Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /home/kajukenb/public_html/cafe/Sources/Load.php(183) : runtime-created function on line 3
The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate

Author Topic: The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate  (Read 43489 times)

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate
« on: December 30, 2002, 07:26:37 AM »
Kajukenbo is a Internationally recognized martial art founded in Hawaii in 1949.
The evolution of art began in 1947 when Adriano D. Emperado, Joe Holck, Frank Ordonez, George C. Chang, and Peter Choo formed the Black Belt Society.  
These men were experts in different martial arts.  Adriano Emperado was William Chow's first  Kenpo Karate black belt, and also had trained in Escrima.
Peter Choo was a boxing champion and had received training  in Tang Soo Do karate.
Frank Ordonez's style was Sekeino Ryu Ju Jitsu.
Joe Holck had trained with both Henry Okazaki, and Sig Kufferath, and earned black belts in Kodokan Judo and Danzan Ryu Jujitsu.
Clarence Chang was a Sil-Lum Pai Kung Fu stylist.
Together they trained for 3 years exchanging ideas and techniques.  Kenpo Karate became the heart of the system and techniques from the other systems were added to the Kenpo to enhance it's effectiveness.  
By 1949 they systemized a martial art system that combined the techniques of all their systems.
The system was then named "Kajukenbo".  Ka for karate, Ju for Judo and Ju Jitsu, Ken for Kenpo, and bo for Chinese boxing(kung fu).
Of the five founders, Emperado continued spreading and improving Kajukenbo. Today Kajukenbo is practiced worldwide, and has 4 methods, Kajukenbo Original (sometimes called Kenpo Karate branch), Chuan Fa, Tum Pai, and Won Hop Kuen Do.        
The Original Method consists of 14 Palama Sets (katas), 21 punch counters, 13 club counters, 15 knife counters, 15 grab arts, 8 two man attack counters, 1 three man attack counter, and 26 alphabet techniques(combination techniques).  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by 1054443600 »
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
    • Watch the Lamb Ministries
Re: The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2002, 03:59:59 PM »
Does anyone know where I can obtain a detailed list of the 26 alphabet techniques (written form or on tape) ?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:12 PM by -1 »
Sibak Mellody Porter
ANDERSON MARTIAL ARTS - Grafton, Ohio
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2002, 04:18:35 AM »
It is my understanding that there are more than just the 26 Alphabets, but there are, in fact, a second set of 26 alphabets. What is the difference? And who has them all?
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Offline John Bishop

• Senior Black Belt
  • Black Belt
  • Seek Knowledge, Not Rank
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2003, 08:53:16 AM »
Instructors who know all 26 alphabets are rare.  I have yet to meet one.  It sure would be a good subject for a seminar.
As to a second set, I have heard rumors as to their existance, but again have never been witness to the techniques being taught.  
With most of the early Kajukenbo instructors spreading out from Hawaii and losing touch with each other in the 60s, I'm sure some techniques have been both lost and added by some.
Perhaps some of our senior instructors can add to this topic.  
John Bishop  8th Degree-Original Method 
Under Grandmaster Gary Forbach
K.S.D.I. # 478, FMAA

"You watch, once I'm gone, all the snakes will start popping their heads up!"  Sijo Emperado

Offline palama50

• Senior Black Belt
  • White Belt
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2003, 06:51:22 PM »
Mell In  reference to your question regarding the Alphabet Techniques, Sigung John is of course correct, in that its very difficult to find an instructor that knows them all. There is more than one "alphabet" and in the one I'm familiar with only a small group have been taught them all. Keep in mind that these techniques have their roots in your Kajukenbo  "basics" which we all continue to practice. I hope this helps to answer your question  

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 04:50:18 PM »
This question is directed to Palama50 -

Am I correct in believing you know all 26 of one of the sets?  Our school has A through I.  We would like to learn a few more.  If you have more that you might be able to share, let me know and I will describe our "A" for you to see if we are on the same page.  Thanks!
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Rob Poelking

• Sifu
  • Administrator
  • Brown Belt
  • Kajukenbo Forever
    • Anderson Martial Arts
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2003, 07:30:33 AM »
Mell, I would be happy to demonstrate for you Mike's version of Alphabet "A." It is quite different from the "Original Method" A.

I have had the delightful oppourtunity to train with Sigung Mike and I hope to again. Next time I'll bring the video camera!
Rob Poelking, Black Belt, Original Method
Black belt under Sigung Ray Anderson
http://www.ohiokajukenbo.com

Sigung Ray NJ

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 07:48:42 PM »
I have my Alfabets in a video if some one needs them e-mail me ;D

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2003, 06:12:42 PM »
I think Sigung Bishops idea would be great.  Maybe someone out there could try and get other instructors to do a special seminar class at one of the Kajukenbo tournaments in Las Vegas?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:01 PM by -1 »
Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

Offline Mike Nagano

• BlackBelt
  • Yellow Belt
    • Kajukenbo
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2003, 09:44:55 PM »
I also agree.  That would make a fascinating seminar to learn the rest of the original alphabets!
Sifu Mike Nagano
Bishop's Kajukenbo Academy

Philip Gelinas

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2003, 11:30:16 AM »
The problem with the 26 "alphabet" techniques is that they are different for every family head, The techniques you will see from a GM Tony Ramos decendant will be different from those descended from GM Aleju Reyes. It is the way Kajukenbo has always worked. I recieved my alphabet from the group of  techniques Sijo Emperado was teaching while he was living at Vince Black's home in San Diego in the late 1980's.  They are completely different from what I have seen in Gary Forbach's video series (2nd edition).

If they can't agree about their history how on earth are they going to agree about something like this?

Philip Gelinas

Offline Mell

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • www.watchthelamb.com
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2003, 07:12:35 PM »
If you are interested in information regarding Alphabet Techniques - go to the Events Listing of the forum.

There is talk about a seminar in California to teach all the techniques from one of the branches.

Sibak Mellody Porter
www.ohiokajukenbo.com
www.watchthelamb.com

E_and_B_Bautista

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2003, 05:12:44 PM »
Just to let one know that GrandMaster Alan Reyes and Professor Joe Davis do have the origanal 26 letters of the alphabet taught to them by the late Master Aleju Reyes. They are still teaching them.
E.& B.Bautista

Offline GForbach

• Gary Forbach
  • Blue Belt
Re:The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2004, 11:24:28 AM »
Hello to all of you and thank you for allowing me to moderate this "historic" section of the Cafe!!
I want to share some of the history and teachings I have been taught since the beginning of my KAJUKENBO training.
But first let me make it perfectly clear that I "DO NOT" claim to be the single source for the growth and development of the "Original Method".  First "Original Method" does not mean "the only method"!  Because of the growth and evolution of KAJUKENBO it became necessary to identify the "framework" and foundation of the Art.
My expression of this foundation came, for the most part from the late Grand Master Aleju Reyes.  It was fortunate for me that he had been Sijo's "Secretary/Treasure" and documented techniques, names and history.
His training was definitely HARD STYLE.
So in the next few weeks I will begin a series of posts about "The Original Method" as I experienced it.

Respectfully
Gary Forbach
KAJUKENBO
« Last Edit: July 18, 2004, 11:26:38 AM by GForbach »
Gary Forbach, 9th Degree Original Method Kajukenbo under GM Aleju Reyes and Sijo A.D. Emperado

Offline HARDWORK

• BlackBelt
  • Blue Belt
  • any thing worth having,is worth working for!
Re:The Original Method, aka Kenpo Karate
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2004, 10:34:45 AM »
Hello,I am a proud student of GM Alan M. Reyes,who is still teaching The Original Method "Hard Style" P.S this is my first post.
Sifu Rob Harris 3rd degree -Reyes Kenpo