ultimate fist",incorporated with KaJuKenBo.
Example:

Ka and Ken, strike w/out warning in close fist manner,with the repitation of kenpo.

Ju, open hand to seize and lock a joint.
To take balance and to throw.

Bo, concept of momentum,sidestepping either direction.
simplicity directness,gross motor movement.
bum-bye aloha
/quote]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2003, 02:44:33 PM by shifueddiealcaraz »

Offline kickman

• White Belt
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2003, 01:44:09 PM »
Based on even the most preliminary research, Chuan Fa is essentially a Mandarin generic reference to martial arts, not unlike gung fu.   As such, it is difficult to acknowledge a basis for any exclusive claims to it.   Other stylists are using the term in their style description as well.  

Just my $0.02.

Sifu Ben Fajardo

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2003, 07:38:08 PM »
History of Kajukenbo Characteristics

To be truely be Kajukenbo, you must not have any characteristics of Kajukenbo.

The History of Kenpo Characteristics
Master Ed Parker's American Kenpo carries with it the rebounding concepts, or some would say slapping art, because it sometimes looks like they hit themselves as much as the opponent, That is a characteristic. Tae Kwon Do with their high kicks, Karate's low Japanese Stances.

In Kajukenbo Chuan fa you should study all the characteristics of each art for programed training reactions. You will be able to tell who they studied with and what style they are, by watching their pre-programed movements and stylized set patterns.

History Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa
Sifu Al's school was called Kajukenbo Chuan fa. Once Prof. Emperado seen it. He said to call it soft style Kajukenbo. The term Sifu was started while at tounaments, students called Sifu Al "Sifu" other students began to ask questions about the difference in the art, which was that Kajukenbo Chu'an Fa filled the gaps between Kajukenbo techniques. Combining Northern and Southern styles of Kung Fu.

Philosophy- Ch'uan Fa
The tactics and philosophy of Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa is to not give the attacking technique the respect that it is asking for. Intercept  it, Absoreb it, redirect it, When you make up your mind to fight or defend yourself you must go all out, above all don't give any attack the respect the opponent is trying to hurt you with. When they give you take when they take you give it back and ever let up until they are on the ground down and out! There is no half way it's all or nothing. We will attack (offense) in a preventive manner, so as not to be put into a siuation of defending or protecting.

Drills that cause characteristics
The different ways that a student trains will develop their characteristics of movement within their chosen art. Watch the way they move and do their techniques. Monitoring what they are doing, how they are standing, how they are counterattacking, what they are attacking with hand techiques or feet techiques or what ever Look for their Strength and weaknesses.

A look at some training concepts:

Four levels of Self Defense
#1 Block and strike #2 Block and strike similtaneously #3 Block becomes strike
#4 strike then block movement (conscious thought) to defend with right principles
Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa will use concept's #2 #3 and #4

The two levels the Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa techniques are more influenced by:
Block and strike simultaneously using opponents attacking movements, snapping techniques, that flow together. Strike than block, using timing to beat the opponent to the draw, and angulation and upper body movement.

Drills from level #3
Using partner throwing left and right punching attacks. "Block becomes the strike"
1. outward block, finger jab 2. inward block, finger jab
3.  upward block, finger jab 4. downward block, finger jab
Using cross-over inward and outward blocks with finger jabs, coming from outside to inside. Using timing and interception.concepts with angulation and body movement.

Drills from level #2
Using partner with throwing left and right punching attacks "block and strike sametime"
1. outward block, chop 2. inward block, chop
3. upward block, chop  4. downward block,chop
You can also add the concept of leg checking and low kicking.

Just touch it principle:
Using partner throwing left and right punches at your chest area, for safety. Beginning with right hand, you will practice slapping the punches or just touching them. Working on the inside first, practice slapping inward and outward the punches. then inward-inward, outward-outward. outward-inward. upward-downward. Remembering if you can touch a punch/kick as it is coming out, you have robbed it of it's power by 70%. If you can touch it you have blocked it, but you must be able to followed up with a counter strike, using angles. Their strike becomes your block and your reaction to their attack. Then You must completely subdue your attacker.

How the Ch'uan Fa blends to Kajukenbo
Ch'uan fa is only a style when blended with Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is the foundation. Ch'uan fa is the bricks. Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa fills the gap's between the basic moves. When we do, we save time and energy by using less movement, by working between the techniques.

I hope this gives you an understanding of Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa, see what you can do with your art, with these new training concepts and principles. These information was taught to me by Sifu Bill Owens, who is in charge of the Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa section.

Sifu Ben Fajardo

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2003, 08:02:47 PM »
KAJUKENBO CHUAN FA OUTLINE

KAJUKENBO

1. HAU KUEN/PINIANS-4 PARTS

2. RIGHT HAND PUNCH COUNTERS

3. GRAB COUNTERS

4. CLUB COUNTERS

5. KNIFE COUNTERS

6. SQUATTING EXCERCISES

CHUAN FA/Wun Hop Kuen Do

1. KICK COMBINATIONS

2. RIGHT HAND PUNCH COUNTERS

3. HAND COMBINATIONS

4. THROWING COUNTERS

5. KICK COUNTERS

6. DROP AND RECOVERS

KUEN/FORMS

1. HAU KUEN

2. FAU YIP

3. LIMPO

4. CHUAN FA IV

5. SUI WAN

6. PAK PAI (SIL-LUM #6)

7. PAK PAI #7

8. PAK PAI #8

9. LO HAN KUEN

10. FU-HAK

11. 18 HANDS OF LO-HAN

CHUAN FA DRILLS

1. CHI SAO

2. HONG SAO

3. PAK SAO

4. REPETITIONS

5. ROTATION LINE

6. MONKEY LINE

7. STREET AND TOURNAMENT

8. CAT WALKING

9. ETC.

Offline Chief Instructor

• Moderators
  • Brown Belt
    • Hokkien Martial Arts
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2003, 07:55:59 PM »
Sifu Ben Fajardo mentioned that Sifu Bill Owens is in charge of the Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa section. I was wondering if Sifu Owens is still a student of Sigung Al Dacascos.
Also, what is the connection between Wun Hop Kuen Do and Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa?
Thank you,
Sigung Andrew Evans, KSDI #888
Hokkien Martial Arts, Topeka, KS
http://www.TopekaKarate.com

Offline envisiontj

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • Thanks Jeff and Boogie!!
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2003, 11:26:02 PM »
This is my understanding -

Sifu Al helped to develop the Chu'an Fa section, then went on to develop Wun Hop Kuen Do as a personal expresssion.  Kajukenbo Chu'an Fa is a blend of the hard and soft of Kajukenbo.  We have the hard roots of Old Style Kajukenbo with more Chinese Kung Fu than Kajukenbo originally incorporated.  I have not studied WHKD, so I have little info on it, except that it was developed to be more "free" and more of a personal expression of the practitioner.

As for Sifu Owens, some info I heard today is that Sifu Owens is not technically under the banner of Kajukenbo Chu'an Fa at this point.  I heard that there are some things being discussed or worked out of which I do not have much info on.  It sounded like alot of political stuff, so I did not ask too many questions, as I personally am not interested in the politics of Kajukenbo.

I hope that helped to answer your questions some, and I hope that none of my info is incorrect.  If any is, it is unintended and I would appreciate correction if needed.

Kajukenbo Forever!!
Sifu Trent Junker
Realm Of The Tiger Kajukenbo - Portland, OR
Under GM Gerry Scott

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2003, 11:35:26 PM »
Maybe someone from Hawaii can elaberate more on this.  But, I was under the impression that Grandmaster Al Delacruz is the head of Chuan Fa, since he was one of the co-founders of the Chuan Fa branch, and Grandmaster Dacascos has moved on to Won Hop Kuen Do.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Karazenpo

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 10:33:17 AM »
#4 strike then block movement (conscious thought) to defend with right principles

Aloha Sifu Ben, could you please elaborate more on #4.
Thanks. Respectfully submitted, Shihan Joe

Offline cirillo

• Blue Belt
    • Wun Hop Kuen Do
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2003, 03:45:57 PM »
I spoke to Sifu Owens today.  He had a few comments.

First, the term Ch'uan Fa is used by a number of different styles in different ways.  It is more of a phrase than the name of a system.  The Ch'uan Fa that he does is different than many of the others and he only claims those practitioners that are under his Ch'uan Fa.  This is probably what Sifu Fajardo is referring to.

Second, he is still under Sifu Dacascos.

I hope this helps with some of the confusion. But if you have more questions, you are welcome to contact him directly at:  (510) 638-9990.
Sifu Jeffrey D. Cirillo,  7th Degree Black belt in Wun Hop Kuen Do under GM Al Dacascos and 3rd Degree in FaChuan (Blossom Fist) under Sifu Bill Owens with over 35 years experience in the martial arts.
College Station, TX

ben fajardo

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2004, 01:35:46 PM »
The application of the 4 th level of defense is that you monitor the body to pick up the attack angle, and while the punch is just starting at you, you use footwork and a defensive body angle, for an example defending a Rt. round house punch: you would side step inside the punch and counter with your own punch to your target and then if the punch is still coming, you would block it! I hope that this helps you?

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2004, 02:38:42 PM »

I train in the Tum Pai system of Kajukenbo.  We learn the levels in terms of timing.  The exact terms elude me at the moment but basically they are after, during and before.  
After is the beginner technique where you wait for the attack, identify then react.  e.g. See it, block it then strike.
During is more intermediate where identify the attack and block/strike as he is delivering.  
Before is the advanced timing where you actually know the attacker is gonna strike before he actually does and beat him to it.  
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline guarded

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • He who hesitates, meditates; horizontally!
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2004, 02:53:39 PM »
Quote from: Sifu Ben Fajardo date=1065055088

In Kajukenbo Chuan fa you should study all the characteristics of each art for programed training reactions. You will be able to tell who they studied with and what style they are, by watching their pre-programed movements and stylized set patterns.

Philosophy- Ch'uan Fa
The tactics and philosophy of Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa is to not give the attacking technique the respect that it is asking for. Intercept  it, Absoreb it, redirect it, When you make up your mind to fight or defend yourself you must go all out, above all don't give any attack the respect the opponent is trying to hurt you with. When they give you take when they take you give it back and ever let up until they are on the ground down and out! There is no half way it's all or nothing. We will attack (offense) in a preventive manner, so as not to be put into a siuation of defending or protecting.

Just touch it principle:
Using partner throwing left and right punches at your chest area, for safety. Beginning with right hand, you will practice slapping the punches or just touching them. Working on the inside first, practice slapping inward and outward the punches. then inward-inward, outward-outward. outward-inward. upward-downward. Remembering if you can touch a punch/kick as it is coming out, you have robbed it of it's power by 70%. If you can touch it you have blocked it, but you must be able to followed up with a counter strike, using angles. Their strike becomes your block and your reaction to their attack. Then You must completely subdue your attacker.

Ch'uan fa is only a style when blended with Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is the foundation. Ch'uan fa is the bricks. Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa fills the gap's between the basic moves. When we do, we save time and energy by using less movement, by working between the techniques.

Very cool.  You can pretty much replace Ch'uan Fa with Tum Pai in these quotes.  I believe Ch'uan Fa was originally Tum Pai before it was actually named Ch'uan Fa.  The intercept, absorb and redirect sounds exactly like what we do in Tum Pai.  Kajukenbo blended with Tai Chi is very efficient yet brutally effective.  
Jerry Guard
Kajukenbo Tum Pai Brown/Black Sash under Prof. Steve Larson          My everyday stance is my fighting stance.  My fighting stance is my everyday stance.

Offline Prof. Ben Fajardo

• Senior Black Belt
  • Blue Belt
  • Professor Ben Fajardo
    • WHKD-Nubreed Fighting Systems
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2005, 10:30:11 PM »
History of Kajukenbo Characteristics
To be truely  Kajukenbo, you must not have any characteristics of Kajukenbo.

History of Kenpo Characteristics
Grandmaster Ed Parker's American Kenpo carries with it the rebounding concepts, or some one not trained in it's principles would say the slapping art, because it sometimes looks like they hit themselves as much as the opponent. That is  only one characteristic of Kenpo. Tae Kwon Do with there high kicks, Shotokan Karate's low Japanese Stances just point a few out.  In Kajukenbo Chuan fa you should study all the characteristics of each art for pre-programed training reactions. Thus, You will be able to tell who they studied with and what style they are from. Simply- by watching their preprogramed movements and stylized set patterns.

The History Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa
Sifu Al's school was called Kajukenbo Chuan fa. Once Prof. Emperado seen it. He said to call it the soft style of Kajukenbo. The term Sifu was started while at tounaments, students called Sifu Al "Sifu" When other students began to ask questions about the difference in Kajukenbo and Chuan fa. Which the answer was! Kajukenbo Chu'an Fa was developd, simply to fill the gaps between the original Kajukenbo techniques. How was that done? By Combining Northern and Southern styles of Kung Fu and blending them with the Roots of Kejukenbo.

The Philosophy- Ch'uan Fa
The concepts and principles of Kajukenbo Ch'uan Fa is to not give the attacker the respect that ihe is asking for, as a Chuan Fa practitioner  you would Intercept  it, Absorb it, redirect it, and use his enrgy against him. In Chuan Fa  when you make up your mind to fight or defend yourself you must go all out, above all don't give any attack the respect the opponent is trying to hurt you with. When they give you take when they take you give it back and never let up until they are on the ground down and out! There is no half way it's all out or nothing. We will attack (offense) in a preventive manner, so as not to be put into a siuation of defending or protecting.

Drills that cause characteristics
The different ways that a student trains will develop their characteristics of movement within their chosen art. Watch the way they move and do their techniques. Monitoring what they are doing, how they are standing, how they are counterattacking, what they are attacking with? hand techiques or feet techiques or what ever Look for their Strength and weaknesses.

#4 strike then block movement (conscious thought) to defend with right principles.

The two levels the Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa techniques are more influenced by:
Block and strike simultaneously using opponents attacking movements, snapping techniques, that flow together. Strike than block, using timing to beat the opponent to the draw, and angulation and upper body movement.

Drills from level #3
Using partner throwing left and right punching attacks. "Block becomes the strike"
1. outward block, finger jab 2. inward block, finger jab
3.  upward block, finger jab 4. downward block, finger jab
Using cross-over inward and outward blocks with finger jabs, coming from outside to inside. Using timing and interception concepts with angulation and body movement. You see how the principles fill in the gaps of defending and counter.

Drills from level #2
Using partner throwing left and right punching attacks "block and strike sametime"
1. outward block, slide up arm to chop 2. inward block, slide up arm  to chop
3. upward block slide down to chop  4. downward block slide up to chop
You can also add the concept of leg checking and low kicking to the shins and feet.

Just touch it principle:
Using partner throwing left and right punches at your chesh area, for safety. Beginning with right hand, you will practice slapping the punches or just touching them. Working on the inside first, practice slapping inward with the palm and outward with the back of the hand both punches. then inward-inward, outward-outward. outward-inward. upward-downward. Remembering if you can touch it as it is coming out, you have robbed the punch of it's power by 70%. If you can touch it you have blocked 70% of it's attacking force. But within the Chuan Fa  concepts it must be followed up with a counter strike and or countered from an angles. Basically their strike becomes your block and your reaction to their attack determines the follow up. You must completely subdue your attacker on the first beat on attack.

Ch'uan fa is only a style when blended with the root Kajukenbo. Kajukenbo is the foundation Ch'uan fa is the bricks. Kajukenbo Ch'uan fa fills the gap's between the basic moves. When we follow this we save time and energy, and less movement, Chuan Fa is the art of working your bsasics between the basics.

These information was taught to me by Sifu Bill Owens Kajukenbo Wun Hop Kuen Do/ Chuan Fa. I know there is many other mehtods of defining Chuan Fa. I just thought I would share my understanding and expression of it! Sifu Ben Fajardo

Professor Ben Fajardo-Kajukenbo WHKD under GM Al Dacascos.
Train the way you fight and fight the way you train..
http://www.makephpbb.com/nubreed/

Offline East Coast Kempo

• White Belt
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2005, 02:12:12 PM »
Interesting forum. I come from the White Tiger Kempo system under Professor Rich Fescina, and from what I have read our arts sound similar. From what I have seen of Original Method Kajukenbo, it looks to me to be more hardline [I have the Alphabet Techniques DVD  ;D]. My system, rather than blocking and stepping back away from the strike, puts more emphasis on doing a fan type block then moving in and smothering the attacker with a flurry of strikes, then ending  w/a takedown. And our blocks are also strikes, as my Sensei says. It sounds kind of like what you have been describing as Chuan Fa. Any opinions on this?
Matt Cordella, Probationary Shodan
Under the instruction of Sensei Mike Savino
White Tiger Kempo

Always learning...
"No matter what anyone tells you, eating pretzels before your black belt test WILL NOT HELP YOU!"- Life lesson learned the hard way  :-P