Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate

Author Topic: The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate  (Read 43490 times)

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Blue Belt
Re:The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 09:24:25 PM »
Welcome to the website Sifu Harris.  You are very lucky and proud; I'm sure to be a student of GM Alan Reyes.  I too am from the Reyes Method of KAJUKENBO "Kenpo Karate".  I was very fortunate to have trained and studied with the Late GM Aleju Reyes Sr. in Suisun as well as Vacaville, CA.
Although I have traveled and tried learning a little of the other methods and branches of KAJUKENBO, my roots, my heart and my soul is from Reyes Kenpo Karate - Hard Style.
The hard training and beatings gave me strength and power that carried over into any method or style I tried.
All of KAJUKENBO is great, but thank God for the training we received from GM Aleju "Al" Reyes.
I will always love and respect the Reyes name and legacy.  Forever!
I hope to see you back on the site soon.  (I'm still a "Cafe" rookie too)
Respectfully
Gary L. Forbach
KAJUKENBO
P.S.  It would be fantastic to have GM Alan involved in this forum.  Maybe you and his students can convince him to contribute to the forum built by his Fathers hard work and dedication.  We could use his knowledge and wisdom.
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 04:13:19 PM »
GM Forbach,sir, I`m still just a student (green/blue) but I think we might have shared the mat in the 70`s at Travis AFB,I was there with sifu Rollie and sifu Merlonghi I still see sifu Merlonghi from time to time.GM Reyes is doing great!! I am very proud to have him as a teacher and friend and be a part of the Reyes family.Thank you for the post and congratulations on your promotion.Respectfully Rob.
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2004, 03:39:35 PM »
I find that in training kenpo hardstyle knowlage and conditioning go hand in hand.We train hard today so we can train harder tomarrow.I love the mential hardening of always being pushed to my limits then, go some more.Kenpo for life! Rob

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2004, 11:40:47 AM »
Rob,
You're exactly right! My teacher, the Late Grand Master Aleju Reyes used to say "Train strong, to remain strong".  This simple philosophy has been a major factor in the strength and growth of all KAJUKENBO methods and branches from the beginning.
I have been fortunate to have studied most of the major methods of our art as well as Chinese, Japanese and Korean Martial Arts and my KAJUKENBO foundation made it much easier to adapt to their training styles.
Sijo Emperado once said to my students and I in San Clemente that "When you are at a point in your training when you are trying to perfect your advanced techniques, you should never, never forget your basics.  All KAJUKENBO advanced techniques contain, and are comprised of our basics."
I believe that all of our Grand Masters, Professors, Sigungs and Sifus should practice and review the KAJUKENBO basics and original techniques so that the roots and flavor of KAJUKENBO never disappear and that we can all feel confident that those we follow truley represent and propagate this great art and lifestyle.
GM Gary L. Forbach
KAJUKENBO FOREVER.....
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline curry

• Yellow Belt
  • mitakuye oyisan
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2004, 05:05:04 AM »
hello,
i am currently living in england. rob harris could you please pass my respects to proffessor reyes. i understand that reyes kenpo has moved from the texas st. location. could you possibly email me the new location or an e mail address i could write to. thankyou, p. curry
phil curry
reyes kenpo student on sabatical

Sifu Jay Ortiz

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2004, 11:50:07 AM »
Aloha,

This is my first post. Sifu Israel Gonzalez told me about the cafe so I took advantage of the long weekend to check it out. Good stuff.

I am a student of Sigung Richard Peralta and as such am proud to report that traditional hard style Kajukembo is alive and well in Texas. Although fast approaching his 70th birthday, there is no letting up in our esteemed professor.

Regarding the alphabets, E&B Bautista is correct. Joe Davis has the original body of work. Mr. Davis comes through town to visit Sigungs Peralta and Nahoolewa so we have been fortunate to train and participtae in discussions with three students of Al Reyes. Great perspectives and even better stories.

Sifu Jay Ortiz

Offline Mitch Powell

• Senior Black Belt
  • Brown Belt
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2004, 06:26:28 PM »
Sifu Ortiz,
Grandmaster Davis will be happy to read your kind words. I just walked in the door from our Sunday training class where Grandmaster Davis worked hand in hand with one of my students.

Grandmaster Davis has much love for Richard Peralta and Don Nahoolewa. He has told many stories about the days when they all trained together under their late teacher, Aleju Reyes.

You are very fortunate to have had the opportunity to train from Grandmaster Davis. He's very selective with whom he shares his knowledge. I know he really enjoys the group in Texas. He lights up when he talks about you guys.

Sifu, as you probably know, Grandmaster Davis is one of those guys who has written out every techniques and every form he was ever taught. He has kept the knowledge he was taught from Aleju Reyes seperate from any add libs or changes that he came up with on his own.

His bible actually has, "Original Movements." And then, at the bottom of each technique, he has "Additional Movements." That way he doesn't mix it up.

For several years he has been teaching at my teacher, Grandmaster Emil Bautista's Kajukenbo Self Defense Institute in Vallejo, Ca. on a regular basis, usually Thursday nights. At times, he even comes to our weekend classes, like today.

Grandmaster Davis is the person who taught me the Alphabets and was present when we filmed the Alphabet Techniques DVD that we have been selling (MAD Productions). He was in fact, the Technical Advisor for the training series. Without out him, I believe that knowledge would have died. Now, it will live forever!

Grandmaster Davis is a remarkable person and a great teacher. For those interested in hosting him for a seminar, you can reach him through me or Sibak Serene Terrazas (Kajushodan).

Professor Mitch Powell
KSDI, Vallejo
Powell's MMA Academy (KSDI#549)
Grandmaster Mitch Powell (Emperado Method)
(707) 344-1655  coachmitchpowell@hotmail.com

Offline Sifu Jay Ortiz

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2004, 11:12:17 AM »
Prof. Powell,

We have indeed been fortunate to train with men of such distinction. Fortunately for Kajukembo, they have passed on that knowledge to succeeding generations. Mr. Davis has been more than generous with his material so I am familiar with the "bible". Its a great reference to gain perspective on a particular Master's thought process. Some changed a technique to use timing to offset the attacker's power while others incorporated judo/jujitsu. Things have changed so much over the years that its a blessing to have the original body of work and try to understand why some folks deviated.

Sifu Jay Ortiz
KSDS, Texas
Kajukembo Self-Defense Systems
Train Hard. Stay Strong.

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2004, 01:45:25 AM »
Aloha Sifu Ortiz, and welcome to the cafe!

GM Davis is indeed a great asset to the art. He shared many stories with me during his visit here for a four day seminar in my school this past May. He left me a copy of his "bible" for future reference on the original method as taught by GM Aleju Reyes. Like the late GM Reyes, he too documented everything he was taught.

Prof. Powell, you are blessed to have him there with you to share his knowledge. I have seen one of your tapes. Those are also a great reference to go by when studying the Original Method. Keep up the good work!

Respectfully,
Sifu Gonzales.
Sifu Israel Gonzales
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2004, 05:09:40 PM »
Welcome Sifu Ortiz: ;D

I am Grandmaster Joe Davis's student Sibak Serene Terrazas.

Yes, he too speaks highly of all of you. When he shares his stories, videos and pictures with me I feel the joy in his heart.

I hope one day to meet Sigungs Peralata and Nahoolewa as well as all of you. I have the notes that Sigung Nahoolwea taught back in the 1960's. It's great I often look back and wonder how in the world did they do some of those drills. ;)  When I ask GM Davis he just laughs and than he makes me do the drills, ouch. I don't wonder out loud anymore. ;)  

I received some great photos from Sifu Israel from the seminar this May in Texas. Thank you Sifu Israel.

Did you go to Sifu Cox's seminar? We train from time to time with his students Sifu Claude Lawson, Sibak Steven and Sibak Rodell at our school in American Canyon, Ca.

Our best to you, Sigungs Peralata and Nahoolewa. Grandmaster Davis doesn't post but he is a frequent viewer.  ;)I'm positive he is filled with joy to see you post.

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

napashifu

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2004, 11:29:26 PM »
Aloha :D
Serene

Where in A.C. is your school located.
and what are your hours?

Mahalo 8)
Mike Ritchie.
Guangxi School
Napa.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 11:30:24 PM by napashifu »

Offline Israel Gonzales

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • www.themartialart.com
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2004, 02:31:30 AM »
You're welcome Serene. Feel free to share the pics with the rest of our lineage there if you like. Especially GM Davis. He was definately an inspiration to all of us.

We all did indeed participate in the KSDS seminar at Sifu Cox's school a couple of weeks ago. It had a great turnout in students and instructors.

We were fortunate to have Prof. Agustin Lopez from Madrid Spain, Sigung Dan Frazier and Grand Master Richard Peralta teaching. We were honored to have a representative from the A.A.U. that came to observe and train. All went very well.

Respectfully,
Sifu Gonzales.

Sifu Israel Gonzales
Fort Worth, Texas.
(Sijo Emperado - GM Aleju Reyes - GM Richard Peralta - Israel Gonzales)
www.themartialart.com

Offline Sifu Jay Ortiz

• BlackBelt
  • White Belt
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2004, 12:51:34 PM »
Thanks Serene,

I am sure you feel as fortunate to train with GM Davis as we feel about training with GM Peralta. Your riding a learning curve that seems to have no ending. A painful ride but what a great ride it is! Have no doubt that your visit here would be warmly received. Just be forewarned that when you ask a question and Sigung Peralta gets a gleam in his eye.....tighten up!

I was fortunate enough to attend Sifu Cox's seminar. It was very well attended and by the comments received all appear to have benefited.

At some point in the future some of us have to get out to California and train with you folks. There is so much to learn that one life time is not enough.

Aloha,

Jay Ortiz
KSDS, Texas
Train Hard. Stay Strong.

Offline Serene

• BlackBelt
  • Brown Belt
  • It Is What It Is
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2004, 01:52:41 PM »
Good Morning Sifu Ortiz, Sifu Gonzales, Sibak Mike:

How great it is for you guys to share with us. It just makes me smile to see more of you on line.

Yes, I agree how very fortunate we are to have such great teachers. Yes every class is a learning experience.

Sifu Ortiz, I can relate GM Davis often says "no, like this", than you know kiss your you know what bye bye-but its all good. ;)  Thank you for the advice - I will tighten up when I meet GM Peralta.

I agree we are long overdue we all need to get together soon.  ;D

GM Davis speaks highly of Sifu Cox too. We are pleased to know that all went well at the seminar. Excellent!

How is Sifu Burt Vickers do you see him too? If you do please give him our best.

Also, we finally received our studio photos so we will be able to send photos of GM Davis very very soon. ;D

Greetings Sibak Mike our class schedules are:

Mon & Wed: 5-6:30 p.m. children (traditional)
Wed: 7:00-9:00 adults (traditional)
Thurs: 5:45-6:45 cardio kickboxing (non-traditional)

We are located at 260 American Canyon Road in their community center.  

As always you are more than welcome to attend the classes. If you'd like you may come and teach too. :)

Soifua,

Sifu Serene Terrazas
Head Instructor
Terrazas Kajukenbo
American Canyon, Ca.

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2004, 03:12:48 PM »
So,is there a differance between Emperado Method and Original Method? If so what are they? respectfully Rob